Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 11:31 am    

Please close

Last edited by Earl Terry on 29 Dec 2018 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 11:56 am    

Why do you feel the need to even consider this? I briefly played a BMI once and the mechanics seemed fine. I think this is probably a very bad idea that will significantly reduce the value of your steel if you try it. But then I could be wrong.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 12:19 pm    

I've never converted a BMI but I have converted a ZB to a conventional cross shaft configuration, not for the feint of heart, though! Whoa!
Erv

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 1:31 pm    

Paul. This is a pretty and nice sounding guitar. The quality of the undercarrigage looks and performs as if made from parts from K-mart or from a US salvage sale. None of the pedals or knee levers, ever sound the same twice in a role. I could go on. Thanks. Also I'm at 75 years old now and not concerned about it's resale.

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 3:00 pm    

Can you post pic? I'm curious.

BMI that I've see had those all metal cross shafts with holes drilled in. Seems beefier than bell cranks.

Also I never had any problems with my past BMI. I think you'd be better off shipping it to BMI for a setup...

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 3:06 pm    

Earl Terry wrote:
The qualiity of the undercarrigage looks and performs as if made from parts from K-mart or from a US salvage sale.

Perhaps someone removed the BMI parts and went to K-Mart or a salvage sale and rebuilt it.

BMI guitars are a bit unconventional; but, are great guitars.

Mine sounds good and stays in tune. The mechanical aspects of the pull system are smooth, quiet, and they operate as well as any of the guitars I've owned over the years.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 9:55 am    

Yes a picture would satify this mystery. I think BMI engineering is brilliant. The flat wide shaft idea is very stable and is hard to beat for reliabilty and adjustability. They DO use cotter pins to secure the pull rods. Maybe that’s a problem.....???
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 2:38 am    

Thank You

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 5:22 am    

There was an evaluation of the Franklin guitar in a PSGA newsletter. The evaluation was by a well known PSGA contributor and not very flattering and one statement was about "hardware store". The K-Mart association reminded me of the hardware store comment. Obviously with the desirability that many have toward the Franklin and their resale price that evaluation didn't "hold water".

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 3:31 pm    

BMI are awesome guitars, I had a gorgeous blue D10 that I should have never sold

high quality parts, I don't understand the "Kmart" thing, unless your guitar was heavily modified ...

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 4:35 pm    

BMI has a good changer system stops are built into the cross bars one of the most trouble free steels you can buy. Maybe we should covert some of the to brand name steels to the BMI wide cross bar system an use the BMI changer system. You would not see knee leaver stops screwed into your wood cabinet.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 4:11 am    

Those are decent guitars, so if you're having issues, I'd guess the guitar probably just needs to be set up properly. Don't live with a guitar that's fighting you. Either get it to a reputable tech, or just sell it and get something different. Wink