The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with lowering 4th string on Maverick
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 9:20 pm    

Does anyone have a ShoBud Maverick that lowers the 4 and 8 strings E to Eb on the lever? I have to add to one I am working on and have some ideas that would work but I would like to see a photo of the correct way to do it. I plan to spring load the 4th string in a "idle" position or the E note and release the spring to let it lower to Eb. Pictures please?
Jerry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 2:08 am    

Forumite Blake Hawkins had a Maverick that he changed to lower the 4 and 8 instead of 2nd and 8th. Contact him and maybe he can help.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2018 8:11 am    

Jerry, I’m thinking they work just like a Fender student. Yes, spring load the lowers and adjust lower where it touches guitar body which will be the stop for lower, then tune open with nylon tuners and hopefully there will be enough travel to raise 4th to F# with C pedal. I just finished working on one and had a time figuring out too. Finally got it and works good now.

Here’s a pic of the Fender I just finished. Also, the knee has to have a return stop to work which this one didn’t. It kept breaking the changer finger because rod was putting a bind on it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.