The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EPS-15C to replace a 1502 in an older NV400
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 3:14 pm    

George Kimery wrote:
I can shed a !little light on this in a week. I will be taking possession of a silver corner 400 next Saturday. It has an EV SRO 15" bass speaker in it. I have a TT-12 in a cabinet I will be trying next Sunday. I will post my opinion then. If it is too bright and I don't like the SRO, I guess my next move will be a 1502 speaker.

The SRO-15B is my favorite speaker, but it's heavier than anything else out there. Super lows, thick mids, and a well-dampened treble end (zero "ice-pick" highs). Cool

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 4:57 pm     EPS-15C to replace black widow in older Nashville 400.

Donny, I won't know if it's a 15B until I see it. You have helped me to make a decision. I will be going to a gig straight from picking up the amp. I couldn't decide whether to try it or leave it in the van. I am going to try it. I am familiar with EQing Peavey amps, so I have that in my favor, plus I have written down a lot of settings from the forum. It looks like the settings are close to the Session 500. I will have my Stereo Steel close by in case it doesn't work out.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 5:51 pm     EPS-15C to replace black widow in older Nashville 400.

It is a 15B. The weight is 25 LB, only a few more than a 1502. I am encouraged by Donnie's remarks. I was assuming I would have to replace it with a 1502, but maybe not. Because of the weight,I may have to sp!it it into a chassis cabinet and a speaker cabinet if it turns out to be a keeper.

Dave Welch

Latrobe PA USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 5:14 am     SICA speaker

Followed Ken Fox's suggestion and got a 15" 4ohm neo SICA speaker to replace the 1502.

Looking at the images online I noticed the obviously larger (taller) frame on the SICA. I had concerns about it not fitting properly around the transformer on the NV400, but Ken assured me it would.
So I ordered one. I removed the power amp and reverb tank to swap it out, and after reassembly the frame cleared the transformer by 1/4". Perfect. Thanks for your help, Ken.

Lightened up the amp considerably and sounds as good as it did with the original speaker to me. I'm happy Very Happy

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 5:32 pm     Sica speaker....

Did you get the 250 watt or the 300 watt Sica speaker?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 8:13 am    

I replaced my 1502 with a Telonics speaker. I hate it, but it's so much lighter.

Dave Welch

Latrobe PA USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 6:09 am     SICA speaker

Mike, I clicked on the link Ken posted and got that one. 250w 4 ohm aluminum frame. (6.7 lbs)

PL15B25S

David Langdon

West Bridgford, Nottingham Notts, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 7:55 am     Same issue for me

I too have an old silver corner NV 400. I did the LeMay mod years ago with great results. It just got too heavy for me to drag around. I've used other amps, but I've come back to the 400 cause it just sounds so good.
I presume I have the BW 1502 in this, and I'd like to replace it with a NEO type. I'm in the UK and getting a Sica replacement seems difficult to get here.
Are there any other options that I could try? Perhaps Ken Fox has some ideas?
Dave.