The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tablature for Venus Moon by Lloyd Green
Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2017 6:51 pm    

Hi,

I am pleased to share my transcription of Lloyd Green's beautiful composition "Venus Moon". The studio version, on which my transcription is based, is available for purchase via iTunes. There are also two live versions available on YouTube.

I would like to thank Lloyd for his approval of my sharing this transcription, and for his performance of this wonderful composition.

Below you find a link to a PDF document with my transcription:

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~janjo/Music/Scores/Venus_Moon.pdf

Best regards,

-- Jan

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 2:08 am    

Thank you so much for sharing this, Jan. Your transcription work is outstanding! Best Regards -jeff

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 4:16 am    

Thanks Jan...

Robert

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2017 11:36 am    

OMG Jan; you are so completely awesome.
Been talking to Lloyd between all these different posts about him...and you should hear the HIGH PRAISE he has for you and your capturing of his very unique playing. He applauds your work bro.
Ricky

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 3:47 am    

Thank you so much for this jan....I posted a thread asking for this very song a few days back....love this song, just beautiful!

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2017 5:54 am    

Thanks Jan...Your an awesome friend. I love your tablature.

Peter Johannisse

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 2:49 pm    

Tack, Jan

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 8:14 am     Venus Moon

Lloyd Green never fails to please with his innovative phrasing and voiceings. He is probably the last of the great innovators of the pedal steel guitar. After purchasing and downloading the tune and printing the tab from that nice man from Sweden, all I have to say is thank you to Lloyd and Jan. The rest of my day will be spent enjoying my attempt to do Venus Moon the justice it deserves.

Bruce W

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 7:31 pm    

Klart impad, Janne! Smile Du gör min själ inga halvmesyrer.

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 3:01 am     Venus Moon

Dear Jan, first let me say I enjoy and appreciate your work on Lloyd Green's compositions a lot. However, your transcription of Venus Moon does raise a question for me. Is it your intention to write out just the notes being played, or also in the actual positions Lloyd plays them? Rob

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 4:12 am    

Rob,

This is a great tab and it exactly as Lloyd plays the song. All of Jan's tabs are like that which makes them so good.

You will definitely discover a new path of playing using Lloyd's grips.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 4:44 am     venus moon tab

Dear Mark, i can agree with the notes, but this tab represents certainly not the way Lloyd plays it. I just recently got hold of the studio recording of the song and was curious when i noticed Jan's tab (from a year ago apparently). But frankly, i think already the very first note is wrong. The 3rd to 4rth bar sounded strange to me too, and didn't check any further. Hence my question to Jan about this.(Unless we are talking about a different recording of course). Rob

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 5:03 am    

Rob,

I have seen and heard Lloyd do several variations on this song. I have even discussed it with Lloyd who told me the story of how the song came to be.

I mentioned to Lloyd that I had Jan's tab for this and he said it is very accurate. Keep in mind that Lloyd's phrasing is what makes him so unique.

BTW the first note is correct. I saw him play in Dallas and that is the way he played it. He may have hit the same note on a different position on the recording..don't know for sure.

I still think that the rendition is very accurate and while it is not that easy, it is a wonderful song.

Here is Bill Sutton doing a rendition of Venus Moon as well. Again some different positions but a fantastic job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5k1wRu2RE

regards,

Mark T

PS. This instrument can drive you crazy sometimes but it worth the ride.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 5:31 am     venus moon tab

Dear Mark, thanks for your responses. But as you already stated in your reply," Lloyd may play the notes in a different position", that's exactly what i am talking about. Jan's written out music seems fairly ok, but his tab(and along with it of course positioning) is not accurate. You simply cannot play the first note 6a, have it sustaining and then play 5a on the same string(check Suttons version, he does that the right way). That is not how you discover Lloyd's grips. Of course i'd understand if his tab is merely the way Jan is hearing it, but i am a bit surprised by all the praise he receives for the effort. It would be nice if Jan could answer me about this. I highly respect Lloyd's voicings and approaches, and when we tab out his work, i really believe we should do it the correct way. Rob

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 5:42 am    

Hi Rob,

Here is a youtube link for Lloyd's studio track of Venus Moon.

It sounds to me that he hits 6a and then hits 5a and and 8.
I know this is really splitting hairs but this could be where Jan got his tab from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLsq80eQsrA

I am all for getting it correct that is for sure. Any help you can provide is of course always appreciated.

regards,

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 6:05 am     venus moon tab

Hi Mark, indeed i am talking about that recording. I can really hear that note ringing out. These links seem to confirm what i hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZdwbj9xq4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU43AnxXzSs

And yes, lets not wast too much time splitting hairs, ha! Would just be nice to hear from Jan that his tab is the way he plays/hears it himself, not necessarily the way Lloyd plays it. For that you better check the videos and figure it out for yourself(and then post it?)! You'll actually learn more from doing just that, i suppose. Kind regards,
Rob

Jan Jonsson

Gothenburg, Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 6:45 am    

Hello,

It seems like a clarification is needed regarding my tabs of Lloyd Green's music.

The tabs are written the way I hear the music and the way I think it is played on Lloyd's E9th setup. Having the tabs 'Approved by Lloyd' then means that he has reviewed my tabs and have deemed them close enough to how it is actually being played.

To publish a verbatim account of how Lloyd played each tune would require a significant amount of interaction between him and me, a path that I have chosen not to pursue. Consequently, there will be sections in each of my tabs that are just an approximation of what was happening in real life when Lloyd played it.

My tabs should therefore be seen only as a road map as to how Lloyd approaches the instrument musically and technically. Hopefully, there are lots to be gained in one's own playing by reviewing these tabs.

Best regards,

-- Jan

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 9:37 am    

Jan, I am NOT a Tab lover, mainly because it usually lacks the expression or timing that hearing the song provides. However, your Tab has all that without hearing it. Thanks for this BEAUTIFUL Tab. It sure looks like you put a LOT of THOUGHT and EFFORT into this. Well Done!!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 10:00 am     venus moon tab

Well Mark, it seems that indeed the tab can be different from the actual playing on the recording, as Jan acknowledges so himself in his kind response. Best regards, Rob

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 11:20 am    

Rob,

No disagreement there after hearing from Jan, but for me in the final analysis it has opened up a world of playing outside the box and trying to capture some of the truly creative playing that Lloyd embodies.

It is a great song to learn to matter how you do it IMHO

All the best.

Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 12:57 pm    

Hi to all my friends. I just want to say that I would have had a hard time learning Lloyd Green's "Venus Moon" had it not been for Jan Jonsson's Tab. Jan's tab is very Accurate to what Lloyd is playing. I used his Tab for all the song...except for a couple of licks that i tried to copy Lloyd by watching this video. "Station Inn Bridge Washed out. With Lloyd Green". Lloyd Play's the song at about 11:50 in the video. Jan's tablature is very close to what Lloyd is playing in this video. And not only Venus Moon...but all the tab that Jan did on Lloyd's music is Extremely close. Jan did a Fantastic job...and he has a great ear to here the notes and know the positions that Lloyd is playing. Thank you Jan Jonsson for some Awesome Tablature.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 3:52 am    

Yes Jan,
You have done the steel world a great favor for all this tablature! Thanks for being a generous man! Your generosity will come back to you!
Larry Toliver