The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Frypan Prototype?
Michael Hogan

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 1:54 am    

I would like to know the thoughts of members on the ebay listing of a prototype frypan serial A14 for sale at $29.5K?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-Electro-A22-original-1930s-Aluminum-Electric-Guitar-Rare-prototype/183424110581?hash=item2ab4edcff5:g:fQ0AAOSwIgNXvNBK

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 3:31 am    

It's very early but I doubt it's a prototype. The earliest frypans did not have a Rickenbacher insignia, merely the word "Electro" etched on the headstock. This guitar mostly matches other production Frypans that I have seen including the one I previously owned. Silver Duco finish on sides and back, looks like most of it is still there. There is one oddity, the small holes around the rim of the top and on the headstock. There could have been gems or rhinestones as decoration that were later removed. Anyway, outside of that it looks original and in pretty good shape.

The asking price is absurd. But he has come down, the first time this guitar was listed I think the asking price was $95,000.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 3:34 am    

It's being sold by an estate sale/pawn broker who probably knows squat about steels. I've seen either an identical frying pan or the exact same instrument come up for sale before, and I don't see any reason to think it's a prototype. It's certainly not one of the first frying pans built.

Knock a zero off and you're getting closer to a reasonable price.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 7:16 am    

You see the most ridiculous things on eBay. A nice short scale fry pan is maybe $2,000-$2,500, and someone damaged that one with tiny holes along the length of it and bigger holes all around the top of it. Missing the hard to find original knob too.

I wish people weren't allowed to write anything they want and put stupid prices on things. Why not make it a million dollars?

Kirk Francis

Laupahoehoe
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 9:39 am     frypan prototype?

I saw it somewhere the other day for the bargain price of $8,800, if my aging memory serves.

The line “..homes from Santa Barbara, Beverly Hills, Bell Air [sic], Hollywood Hills, Los Feliz, Malibu, Pasadena, San Marino, Newport Beach, La Jolla…” says it all, really. Through eBay, I contacted the seller and asked about why the price was so high. Her blatantly condescending response reminded me of the kind of things one discovers when one cleans out the chicken coop. Like the rest of this modern world, she seemed far more interested in style than substance—a successful career in real estate sales surely awaits her.

Last edited by Kirk Francis on 13 Sep 2018 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total

Kirk Francis

Laupahoehoe
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 10:04 am     frypan prototype?

I went back and found it:

https://www.chairish.com/product/356057/1930s-original-rickenbacker-electro-guitar

and only $8000--act now!

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 10:15 am    

The same seller had this thing listed on eBay several years ago. "The best regions of the fabulous West Coast" ???
MLA

Charles Stange

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 10:42 am    

I would expect at least a reference or citation from an expert on the "Rare Prototype" designation. Especially for this price. I would also expect to be shown some comps.

Any snobbish reply. for me, would be a deal breaker.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 11:40 am    

Ebay lap steel sellers like that word "rare", even for a Gibson BR-9, which was likely produced in the thousands ! Very Happy

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 12:15 pm    

Bill, Gibson records estimate 13,000+ BR-9 models were produced.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 1:09 pm    

My thought is that if anybody is thinking of spending the $29.5k, I would happily sell you my frying pan in much better shape than this for only half that price. Winking

Bill Creller

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2018 4:36 pm    

A friend has a really old Rick frypan, with the really thick magnets. Kinda needs a refurb, but that may spoil it's value also. Didn't get a chance to play it though..

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 8:39 am    

Bill Creller wrote:
Ebay lap steel sellers like that word "rare", even for a Gibson BR-9, which was likely produced in the thousands ! Very Happy

Or "prototype" to try and explain why there are a bunch of holes drilled in the guitar that don't belong there. Laughing

Bill Creller

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2018 10:23 am    

Many frypans were somewhat butchered over the years, with many holes, the jack & pots moved to a new location etc.
I've done 8 refurbs on them, and some were pretty bad ! A painted one may be covering a multitude of sins !! Very Happy

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 9:24 am     Online bogus bluster

Anyone have a book called the "History of the Richenbacher.." by a Richard ..?.. - his last name escapes my brain cells. As I recall, cause my copy was loaned out to a fellow trader, never got it back..,the actual earliest frypan shapes were made of hardwood, painted a flat black finish. Check and see for us if you have a copy.
I actually held one wood body lollipop-shape frypan in my hands back in mid-1970's. The widow of a steel player who was in the Gene Autry band was liquidating his gear. Unfortunately, that particular one, in its case, was spoken-for (a DP made) and me, at the time was dumb as dirt, poor as a church mouse, I missed out.
So I know a few must exist.. maybe to work out scale dimensions.. eh? Sad

Thank you, Wiki marketplace.. author: Richard Smith, and a wood body is right smack on the cover of his book!
Actual book title: Rickenbaker: The History of the Rikenbaker Guitars

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 11:03 am    

From Richard R. Smith's book - page 10:

"Nolan Beauchamp [George Beauchamp's son] remembers his dad tested the first horseshoe pickup unceremoniously on a 2x4. When it was working correctly, Beauchamp asked former National craftsman Harry Watson to make a proper wooden neck and body for it. . . . In several hours, working with small hand tools, a rasp and a file, Harry had completed the frame. George installed the electronics. It was nicknamed the Frying Pan or Panhandle because that was what it looked like."

That is the only reference to a wood body Frying Pan I have found in the book. The very next section (page 11) states:

"The company called the first guitars 'Electro String Instruments, Manufactured by the Ro-Pat-In Corporation'. There were aluminum body Frying Pan steels and wood body Spanish models."

Jon, is it possible you held the only wood body Frying Pan made?

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 11:42 am    

Hello David. No.. I think even Mr Smith may not know the actual sequence of events.. keep in mind this was pre-war product developments, and placement of components, diff scale lengths, headstock shape/tilt .. all had to be "worked" into a product to fill a growing demand for "oriental music" popularity ( as it was first named). No one knows how many hands of players, and suggestions/alterations came about BEFORE a local foundry was approached to begin "pours" and refinement. Probably the steel guy in Gene's band (more than just one?) offered to buy a wood body early prototype..can't recall if it was a short/long scale I examined. Oh, if I had only found out about the sale earlier. She had a Quad Fender console, a V-front pro Super (but covering in tatters)..couple of moustache-handle Gib amps.. nobody cared for that stuff like they do now. Prices? (1975) between $100-200 (for the quad). The Widow just wanted to replace the choir outfits for her church. All was arrayed in the garage rear of the Rectory. The pastor clueless too.
Oh my, those days are long gone!

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 1:08 pm    

This prototype from 1931 is the only wooden one I know about.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2018 1:57 pm     Yeppers..

Note that slot less 'horse shoe' 🤙