The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Truck driving pedal steel players
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2018 7:25 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I've driven bobtail since I was about 18. When the SLV spud harvest starts in a couple weeks, I'll attempt to get a snapshot of me in my turnip truck and post it.

This photo was taken from the cab of the John Deere tractor pulling the Spudnik harvester mere moments before I fell off the turnip truck:

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2018 6:01 pm    

Me too. Started driving bus when I worked for Ernest Tubb in 1980. Went on to driving lease buses for rock bands throgh the early 80s. My truck driving began in the 90s with Reba. I'm currently running OTR with Dynamic Transit out of St Louis.
I'm glad I learned this skill as I've always made a better living driving than playing. My wife, Kayla and my dog, Shobud travel with me. I don't play much anymore. My time has come and gone. Here is my rig, 2018 Peterbilt 389.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 7:13 am    

Old truck drivers never die, they just get a new Peterbilt! Whoa!
Erv

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 5:21 pm    

Pedal steel playing preacher truck driver. How's that for a combo. Bob M

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 8:55 pm     The Old Trucker.

I was working in a studio in the early ‘80’s when a friend offered me a job driving a White Freightliner for double the money the studio paid. I hauled oil all over Texas and Oklahoma for a few months, until one day when the boss said, “I’m shutting this thing down, so you’re going to have to get a new job.” I went back into construction and never looked back. I figured I wouldn’t miss running a oil thief down a tank battery in 20 degree weather, standing on a platform with the wind sweeping down the plain. Steel guitar playing is much more enjoyable, especially now that I’m retired.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 2:44 pm    

Still have my CDL A w/P,S,N,T endorsements. First truck I drove by myself was a "Cracker Box Jimmie" (GMC). It had a 238 Detroit and a ten spd RoadRanger. That was in the early 70s with a 40' grain trailer. Drove the tour buses for those I played for from the mid 70s through the late 80s.

Left the road as a musician in '87. Worked for motor coach carriers and school districts since '87 and will retire from my job as Transportation Director in about 2 months.

I have several offers to drive class A, part-time, short haul or bus after retiring and may do that... as long as it doesn't interfere with my bass-fishing..!!

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 5:27 am    

Has any of you old truckers driven a 1950 WHITE, with a 5 speed, split rear? The shifter came out from behind your right arm, and every shift was a guess what gear you were in. Did that as a youngster, and soon went into construction.

Joshua Tschetter

South Dakota
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2018 7:10 pm    

Wow 😲 Mr. Cox, 2018 389 is what dreams are made of!!! God Bless and and protect all truck drivers, delivering our daily needs. Keep the bugs off your bumper and the bears off your tail! 10-4