The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dave Zirbel at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 11:03 pm    

Dave Zirbel played his new Sierra at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco. Video at www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2018/webcast/archive.shtml?mrid=119613

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 2:38 am    

Hey b0b,

Would love to see the footage but, excuse my ignorance, what is the artist's name? Seems you need it to navigate the site

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 3:27 am    

Greg Milton wrote:
Hey b0b,

Would love to see the footage but, excuse my ignorance, what is the artist's name? Seems you need it to navigate the site

Just click on the link. The correct video should load and appear on your computer screen. It may take just a bit to load.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 7:49 am    

Great looking guitar, but where's the logo?? Confused

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 8:29 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Great looking guitar, but where's the logo?? Confused

I see a hint of it there. It looks like it was routed for the inlay, or that the inlay is wood. I haven't seen it in person yet.

Mine doesn't have a logo at all. I ordered it that way, thinking that it looks more "classical". Also, mine was a prototype (Ross Shafer started building it in 2016) and there was no guarantee at the time that Sierra would go through with production. I didn't want to advertise a guitar that people couldn't buy.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 8:29 am    

Greg Milton wrote:
Hey b0b,

Four Year Bender

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 10:35 am    

Way to go, Dave.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 12:19 pm    

Nice job Dave. Concerning the logo, I believe it's inlaid. Here's a Ross post that shows a few guitars with the logo. It's a subtle logo unlike some of the badges on other guitars.

I think it's classy. MOF, I think the entire guitar design and build is classy. Maybe the look of the future for pedal steel guitars. JMO.

Ross Shafer wrote:
Its getting exciting here on the Rockin' Bar L Ranch....final assembly is underway on three gorgeous new Sierras! Can't wait to hear these lovelies sing!

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 7 Oct 2018 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 12:34 pm    

Looks like it was a fun gig Dave.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 7:13 pm    

Super looking Sierra guitars. I'm going to head over to Hardly SB and have a listen.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 8:38 pm    

I just listened to the whole set by Four Year Bender. That's a great band. I heard shades of Jerry Garcia a time or two on the PSG, and some great tele work by Dave late in the set. I particularly liked the rhythm section.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 2:28 am    

Nice Playing, Dave! Great licks about 23:30. Good, clear and stable video. Man, that Sierra sounds great and looks great.

Aaron Johnson

Lemoore, CA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2018 6:01 am    

I enjoyed the entire set. It's nice they record and post the shows.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 5:59 am    

Pretty darn fun event! There were other steel players there as well, Josh Yenne performed with David Lunning, Don Pawlek was with Dale Watson, and Dan Lebowitz with Lebo and Friends. We set up on the stage that Steve Earle was performing on and I saw a nice Show Pro up there....not sure who the player is....I'll bet there were more!

Such a nice event put on by the Hellman foundation. Lucky and honored to be a part of it (5th or 6th time playing there!Smile )

Quote:
I particularly liked the rhythm section.

Me too! I love that band!

Thanks!

Dave Embarassed

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 7:38 am    

Love the dancing fingers! Congrats to my local steel bros Dave Zirbel and Josh Yenne for performing at such a cool event!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 8:07 am    

The way most folks do Hardly Strictly Bluegrass which includes several stages in different "meadows" in Golden Gate Park is to put your tarp and low backed beach chairs at one stage where you might spend the majority of the day and periodically you leave to visit other stages. Three days, Fri.-Sunday. I went Friday and Saturday, I'm good for 2 out 3 these days. All three days is too much for the aging knees. There is a lot of walking and carrying stuff.

I was walking by the Banjo Stage (our home base on Sat. was the Rooster Stage) while Four Year Bender was on. I'm thinking, "wait a second - that's Dave on pedal steel!"

Dave, remember it was about the third or fourth year of the festival, maybe 2003-04 and you were in The Lucky Dawgs with Kevin Russell, Terry Pinnegar, etc. playing on one of the smaller stages. At an adjoining larger stage they lost power. At Dave's stage there was a large generator. The Dawgs weren't so lucky that day - their set was cut short because a forklift came and snagged the generator to utilize with the more famous band at the Arrow Stage.

My friend Terry didn't mind so much, he said it gave him a chance to hang out backstage where Dave was on Saturday (Banjo) and he got to meet Emmylou and Gillian Welch, so he was good. Cool

For some context the Banjo Stage is located at the former Speedway Meadow, where Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Big Brother, Quicksilver, etc. used to play free concerts back in the day. It has been rechristened as Hellman Hollow in honor of the late billionaire financier Warren Hellman, founder of the festival and a banjo player.

Also in attendance with various acts this weekend on pedal steel and dobro was fellow forumite Steve Fishell. Great job Fish!

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 9 Oct 2018 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 8:40 am    

Quote:
t Dave's stage there was a large generator. The Dawgs weren't so lucky that day - their set was cut short because a forklift came and snagged the generator to utilize with the more famous band at the Arrow Stage.

That was funny. They didn't even tell us, we lost power in the middle of a song. I guess Dave Alvin was a bigger draw than the Lucky Dawgs! LOL! Very Happy

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 9:29 am    

I forgot that it was Dave Alvin! He put on a great set at the Banjo Stage with Jimmie Dale Gilmore this past Friday. The man seems to improve with age.

I'll never forget the dumbfounded look on Kevin Russell's face when they pulled the plug on you guys that day ... Wink

I would say there have been major advances in technology at the festival since its inception in 2001!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 11:18 am    

Dave Zirbel wrote:

That was funny. They didn't even tell us, we lost power in the middle of a song. I guess Dave Alvin was a bigger draw than the Lucky Dawgs! LOL! Very Happy

Big draw or not, if nobody had the decency to wait 2 minutes until the end of a song and TELL the band what was happening, it was a no-class move by the event administration. I don't care if it was the Rolling Stones without power and Miss Suzie's Beginner's Banjo for Kids about to lose their generator, that's low and inexcusable.