The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacing the jack on a Rickenbacker SW or DW model
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 11:41 am    

Has anyone done this successfully? I have a mid-50's DW8 that I'd like to replace the recessed output jack on but it doesn't look like it was made to be serviced. It looks like they just pressed in a Switchcraft barrel jack, not a threaded barrel jack but more the type that would be the female end of a 1/4" extension cord. There's no access to punch it out from the other side either. I removed the controls, a leg socket and the pickup to be sure. The hole for the wiring is at a right angle to the jack hole so no access for a punch there either. I guess drilling it out and pulling out the pieces is my best option. Maybe I can get it to budge with an "easy-out" tap but if they used glue, the tap would probably break first.

Check out the pictures in the thread I've linked below. This is not my guitar but a similar scenario. It looks like someone tried to drill an access hole from the bottom of that guitar and then gave up and installed a jack on the front of the guitar. Any suggestions for avoiding that on my DW8?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=198063&highlight=rickenbacker+jack

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 12:01 pm    

Here's a picture of my guitar's jack. Later models appear to have the recessed jack mounted at an angle closer to 45 degrees vs this 90 degree angle. Perhaps giving it access from the control cavity.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2018 3:21 pm    

If no other access, I assume it is pressed into the wood. I would try something like a blind hole bearing/bushing puller. After inserting into the hole, the split shaft can be expanded to grip the fixture, and then it can be pulled out.
As for replacement, maybe something like the Tele Electrosocket jack plate.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2018 8:29 am    

From the photos on the link page it looks like this:

Can the top ring be moved counterclock to remove the connector parts?

Guess when they made that guitar they didn't consider the jack would need replacing.

https://www.amazon.com/Switchcraft-128-female-Barrel-4-Inch/dp/B00C5B20BE

Perhaps if you could drill two dimple holes on either side of the ring and then used a needle nose pliers you could unscrew the contacts. Getting the body of the jack is another matter.