Author Topic:  David Jackson new style string
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 11:42 am    

Franklin's do not have gauged rollers.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 3:01 pm    

I had acoustic guitar strings with only the core wire over the bridge back in the Nineties, and the wound strings did sound significantly better to me--as Zane says, more "life" in the tone--or as Johnie originally said, "piano"-like. The ones I had were a European make, I don't remember the brand, and I liked them enough that I'd still be using them consistently, but they became unavailable (at least to me) after I'd only had a couple of sets.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2018 5:38 pm    

OK, Johnnie, I will say something good about them! Anyone with a U-12 or D-10 Sho-Bud with the notch for the string ball instead of the pin (about 1975 and later) knows the problems of getting the ball to stay in the notch when stringing them up - the notch was just too small for the strings. This will solve THAT problem!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 6:48 am    

Don thanks you said what I should have started this thread saying. Thanks for the kind comments.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 7:17 am    

Fascinating, I want to try!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 9:37 am    

Interested in the sustain quality for sure. What interests me is the fact I won't have to use a vise grip to squeeze the end enough to be able to install the end into my Super Pro changer. (larger strings on my C6 only).

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 10:22 am    

Though these strings sound like they would be a solution to the problem of the thick strings on a Super Pro, this thread shows a simple method with regular strings that doesn't require a vise grip:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2660974&highlight=ball+end#2660974

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 5:04 pm    

Thanks Brint, Great idea.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 2:03 am    

This would only apply to the bottom 4 wound strings, right!

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 2:23 am    

Brian, just the bottom two on C6, really.

Brint, that fix does work, but I still need to flatten out the string a bit with some pliers, at least on string 10.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 8:57 am    

I don’t have a problem with “no life” or lack of sustain from wound strings. I would be interested in more evenly matched sustain and volume from all 10 (or 12) strings. Maybe that is a function of the pickup as much as string design.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 9:02 am    

Hi Fred I think I achieve that. I have a 12 string pickup and 12 string fretboard on my s10 e9th guitarI find that this gives a much more equitable sound to all strings, especially 1 &2 and 9 & 10. Those strings on the edges of the pickup!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2018 11:39 am    

Brian Henry: interesting solution! I know normal windings on a 12-string p.u. with wire are supposedly darker in tone, higher in impedance, due to the longer core the windings have to surround. Maybe with Alumitones that couldn't be an issue since there is no wire, as I understand it?

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 3:20 pm    

Anyone have an update on these strings? I’m dyin to do some tryin. Seems like a great idea!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 12:15 am    

I certainly appreciate anyone who can add something to the market and I will try a set or two of the strings once they are available.

The premise though is to finally achieve the sound we have been seeking, which may be an incorrect definition. The sound I have been seeking ( others as well) came from old school Instruments which apparently have old school strings ! Very Happy

If longer QUALITY TONE life is the goal then sure, I'll be a candidate for these new strings as that would be for me, the only real advantage. Then of course price will come into play. I change full sets every 3 months or so, I use brand X, very well known and very consistent, plus under $10 for a set. Consistent tone and string life has not been an issue for me. Strings, regardless of brand can turn dead in a short window of time just from our right hand hanging around over the bridge.

Davids idea and concept is excellent , I would like to hear from him as to the overall expected benefits .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2019 7:16 pm    

Bass piano strings are like this. Take a close look at the piano to see how the wound length never contacts either the bridge or the 'nut'.

But to be fair, bass piano strings are hit with hard wool on a stick, and do not have metal round bars rubbing up and down them, plus metal picks constantly picking and scratching the copper windings, which will wear out or 'dirty up' the windings.

The nut may have to be altered somewhat to allow for a zero fret(?) on the pedal steel. The problem I see is where will you pick the string to get best bass sound??

Just something to consider.

Thanx,
Jim
(49th year of doing piano tuning)