The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 3 Neck Custon
Steve Lohse

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 7:17 pm    

I am new to the Forum , not sure if I am even posting correctly. I have recently purchased a Fender 3 neck 8 string Custom console w/ the Z pickups. Any information as to when production started and when it ceased would be very helpful
Thanks
Steve

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 8:41 pm    

Welcome Steve!

I'm not familiar with the term "Z pickups" but I assume you're talking about the Trapezoid pickups that were used on most of the "Custom" designated Fender consoles. '49 - '55 according to Chance Wilson in this thread:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=328216&highlight=fender+custom+console

We love pictures!

Steve Lohse

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2018 6:56 pm    

Bill
Thanks for your reply. The link was also helpful. I'am trying to date the instrument. It has been repainted somewhere along the line and they painted beneath the tuners. Played it at purchase and when I got it home, sounded great all functions working. Should have restrung tomorrow -very much looking forward to it. Thanks again

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 4:18 pm    

I'm curious, what color is it now? I had a friend in the Houston area that had one re-painted in a nice reddish brown.

Thanx,
Jim

Steve Lohse

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2018 7:07 pm    

Jim- Its black. It also has a 7/16 hole drilled into the bottom of the near neck tuner pan by 1 and 2 string.
I am also curious what tunings would have been common for the instrument at that time 1949-55
Any information would be much appreciated
I'll load some pics next post

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 5:15 am    

This should be posted in the “steel without pedals” section. You don’t want to buy anything,right? More people will see your questions. If it was painted under the tuning pans you have no prayer of finding exact date. You can just do a rough estimate. Type of case helps narrow it down to a few years. Pictures really help.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 9:45 am    

Steve, there were numerous 'experiments' done (some laugh- able and some that worked fairly well. You probably had a home made invention attached to pull the B and G# strings to C# and A on a single pedal, thus hole.

The first I saw in mid 50's, used a piano pedal attached to the left rear leg and had a coat hanger (or small rod) to reach through that hole to pull a bar with adjustable hooks down to stretch the B and G# strings to the C# and A . The first time saw such a contraption as this, was at a dance hall in Okla. While the steel man was getting tuned up, he showed me how his 'pedal' worked. He pushed down a couple of times and 'wow' it worked! Then he pumped it down a couple more times, and the entire rig collapsed (pedal came loose from leg, the rod fell off, and one of the pulling hooks broke the string!)

There have many improvements since.

Thanx,
Jim

Steve Lohse

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2018 1:33 pm    

Thanks to all for your comments. Great story about the add on pedal. That may explain this hole[img][/img]

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 2:22 pm    

Earliest Customs (ca. 1950) would probably not have had a pencil date in the first place. Pot codes might help. I had a walnut Custom (S/N T115) that had no decal on the front. A serial number starting with a T (triple-neck) would indicate an early version--1950 or thereabouts; otherwise, #### would indicate later. Curiously, I've seen several Customs with 9### serial numbers which seems to be a series exclusive to that model. The one I had came with a light tweed case, no leather ends and a blue crushed-velvet interior. An original case can also be a dating-range clue.