The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on Peavey 15 Inch Speaker
Robert Herr

Willow Street,Pa
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 4:09 am    

I had a 1983 Peavey Nashville 400. I sold it without the speakers. Getting the old speaker out was a bear I ended up taking the magnet off. When I did I noticed there was what looked liked a foam pice that had disintegrated over the years.Does this need to be replaced and where can you get a replacement?

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 5:54 am    

I had that happen to mine also. The foam crumbs managed to gum up the works and created the symptoms of a blown speaker. After careful removal of the debris, (rubbing alcohol helps)the speaker works fine. I didn't bother to replace the foam. It's main purpose is to keep dust out of the back of the speaker. I think the smartest approach is to get a thin piece of foam like they use to protect the air filter in small engines. Glue it over the outside of the screen at the back of the magnet.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 5:56 am    

I sometimes glue a piece of light fabric over the screen. I'd be afraid another foam plug would just deteriorate same as the first one. You will want to clean up the voice coil gap and the voice coil of all that deteriorated material too.
Here's some info on servicing BW speakers. HTH.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=213959&highlight=speaker+maintainance+maintenance