The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacement Speaker for NV112
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 11:34 am    

I wonder if the new TT speaker and the PF-350 might be overkill for a NV112's 80 watt output? These speakers are both 8ohm and rated around 300 watts.

I'm guessing the guys at Peavy knew what they were doing when they chose the Blue Marvel, 4ohm.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 5:12 pm    

Jim, I put a JBL E120 8 ohm speaker and it sounded fantastic, and still as loud as the 4 ohm. Heavier, but worth it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 11:41 pm    

I put an 8 ohm Fender Gold Label Eminence in mine, the excessive mid range is now gone and I too did not experience any loss in volume. I did this for two reasons, the mid range was hard to tame and I also wanted to add an extension speaker but not exceed 4 ohms total. Both missions accomplished.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 2:13 am    

I tried a couple speakers in the NV112 I had including an Eminence EPS-12C and didn't like any of them for steel. If I wanted to play my Telecaster through them it would have been great.

I installed the OPA2134 op amp "mod" and it cleaned it up nicely. For the price of the op amps (about $30 for a kit from Ken Fox) it gets rid of the "honk" and makes a great amp much better. No need to spend $200 for a speaker.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 10:30 am    

I have 2 NV112's. I normally use only one at a gig (unless it is a big outdoors venue) One has a Travis Toy Eminence Neo speaker and 1 has a Telonics Neo speaker. I find that I use the one with the TT Eminence 90% of the time. Even though the sound is very very close. I have tried the Paul Franklin 350 in one of them. Loved the sound, did not like the weight (it is very heavy) Works as advertised by Paul.
You must give any new speaker time to break in. The sound changes and mellows out once that break-in period is over.
Good luck, my 2 cents

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 10:45 am     Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. This is a great venue to share opinions. For now I'm trying the Fox chips as Jack suggested.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 10:45 am     Delete dup

Delete dup.

Last edited by Jim Saunders on 13 Sep 2018 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 10:57 am     Delete dup

Delete dup.

Last edited by Jim Saunders on 13 Sep 2018 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 3:27 am    

I have a nasvhille 112 that I recently bought from another forum member. I put the Fox chips in and the mod reverb pan and it improved the amp. This morning I put an EPS12c in it and I can say that it's a totally different amp. The amp is punchier and has a more high fidelity sound. The honky midrange is gone and the entire sound is sweeter. I have no experience with the Travis Toy Eminence or the Telonics, but it seems like the EPS12c was tailor made for the Nashville 112. Can't wait until it is broken in!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 6:23 am    

I tried an EPS-12C and didn't like it for steel. It sounded like a JBL D-120F that Fender used in amps and it sounded great with my Telecaster.

However, I'm using an EPS-15C and I'm very happy with it.

Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 7:10 am    

I have the upgraded opamps in mine as well as the mod reverb pan. Mine is not quite as warm as a twin with d120f jbls. It’s about half way in between the peavey honk and the jbl smooth warm sound. For me it’s a usable tone.