The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changer speed...Fingertip
Adam Beck

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 6:17 am    

Its been a while since I've been here..events in my life caused me to put the steel down for a bit..But I'm back on it and learning more than ever. One thing I'm working on is dialing in the changers on my Sho Bud Fingertip. My question is this. Will a thicker string tune faster? Im trying to get the strings to reach pitch at the same time when pressing say the A + B pedals or B+C pedals..I ve been experimenting with positions of the pull rods under the chassis and got the B+C on point but the A is a bit behind the B when pressing them together..

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 10:24 am    

Yes, a heavier string will react faster. But in the case of wound strings, keep in mind that it's the diameter of the core that is important. Therefore, an .022 plain will react faster than a .022 wound because the core of the .022 wound is smaller.

As far as timing, just try to get the timing adjusted close, and don' fret too much if you can't get it exact. It's really not as crucial a thing as many make it out to be. Winking

Adam Beck

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 11:35 am    

Cool. Thanks..Foot control seems to be important..im curious what my calfs will look like after a few months. lol