The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ringing 4th String
Paul Pederson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 5:11 pm    

Jerry,

I've been struggling with this ever since I bought my new Williams in May. Always thought it was my bar technique, until I noticed the problem goes away if I hit my C pedal, which naturally increases the tension on the string.

So it must be a function of geometry and physics, that the combination of 0.014 gauge plain strings at that specific tension and neck scale on many guitars just happens to produce a buttload of overtones resulting in an annoying sitar-like sound.

I'll take your advice and order up some 0.0145 gauge strings to see if that clears things up.
- TC Electronic M350 -

Marius Schei Johansen

Norway
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 2:40 pm    

Do anyone know where I can order 0.0145 strings?

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 1:10 pm    

On the outside chance, there could be something loose causing a sympathy ringing on that frequency with the E on the 4th string.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 1:27 pm    

The 4th string on E9 seems to be especially prone to this problem. I usually just replace the string with a new one if it really bothers me. But the 4th always seems to have a bit more "twang" to it. I suspect it's sympathetic resonance of some kind. Like a lot of anomalies of PSG, I tend to ignore them unless they're really distracting.

Try dampening the other 9 strings, one (or two) at a time, while picking that string and see if it cleans up any of that dissonance. If it does, then that says there's not much you can do about it except what has already been suggested by experienced hands.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2020 11:39 pm     Re-visiting Lee's ancient thread

I know this is an old thread, but there is some good discussion here. We've been around the block with this a few times as well, so I guess once more won't hurt.

Drew makes good points and logical cause in his post above.

I noticed this a few weeks ago when my buds got together to jam a little bit for the first time in months.

The 4th just seemed to overpower the other strings. No buzzing or zinging, just sticking out more.

Yes, next time I see the guitar I'll change the string, probably put on a 15 as that seemed to help somewhat on other guitars.

Electronics wise though, do any of you notice any mitigation of this issue by using the match box type devices such as the Goodrich, Izzy or one or the other of Brad Sarno's gadgets? Would something like the high end Neve preamp devices smooth this out?

Any luck eq-ing it out?

I've got a rack full of quality gear with Mosvalve amp, Boss fx units and dedicated preamps, so I'm fixed for good equipment, but I have noticed this issue before. This is a Carter guitar, but I've had the same issue with other makes as well and 40 yrs. of playing experience.

As Drew states, it seems the 4th string is just prone to do this for some reason.

I can pull string 2 up to E to compare and the issue just does not exist on string 2. Definitely a difference.

So, is it maybe the position of the string in the keyhead that adds to the phenomenon? Does anyone that plays keyless guitars have this issue?

Once experienced, I guess it causes one to notice it more as in now I can't un-hear it. It is not just my imagination though.

Further thoughts?

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 5:42 am    

Over the years, I have seen some 6 string guitar players put some sort of dampener under the strings between the nut and the tuners. A small piece of foam or a small piece of felt. Under the strings between nut and tuner.
Might be worth a shot.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 6:29 am    

I can certainly relate to the problem. A while back I had a terrible time with the plain strings (sort of) double ringing.The plain strings would almost jump out sounding horrible. I eventually found I had an inner ear infection. Vertigo and ear pain sent me to the doctor. Ear problems can play some pretty foul tricks on the sound of the pedal steel.