The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Strings
Terry Pilant

Waco, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 5:43 am    

George L's and SIT Strings, and Live Strings what do most of you good steel players use, also what gauges do you use too. Please let me know if you would. Thank you very much. Have a BLESSED DAY!!

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 6:55 am     P.S.G strings

i used these

and some times these

i like the SIT best of all

p.w

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 8:09 am    

Terry, I answered your PM this morning.

I stock George L's Stainless Strings in sets and individual, so I can make up sets with most any gauges.

Would be glad to help you.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Gil Gregory

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 9:35 am     Live steel strings

Live STEEL STRINGS.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 12:04 pm    

George L's SS (wound) "Nashville Gauges". I've used them since they first came out (and before as Lawrence strings).

I've tried most all other brands, including the new D'Addario NYXL's but I'm happy with George L's and as long as they are sold, I'll use them. I'm done trying other brands.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 12:20 pm    

Right on Jack.
And probably the best price of them all
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 12:48 pm     Strings

Terry,

You asked about what the good steel players use. I'm probably not considered too good a player, but my strings are pretty good. I use D'Addario and John Pearse strings. They keep their sound and I hardly ever break a string!

Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 1:17 pm    

I agree with Jack also, I bought a dozen sets from L.T. Zinn a couple years ago and they have been great. I can't remember the last time I broke a string, and I have been playing quite a bit of late.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 2:02 pm    

Terry, you could do worse than support this Forum by buying strings off Bob. Check out strings at the top of the page. Bob gives good advice too.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 2:33 pm     Live Steel Strings

Where can these Live Steel Strings be found? I looked on b0bs string site but did not see.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 4:48 pm    

Live Steel, Nickel Wound. Both necks.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 7:27 pm    

Have just finished changing all my guitars over to the D’Addario NYXL sets and couldn’t be happier.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 8:35 pm    

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 1:26 pm    

SIT Nickel
Change them semi regularly.
Change the 3rd string every 4-5 gigs

Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 25 Sep 2018 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 12:15 pm    

I too am looking for something to replace my dwindling stash of JagWire strings. What's the state of the art low breakage pedal steel specific strings that I can put together my own custom gauge non-standard 12 string set?
Ideally I need wound strings with large core/small winding like the Kaman strings Sierra used to sell because of my 25.5" scale Uni (less stretching/shorter raise stroke & less breakage).
What's the latest? What's the greatest?

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 12:25 pm    

Paul Franklin is a big fan of the D’Addario NYXL - I just gave a try in Ricky’s gauges and they sound INCREDIBLE!

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 2:11 pm    

D’Addario NYXL - State of The Art

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 8:24 am     Best I've used is Frenchies Steel Mill Stainless steel

I used them a long time ago and didn't like them. Reece Anderson told me to try them again that they were great. I did. Couldn't believe the difference. I can put them on just before a gig and have very little problem of them going out of tune and sound as good as any string I've ever used. NEVER broke on either. Don't really have to but I change them about once a month. Frenchy is a great guy too!

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 1:15 pm    

Ive been using Curt Mangan Jerry Roller sets that I get from Jerry. They last forever and I virtually never break a string or have to mess with tuning issues.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 2:55 pm    

Because of my slightly non standard E13/B13 12 string universal tuning, if I was to give the D’Addario NYXL strings a shot, I'd have to put my set together from loose singles. Is that possible?

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 3:09 pm    

I was given a set of D’Addario NYXL at the past Dallas show, in fact as the rep had just got setup I stopped and was talking with him. He gave me a cpl of sets and told me if I would come back later on he would have some D’Addario cords made up so I told him I would bring him a cup of coffee back by. I put those D’Addario NYXL strings on a few days later and they sound great they stay in tune for the most part yeah every 3-4 days I might have to tweak the tunning just a tid. They are just now starting to not stay in tune and the 3rd string is loosing it's tone but hey they have been on for 6 months. I have never broken a string in the 6 months I've been using them in fact just sent Bob and order for some more yesterday and got an email today letting me know they have already been sent. I'm just a bedroom player that plays 2-3 hrs every night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Rolling Eyes

Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 3:46 pm    

I used to use George L's stainless. I switched to GHS stainless super steels and they sound great. I recently tried George L's again and went right back to GHS Super Steels.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 5:59 pm    

I got a couple of sets that Tom Spaulding was handing out at the Dallas show this year. Took me a little while to get them on, but once I did, I stocked up and all my guitars have them now. Tom is a great guy and D'Addario is lucky to have him.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2018 7:44 pm    

That's him (Tom) couldn't remember his name and I agree they are lucky to have him as a rep such a nice guy I waas suppose to bring him a cup of coffee back but when I came back he wasn't at his booth and I was leaving due to an emergency that sprang up. I sure like those strings though.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 1:12 am    

Not that I am a good player but I have used the SIT Buddy Emmons series strings for years. I have tried many brands as well. Like some here I picked up a couple packages of the D'Addario at the Dallas Show. The gauges are different and I have not tried them yet but sure want to.