The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wampler Reflection reverb
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 4:33 am    

anyone try one ? looking for something to pair with my faux analog echo running into reverb-less amp.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 10:39 am     Mxr

Mxr reverb ome word phenomenal

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 1:03 pm    

Having tried and owned countless reverb pedals, I think that there is nothing better, in the $200 range, than the Wet reverb. It really is that good. I like the mono version but if you play through two amps I’d use the stereo pedal.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 4:00 pm    

Another vote for the Wet Reverb. I have several reverb pedals a tube reverb unit and onboard reverbs in amps. The Wet Reverb is the most versatile and beautiful sounding I have ever heard IMHO.

Barry

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 5:16 pm    

Another vote for Wet Reverb, one trick pony that nails it for me.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 8:49 pm    

I wonder if the Neunaber Immerse is as good sounding as the Wet. There seems to be a lot of cool stuff in there (including a "wet" setting).

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 5:53 am    

Kenny Vaughan from Marty Stuart’s band recently said the Seaverb by Andy Green was the best reverb pedal he has ever used. I have one on order-they are handmade and have a 6-8 week delivery time. That said, I truly love my Steel Dream reverb by Sage Benado and will be adding one of his Virgo delay/reverb pedals, too.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 3:42 pm    

Ahh I’m a push over for reverb pedals John 😜
Got a Seaverb being delivered end of this week

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 4:04 pm    

Just got the Wet Reverb last night. It trumps all the verbs in my Lexicon mx200. Very pleased with it. Sounds so good that I'm able to get the sound I want w/o stacking any delay on top of it.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 10:09 am    

i decided on the faux spring by wampler. i like it, its quite different tnan the wet and sounds great in combination with the faux analog echo also by wampler. been super curious about keeley caverns v2 also if anyone's tried that please chime in !

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 5:26 pm    

Karen, I have been using the Wampler Faux-Spring for a long time. At first, I thought it was too much and wanted to have a way lower the level. But, now I'm totally happy with it. It has a really sweet tone.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 7:34 am    

I’ve never owned a strictly reverb pedal, as it seems so unnecessary, with virtually every amp usually used for steel already having a built in spring reverb. Plus some newer amps have digital non spring reverb too. When playing live at stage volume, can you really tell the difference that a good reverb pedal makes?
Or is it just to tweak the sound for recording?
I am quite aware of the variations in delay pedals and do find they make a difference you can actually hear and feel right through the band’s volume, but will a reverb pedal be as noticeable and worthwhile?
Btw I want to be convinced they’re worth it! Can’t have enough toys 😉

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 9:50 am    

Tony Palmer wrote:
I’ve never owned a strictly reverb pedal, as it seems so unnecessary, with virtually every amp usually used for steel already having a built in spring reverb. Plus some newer amps have digital non spring reverb too. When playing live at stage volume, can you really tell the difference that a good reverb pedal makes?
Or is it just to tweak the sound for recording?
I am quite aware of the variations in delay pedals and do find they make a difference you can actually hear and feel right through the band’s volume, but will a reverb pedal be as noticeable and worthwhile?
Btw I want to be convinced they’re worth it! Can’t have enough toys 😉

not sure. i just wanted to try a spring reverb pedal as i recently bought an amp with no reverb. so many choices out there ! i generally like wampler pedals which is why i chose the faux spring. at one time i owned a van amps sole mate. that was a cool reverb with springs in it !

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 6:45 am     Bumping up for MF SDOTD half-price

I just grabbed one (original topic pedal - Wampler Reflection Reverb) from Musicians Friend Stupid Deal for half price ($99.97) (Sat 10/26).

Two modes, Spring and Plate. Most of the video reviews veer to ambient type playing. This one by Mike Hermans (Pop Into the Chemist) seems to at least give a reasonable idea of the range of sounds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEbA8FGo_0s

I doubt I would have gone for this at full price without more to go on. The attraction for me is the potential to use for both pedal steel and surf guitar, I thought there was enough potential in the various video demos to give it a try at that price.

Just an FYI, I'll report back here when I get it. BTW, I have a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb. It's OK, but there are others I prefer for just a pure surf spring reverb, like the Catalinbread Topanga. But we'll see about the Reflection.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 4:37 pm    

I have used many Reverb pedals and they are all good in their own way. I settled on the Catalinbread “Talisman” Reverb pedal that is modeled after the hanging plate reverb rooms used in recording studios before the digital stuff came out. This Reverb is very lush and I often just use this Reverb and not the delay.

Catalinbread also make a “Topanga” Reverb that I use with 6 string guitar. This Reverb is a surf players dream as it has a Spaghetti Western vibe. It’s OK with the steel but the Talisman Reverb is way sweeter.👍

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 11:54 pm     Re: Wampler Reflection reverb

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
anyone try one ? looking for something to pair with my faux analog echo running into reverb-less amp.

The Wampler Reflection is more reverb control. I can see being able to do more with this pedal. The endless reverb tone is there with pre-delay control.

Then there's DIP switches inside to set so that the reverb trails will continue even if you switch the effect off.

As Dave above states, he surfs and steels with this pedal and I tend to agree as the more control one has over reverb units, the better things are not unless you like the minimal hint of verb with few knobs to adjust and don't change settings.

Depends on what you're wanting hear.

Thing about reverb is each venue is different and sometimes a room that soaks up sound needs more reverb power vs a live room. But even for recording, a one-size-fits-all is not the case with delay effects such as reverb.

The Faux pedal is meant to be a spring reverb emulating a tank. Not the case with the Reflection. It's a plate setting emulator like an EMT plate.

Hear Brian Wampler do the honors on his inventions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2Y_TID-uU

DIP switches inside the Wampler Reflection

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 12:50 am    

George Seymour wrote:

Can I come over and try it out some time George?

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 12:03 pm    

Jim Pitman wrote:
George Seymour wrote:

Can I come over and try it out some time George?

Certainly

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 6:18 pm     Re: Wampler Reflection reverb

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Karen Sarkisian wrote:

The Wampler Reflection is more reverb control. I can see being able to do more with this pedal. The endless reverb tone is there with pre-delay control.

Then there's DIP switches inside to set so that the reverb trails will continue even if you switch the effect off.

As Dave above states, he surfs and steels with this pedal and I tend to agree as the more control one has over reverb units, the better things are not unless you like the minimal hint of verb with few knobs to adjust and don't change settings.

Depends on what you're wanting hear.

Thing about reverb is each venue is different and sometimes a room that soaks up sound needs more reverb power vs a live room. But even for recording, a one-size-fits-all is not the case with delay effects such as reverb.

The Faux pedal is meant to be a spring reverb emulating a tank. Not the case with the Reflection. It's a plate setting emulator like an EMT plate.

Hear Brian Wampler do the honors on his inventions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2Y_TID-uU

DIP switches inside the Wampler Reflection

I'm about to build a plate reverb, been sourcing parts. Are you happy with the transducer you have there? No plan to take it on the road, though. I'll stick with my Wampler Faux Spring! It weighs around 200 pounds less than the Plate.

"Madness," my wife says.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 11:31 am    

Karen may i ask for a little advice to, since we're on the subject of reverb pedals, and you've got the pro's here? If not, i apologize and will remove my post.

Gang, i to like Karen, am looking for a reverb pedal. Not that all my amps don't have fantastic reverb circuits, especially my Rivera amps {Paul Rivera can really design a fantastic reverb circuit, mine has a 6 spring tank even}. Trouble is, several of the reverb pedals i've tried, have a sort of "Repeat" thing going on. I also tend to hear it ever so slightly on amps like the Quilter Steelaire i've played through that use a digital reverb. I really notice it on the newer version of the Wet Reverb pedal. Has anyone else experienced this? None of my Lexicon rack units do this. Once in awhile, like Karen, i'll play a jam, or visit a friend and get an amp with no reverb. Much appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thank You Karen for allowing me to ask for help as well.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 8:25 pm    

Hi Karen,

I have not used the Wampler pedal (though I have heard good things about them by regular guitarists). I am really fond of the Lexicon NPX-550 which is light, a shallow rackmount. When I'm flying, I use the the Strymon Big Sky which I also like. For me, the important thing on a reverb is to have an adjustable pre-delay (so that you get the nice reverb sound, but it's not all cave-like mushy), adjustable sustain (I'm usually somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5), and the ability to adjust the tone (to me, too much reble in a reverb sounds unnatural).

I hope this was a little bit helpful; Best of luck with your reverb search (and Happy New Year!)

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 10:56 am    

based on another thread here recently I got a used catalinbread talisman for my sarno-->furlong split rig. luv it luv it luv it. makes a nice change from spring reverb.

happy new year!

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 11:00 am    

this by the way is the most obsessive reverb review I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczmqKUS8NU&t=2s

it's amusing if you like verb and have a spare 20 minutes.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 6:05 am    

A good day to update my comments, since Musicians Friend has them on Stupid Deal again for $99.97.

I decided to keep mine. At that price, I think it's a reasonable reverb for pedal steel. To my tastes, the plate is better than the spring, and my earlier comment that the demos seemed to favor ambient sounds was confirmed when I plugged the pedal in. It can get pretty lush.

But the Reflection would not be my choice for surf guitar. The Catalinbread Topanga sounds much better for surfy sounds, to me. Or the EHX Oceans 11, for that matter.