I've never tried one
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Topic:  Polymer tonebars helping with Arthritis, joint pain and RSI
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 6:26 am    

Aimed primarily at Ezzee~slide users (or similar type of tone bar)
Please help me with this research regarding Wrist, elbow, joint and finger pain.
Have any of you users noticed an improvement with prior conditions, because:-
#1. The combined reduced weight and friction is so much less than a steel bar.
#2. For centuries copper has been associated with joint pain relief.
#3. Magnetism from the pickup would be similar to a magnetic bracelet

The copper in an Ezzee~slide Tone Bar is 99.99% pure… with copper in your left hand and your right hand frequently very close to a powerful magnetic source it would appear to be the best of both worlds.
It has helped me significantly reduce the pain after three botched Carpal Tunnel procedures.
How about you my friends ? have you noticed any beneficial, or even detrimental effects ?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 6:29 am    

Basil, better now!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 6:31 pm    

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 6:37 pm    

Quote:
Professor Albert Singer, an expert in gynaecological research at the Whittington Hospital in north London, was so impressed by the ability of a pair of copper shoe insoles to alleviate the pain of his arthritis over the past six years that he set up a study of 230 fellow sufferers to test them further.
Copper Heelers insoles (right)were given to the volunteers and 96 per cent of them reported an improvement in their symptoms.
Professor Singer says: “About 13 per cent of the population is affected by arthritis. If putting copper insoles in shoes could help it would be of great benefit.”
A formal trial is now under way at the Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust. The results are expected later this year. Copper is an essential nutrient for the body and critical for haemoglobin synthesis, connective tissue metabolism, bone development and nerve function. Many older people are deficient in the mineral.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/

AND:-->
Quote:
I am a relatively healthy 72 years old but beginning to feel the oncoming of age in certain departments. I use glucosamine ointment to soothe joint pains in my lower back and in my right knee. My physiotherapist deduced that I was beginning to suffer age-related 'creeping arthritis', requiring regular exercise, massage, ointments and the occasional painkilling tablet, until...wait for it...I discovered the power of magnets!
I read up and bought myself a magnetic wrist bangle, which I now wear 24/7. Result – no more pain or discomfort. I am thrilled with the product and can highly recommend this to other joint pain sufferers. Magnets may not work for everyone but if 20, 30 or even 50 per cent of users benefit, then job well done! 
Henry, North London

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 12:01 am    

I have arthritis starting to take hold in my left hand. It has affected my guitar playing, but so far my steel playing has been largely unaffected. I have used one of Basil's polymer bars for quite a while, and indeed was one of his first customers. I find it easier to manipulate than a conventional stainless bar, especially now with the onset of arthritis.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 4:42 am    

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 5:30 am    

Quote:
Jim Sliff
26 September 2016 · Redondo Beach, CA, United States

This post is for my steel guitar buddies (any anyone else interested in high-end gear for pedal steel, lap steel and square neck resonator guitars

I've used one of Sneaky Pete Kleinow's old bars on pedal and console steel - a HUGE, 3 1/2" x 1 1/4"->1 1/8" (tapered), one-pound bar made in the late 50's or early 60's from aerospace material. he had two, I ended up with one, and it's now...as of a few days ago..semi-retired! It'll be used, but only on special occasions.

The reason? I have tried umpty-zillion bars. Typical 5/8" chromed steel bars feel like a piece of uncooked spaghetti; I have a bunch of wonderful synthetic bars made by David Mason, but those are also "special use" bars (all being far lighter than "Sneaky"). I've also tried several high-end bars, none of which really impressed me.

Here's the current situation - I got a custom Ezzee-Slide Basil Henriques made for me - 3 1/2 x 1 3/8 x 1 1/8 (also tapered), only 8.75oz and it blows all but "Sneaky" out of the water. The size is close enough to "Sneaky" that my sight-line is essentially the same, the weight (a little over half of what I've been using) is FAR easier to move around with - but the really stunning things are the tone, sustain, and complete absence of string noise. It sustains as well as the 1# bar (and the size/weight of Pete's were intended to improve sustain on his Fender 400 pedal steel...improved tone was a bonus); the tone has the same clarity with just hair more warmth; and the polymer Baz uses seems to be completely frictionless.

Some players have posted on boards over the years that bar vibrato friction is critical to improving sustain. I've always doubted that, and felt it was the change in harmonics (due to string length) that increased sustain - although if you had a bar as rough as sandpaper it'd activate a string. The Ezzee-Slide absolutely proves the point. It's an absolutely incredible tool I highly endorse for pedal and lap/console steel plus Dobro and National-style instruments (when playing non-bluegrass styles, where a countered bar is necessary). Also, the recessed base FINALLY allows my weirdly-shaped left hand to do backwards-slants correctly.

Even the packaging is stunning - a wooden box with a logo burned into the top, a beautiful knit protective bag, and a spare black velvet bag (for those less adventurous).

Order one, and let Baz know what you need - he custom-makes each one to order and can vary the dimensions AND weight (within reason). Trust me, you won't be sorry (and I am the most anal feel/tone freak you'll even find save Eric Johnson...).

PS - I accidentally dropped it while showing it to a neighbor (I really can't use stairs yet so it dropped 10', bounced and rolled). It *looks* like a plastic of some kind - but there was not a single mark on it. My "Sneaky" bar is the only other one that is so indestructible (I don't *recommend* dropping or throwing it. Unless it's at somebody you REALLY dislike! Winking

This is the kind of tool you won't usually read about in music magazines or their websites, so I wanted to mention it here to widen its exposure - the product is amazing, workmanship unsurpassed and Baz is a wonderfully responsive and helpful guy - not to mention an amazing steel and 6-string player!