The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel regulation
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 7:38 am    

Has anyone ever considered a regulation manual for pedal steel (aside from Clem Schmidt's paper on push-pull)?
What I have in mind is something similar to the Steinway regulation manual for piano technicians. Regulation is the turning of screws and bending of wires,
a specific order of things front to back, beginning with setting the key dip, then the capstan at the back of each key. and on to the repetition lever... you get the idea.
The order of things keeps the technician from going in circles out of order, never arriving at a good adjustment.

I've consulted with an esteemed member here; his thoughts were that it would take a committee, producing papers and probably a CD.
Now, I'm not the guy to do it (altho I've worked on a half-dozen steels, mostly MSA's) with varied results, learning by trial and error.

There are lots of piano mechanics compared to steel techs, usually several in each big town, unlike PSG, where lots of players are on their own.

Is such a thing possible, given many brands of instruments and varying requirements of many players? PSG is relatively new, compared to pianos,
which benefit from a couple of centuries to standardize the action. Even with various patents granted the order of regulation is a known thing.

Any ideas or feedback?

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 7:50 am    

The Mickey Adams setup DVD.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 8:51 am    

Sounds like he's already done that? Mickey would certainly be the one to do it.

Thanks, Howard.

Anyone else had any thoughts in the matter? I shouldn't be surprised that it's in CD form, the way paper is going out of style.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 8:53 am    

my2cents...

Pianos aren't subject to constant adjusting, changing, tinkering, and (attempted) "improving" like a pedal steel. Piano technicians have no burning desire to "reinvent the wheel" the way pedal steelers do.

There are so many different brands and types of pedal guitars, and so many types of setups and tunings, that it would be very difficult to find someone who can cover all the bases, or for us to have one manual that would be applicable for every guitar.

That said, it's all pretty much basic mechanics, and anyone who has a good understanding of same can do what's necessary. Trouble is, so many players these days don't seem to be very good at basic mechanics. Laughing

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 9:46 am    

Those are very cogent thoughts, Donny, certainly worth more than two cents. Except for the most demanding situations, a piano might not need to be regulated more than once in its lifetime due to the packing of felt, and one piano is basically the same as another in that way.

The reason for such a paper (and being old fashioned I prefer a warmer medium than CD) you covered in your last paragraph ("Trouble is, so many players these days don't seem to be very good at basic mechanics.")

Maybe those two sentences would change over time, but in the meantime, I'm satisfied that there isn't a pressing need. All in all, a good job is best left up to one of several excellent steel experts.
I appreciate it. You make good sense.

(Just one more thing, Donny, that I've wanted to ask: occasionally I run across music made by The Hinsons. Would you--and/or Steve--be part of that family? I'm thinking that Unknown Hinson isn't. Laughing )

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 11:42 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
my2cents...
Trouble is, so many players these days don't seem to be very good at basic mechanics. Laughing

I went to the first several Reso-Summit's in Nashville, and along with dobro courses with the likes of Mike Auldridge, Cindy Cashdollar, Rob Ickes,Jerry Douglas, they had dobro maintenance classes with Paul Beard and Tim Scheerhorn.
Do mechanics/maintenance classes happen at any Pedal Steel conclaves?

And on Charlie's question: How many of you old hippies remember the old spiral-bound "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive: a manual of step-by-step procedures for the complete idiot." That book saved my a$$ when I was a young idiot driving my Dead Mobile around the West.

I'd love something similar for my pedal steel (old idiot driving my steel around greater Lemhi & Custer County).
1972: my 1964 VW Dead Mobile: Garcia Shrine was in the back.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 12:00 pm    

There were a few informal how to on mechanisms at the old ISGC in St Louis. I remember Sierra having some in their room at the ISGC. But I remember Bruce Zumsteg (Zumsteel) talking about some new features one year and he was giving information on it at his booth. Carter had some similar informal semminars on guitar mechanics.

But, that's all I remember from going to the ISGC from 78 to 97 and sporatic after that as I became a "Florida Retiree".

Separate from the ISGC, I bought a new Emmons D10 PP in 1971 and had an initial setup problem and took it to the factory (I was living in Maryland at the time). While I was there and they fixed what they screwed up, I got a "lesson" on how the mechanics worked and how to properly adjust everything. The "lesson" came in handy as 6 month later I wound up in Nashville and working at Little Roy Wiggins' "Music City" music store across the street from Tootsie's and Sho-Bud. Little Roy's store was the official Emmons dealer for Nashville and one of my jobs was the "Emmons tech".

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 2:42 pm    

I remember that book, Brooks. (I also recall your 'G-spot' post about prostate exams. Laughing ) These matters require some sense of humor.
(I recall one class at a Piano Technicians Guild workshop, the guy pulls out his forceps, looks at it and remarks that they seem to be a little singed...."

More to the point, mechanical instruction seminars at would be a good thing. Is there a hangover attitude among steel techs about sharing knowledge?
If so, it'll pass in time. I don't have any information about that, but the Forum certainly isn't that way.

First hand demonstrations trump papers any time, as Jack demonstrates. Not a bad thing, being the Emmons tech.
I'm thinking more along the lines of all-pull. There is bound to be a difference between starting at the bottom (pedals) when possibly the procedure would start at the changer.
I really should look into Mickey's CD.

At any rate, a conversation about the matter should start somewhere. Or I could be wrong; but should I be?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 8:37 pm     Steel Guiatar Regulations

Mickey Adam's CD No.1 is great. He explains a lot about order of tuning multi string pulls or lowers no matter which lever or pedal you are adjusting. He has mentioned he was going make a series of those CD's. on steel guitar timing and adjusting.
I hope he continues the series.
He may be so busy working with the New MSA's to work on that project now.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 12:44 am    

Quote:
How many of you old hippies remember the old spiral-bound "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive: a manual of step-by-step procedures for the complete idiot." That book saved my a$$ when I was a young idiot driving my Dead Mobile around the West.

My sister had a spiral bound book for her 64 convertible beetle. It had some cartoon type drawings all through it that resembled Zap Comics.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 5:04 am    

Bobby Nelson wrote:
Quote:
How many of you old hippies remember the old spiral-bound "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive: a manual of step-by-step procedures for the complete idiot." That book saved my a$$ when I was a young idiot driving my Dead Mobile around the West.

My sister had a spiral bound book for her 64 convertible beetle. It had some cartoon type drawings all through it that resembled Zap Comics.

That's the book. Every step of rebuilding the engine was illustrated.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 5:47 am    

Again, the Mickey Adams dvd. Worth the price.

Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 7:29 am    

As mentioned Mickey Adams has a CD out. That said, there are a lot of things that can be done with a little thought and some horsesense and with help from from members of the forum,but I believe some people should not even own wrenches. If you are likely to do some of your own service on your car and other mechanical devices in your possession you can probably do some of your own work on your steel, otherwise send it to someone before its buggered up worse than it is. My two cents.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 5:40 pm    

Mickey's CD would help - generally.

But there are SO many different mechanism designs, lever functions/positions/naming, varying geometries, parts sizes/design etc that I have a question:

Which specific brands/models would a "regulation" document apply to; which would be exceptions; what happens to the hundreds of modified pedal steels that are personalized?

For that idea to be practical there would have to be "standards". But there aren't. There's not even consistency in the naming of knee levers or a standard position where even ONE of them is mounted.

Because as described, that type of "regulation" manual would not work for (off the top of my head) ZB (and similar), Shobud rack and barrel or cable-pull Fenders. All 3 types are played and are certainly not the only unique examples.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 4:59 am    

Ron Hogan wrote:
Again, the Mickey Adams dvd. Worth the price.

Maybe I'm blind, but6 I don't see a source for this DVD. Can somebody tell me where to get one?

--Al Evans