The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LR Baggs new Align pedal EQ--would it work for steel?
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 2:54 pm    

Guys, LR Baggs has a new Align EQ pedal. I'm interested if it would work for pedal steel, or if the 6-band EQ range is not suited for steel's range of hz's., but is just for acoustic EQ'ing.

https://www.lrbaggs.com/align-series-equalizer-acoustic-pedal

I like the idea of this on my pedal board, so I can grab another instrument (lap steel), and not have to readjust my amp. Whaddya think?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 4:50 pm    

Brooks, seems like a stretch to me. I've seen the ads in guitar mags for this new set of products from Baggs, but I hadn't gone to the website until your question piqued my interest.

The equalizer pedal reminds me of my older version Fishman acoustic Platinum preamp, but the Baggs unit has dials instead of sliders like the Fishman does. And the Fishman also has an XLR out to act as a direct box, these new Baggs units don't. I checked out the website and they all work in line with each other and there is a separate pedal that works as a DI.

I thought the demo guy's D-18 through the pedal sounded fantastic. But all over the website it's "acoustic" this and "acoustic" that.

Perhaps one of our members can shed some light as far as utilizing the unit for steel, but if that doesn't happen I wouldn't be pulling out the credit card until I can talk to a Baggs rep or some informed person in their customer service dept.

But for acoustic instruments it looks like a great system. There are so many choices these days for all of this stuff - it's mind boggling.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 6:40 pm    

Yep, thanks Mark, I was thinking the same thing: "acoustic". But then again, it's a variety of pickups now for acoustics, many like electric guitar PU's , that are used and need to be EQ'd. I just don't know the EQ lingo nor the technical aspects to know if those hi, mids, and low adjustments on the Baggs are in the range of my electric steels. It would be handy if it works.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 11:55 pm    

How does the EQ pedal know if it's an Acoustic or Electric ? It's frequency. I use the Bags Venue now and then for Steel depending on which amp I use. It works just fine. Actually better than fine . 4 band Para EQ, Input Gain, Output gain, Mid EQ tuning , Tuner, Boost, etc. I have a couple of amps which I like to use that don't have a strong bottom end, the Baggs Venue allows for an incease of the LOW EQ.

The Venue mid range scoop / tuning is very flexible should it be needed.

I suspect this Align EQ pedal for $179 is probably pretty good, Baggs makes some pretty darn good stuff. But I think the Venue for $100 more is way more worth it. I use it for Dobro, Steel ( now and then) and Acoustics. It's pricey but covers a ton of ground.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 7:51 am    

Thanks Tony. I did get a response from LR Baggs on my question that I emailed to them:

"Hey Brooks,
Thanks for emailing.
The Align EQ would be great for all of those applications. The input level and impedance (technical mumbo jumbo) are designed to work well with acoustic guitars as well as other more electric instruments. It should give you a lot more control over your pedal and lap steel tone.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Sincerely,
Caleb Elling
LR Baggs Corporation
805-929-3545 Ext. 121
"

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 8:10 am    

And my next question to any of you that would be so kind:
If I were to use a pedal type EQ in my chain (see below), where would i put it? Here is my current set up (feel free correct anything that you think is out of place):

Guitar>black box>VP>overdrive pedal (usually the Golden Cello)>nuenabar wet reverb>boss digital delay>amp (Toneblock 201)>EPS-15-C speaker.

And you'll notice one the main reasons I'm thinking of plugging in some sort of EQ pedal: The Toneblock 201 amp is supposed to be easy to EQ, but I'm a tech-tard, and I'm confused with the Tri-Q, Voice, and Hi-Cut as the options to adjust the tone. I love the amp, but can't quite figure out the supposedly simple EQ system. When I get it where I want it, I don't want to mess with it.
thanks

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 11:15 pm    

while there are some varied opinions, here is what BOSS says...

Compression > EQ > Drive > Modulation > Time

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website