The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reaching A pedal with LKR engaged
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 1:23 pm    

I guess I'm not getting why we would even want to do this. It takes too much mental energy and thought. For what,one part of a phrase ? It seems to me we should spend our time exerting LESS energy while playing.

A very famous pro told me that once, I won't say his name ( Doug Jernigan)

We are supposed to float smoothly, play naturally.

I'm still trying to do that !

Years back another very well known player told me this as I was playing Night Life on the E9th similar to the C6 arrangement. He told me I was spending way too much energy for a song that is best fit on the C6 tuning where it sits right in front of you. This guy plays on a regular TV show from Texas on an old Emmons. I didn't argue, instead I studied the C6 arrangement.

Can we do this awkward stuff ? Sure

Should we ? I'm not.

My take, it's about energy and how much we spend to get the music out of these dang things. Why add misery to what we already have ? Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 8:31 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
I guess I'm not getting why we would even want to do this.
Can we do this awkward stuff ? Sure. Should we ? I'm not.

add9 chord. Pedaling up to that 9th on string 5 is Gold.

We do it because we want the sound, and the instrument provides a way. Mr. Jernigan is correct of course. The goal is to make the required movements seamless, and for the music to have a natural flow. But how did he get to that point? By not doing the things that were difficult at first? I don’t think so.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 2:07 am    

not an argument Fred but I think you answered the question the same way I did ! It's not a bad thing or wrong to use some awkward movements for certain phrases but to my way of thinking, which really only matters to me of course, we should spend our time improving whats comfortable and natural in front of us. Make the things that are supposed to be smooth, SMOOTHER. I believe this is a primary reason so many players modify their setups and move lever pulls and lowers around, they have go to positions which they want to be "natural" .

All that being said, now and then on very slow passages I use the A pedal and the LKR to lower the 3rd string, but the following phrase is easy to grab and doesn't require any energy. Sometimes it's not about the actual awkward phrase but rather what comes next.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 4:28 pm    

Additionally Tony, you just brought up another reason why discussing things like this is sometimes an exercise in futility. Your LKR does something very different from mine, so we are talking about a somewhat awkward move to arrive at a different musical end. We may attach more or less value to the move depending on the actual musical result.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 1:34 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Additionally Tony, you just brought up another reason why discussing things like this is sometimes an exercise in futility. Your LKR does something very different from mine, so we are talking about a somewhat awkward move to arrive at a different musical end. We may attach more or less value to the move depending on the actual musical result.

Exactly Fred ! Very Happy Additionally, each player, regardless of the instrument, may very well approach things differently. I don't lower 5 and 10, yet others do. I use a different path to get to the same or similar result. I have been asked about this by other players, " well how do you do xxx..."..then I show them and the response is, " oh so thats how you do it ". And my response is the same, "I didn't invent that " !

The fact of the matter with our instrument, if we do make a change for a knee lever or ped, it may very well force us to seek a new path for something we did easily before we made the change. Things are not necessarily the same . We may add one thing and lose another.

So when someone says "hey man wanna sit in " ?

we say " Where are your E levers" ?

the rest of the world has no clue what we are talking about ! Laughing

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 7:00 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
That is an unnatural reach, and most of us deal with it by arranging the copedent so that the A/LKR combo is hardly ever used.
If you MUST hit that combo, roll your ankle as far outside as possible, and then lift the ankle.
If the B pedal still interferes, either raise the A pedal or lower the B.

We can debate this all you want, but if you want playing to be enjoyable and easy, set up the guitar (or have someone else do it) so that no pedal/lever combination is awkward. There should be no unnatural moves...especially on a single-neck guitar!!! None, zip, zero, zed. This may require moving levers, or shifting all the floor pedals to the right...but 'ya only gotta do that once!