The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gretsch square neck strings
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 1:48 pm    

I recently bought a new g9230 resonator. It included the Fishman Nashville ceramic piezo pickup installed with a spider cone. I don't know what the factory strings are but am not happy with the unplugged sound. Low volume and muffled, poor sustain. Have not yet tried it with an amp. I have no experience with this type of guitar. need string recommendations for both unplugged and amplified setup.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 6:21 am    

Lots of players, including me, prefer D'Addario EJ42 phosphor bronze acoustic resonator strings. There's also EXP42 coated that some like better. For plugged in sound, D'Addario also has a semi flat sound set EFT13 that will give a little less string noise amplified.

There's Beard 28's, Black Diamonds, lots of choices for bronze or phosphor bronze 80/20 acoustic strings. They all have similar qualities in sound.

Unless they are just really old or played 'til worn out, I don't know how much it'll help, but a new set is certainly worth a try. Good Luck.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 7:36 am    

I am with Jerry here. Try the EJ-42s. I think of them as the Benchmark Squareneck Reso Strings. If they do not suit you, they will probably point you in the right direction to something that does.

I also like the John Pearse Reso Strings. The #3000 and #3100 Sets are basically the same strings in Nickel or Bronze. I like the heavier sixth string they have for Spanish Tuning (DGDGBD) which I favor.

HTH. Good Luck. Cool

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 8:27 am    

Thanks Jerry & Michael. Some add's indicate it may have come with EJ42's. I may change anyway as, unplugged, it seems the bass strings, especially, are totally lifeless. While the strings are off, do you think it worthwhile to remove the cone and check it is properly seated? And can you advise on adjusting the cone loading screw?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2018 8:38 am    

The Gretsch Bobtail squareneck (I relate to the name better, I could never remember the model number) in fact comes equipped with the D'Addario® EJ42 Phosphor Bronze, (.016-.056 Gauges) when new.

So Everett, if you aren't liking the sound, it's not the strings fault since as already mentioned EJ42s have a lot of fans.

The great thing about the Bobtail is that you're getting the Fishman pickup for around $140, because the price new for the all acoustic version (Bobcat) is $360. Were you to buy the pickup on your own as an aftermarket accessory you would be out around $210. And unless you are very comfortable with the work, it's best left to an experienced luthier to do the installation. And ideally one would change out the spider to the Beard adjustable or Schoonover modular. So now we're talking a lot more money.

The not so great thing about the all acoustic version is that at $360, it's an entry level resonator guitar. Though it does come with the pro level D'Addario strings. So it's not the strings that are bumming you out. The biggest improvement you could make would be to switch out the cone to something like a Beard Legend, Scheerhorn, or Quarterman. Now you're out ballpark another $80.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 4:41 am    

I have the same square neck guitar. Really pleased with it. Especially for the money. I often use EJ42s. Seem fine to me.

It sounds like you have a dead set of stings. I wonder if the store you bought it from had your guitar on the floor, and the strings got used.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2018 6:57 am    

I sent a message to your Private Messages feature here on the forum Everett.