The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roasted Maple
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 9:10 am    

Have any of you guys heard of Roasted Maple? If so, have any of you used it in your builds? I have a piece of curly maple coming today and the guy I bought it from is sending along a piece of Roasted Maple. From what I have read on the subject I might try a piece of that at a later date.... Here is the info from the seller......

The roasting process pre-stresses the wood, caramelizes the sugars, sealing the pores and rendering them more resistant to moisture and movement.
The caramelizing color pervades throughout the board thus enhancing the tiger figure.

Greg Booth

Anchorage, AK, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 9:27 am    

https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/features/all-about/all-about-torrefaction/

"The buzzwords you’ll doubtless have heard are torrefaction, roasting, tempering, caramelisation and rectification – but they all amount to the same thing. We’re talking about thermally treating tonewood to condense decades of aging into a matter of hours. The rationale is that if you can induce changes at a molecular level that make the physical properties of fresh tonewood more like its decades old equivalent, the tonal qualities will follow suit."

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 10:00 am    

Thanks Greg, that was some good reading.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 3:12 pm    

Sort of like kiln drying.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 3:58 am     Re: Roasted Maple

Bill Groner wrote:
Have any of you guys heard of Roasted Maple? If so, have any of you used it in your builds? I have a piece of curly maple coming today and the guy I bought it from is sending along a piece of Roasted Maple. From what I have read on the subject I might try a piece of that at a later date.... Here is the info from the seller......

The roasting process pre-stresses the wood, caramelizes the sugars, sealing the pores and rendering them more resistant to moisture and movement.
The caramelizing color pervades throughout the board thus enhancing the tiger figure.

I received my maple yesterday. The piece of roasted maple looks very much like walnut.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2018 7:42 am    

I have a few projects I will use torrefied wood for in the next few months. It will be interesting to see if I hear any audible tonal attributes in comparison.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 8:24 am    

I have a toasted maple neck from Warmoth kicking around here. They have a size I love, which is a 24-fret, 24.75" scale length neck that fits on either their proprietary "7/8"-size strat or tele bodies or as a fill in on a "normal" Jaguar or Mustang body. (It's a size left over from when they made the wood for the "Valley Arts" guitars used by a bunch of LA studio guys - poke around, it'll fit a few other places too).

But I only have a couple of bodies it fits, and it's lately been living on my main sorta-frankenstein/madman/innovation guitar. So I haven't A/B'd it fairly, or exactly - it holds the strings! It's straight! Ask again in ten years! I think it's probably more woofty than this week's other great hit salvationater - Gold! Foil! Pickups! - but my other guitars didn't just crawl off and hide when they heard it. Yet?

As far as duplicating the aging on all the great vintage guitars of the big hits rah-rah etc. - try to remember, at the time Clapton w/Cream, Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman/Santana/Hendrix/Walsh etc. recorded all the big hit sounds, they never used a guitar that was older than 15 years or so at the time they recorded them. We can reliably, scientifically conclude from the evidence that old guitars must sound bad, because nobody important ever used them once they wore out. Wall candy.... sssss....