The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mick Deacy Free TABLATURE
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 8:29 am    

Reviving this one.
Is there any interest in someone creating a site so all members would be able to access this vast amount of material done by Micky D?

Charles Stsnge says he has most of it and and I just found about 30 tabs on my computer.

I guess an alternative would be to put it in one folder in the TABLATURE section here on The Forum. Steve t

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 9:16 am    

Steve, count me in. Thanks so much.

Charles Stange

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 11:21 am    

I can still help with this, although I don't have all of the tabs & mp3s.

Please be aware; Do try to open any old Dunnfrettin website links as there is a serious virus threat associated with those links. I noticed earlier there is still a link on the British Steelies website and if someone who is a member could please contact them and let them know to remove it, it will surely help some avoid a big computer headaches...Thanks Exclamation

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 9:06 pm    

Hi all. Been awhile..

Wondering if someone could volunteer to forward "SlowBoat to China" from this collection to my email?

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 7:38 am    

Does anyone know where this project is right now? Are there any participating websites?

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 8:47 am    

Every time I see this subject has been added to with another post, I dive in with great hope that someone has cracked 'the code'. Mick's web site is closed.

I have no knowledge of IT, web sites or how one might gain access to Mick or his web site.

But I sure would love to get access to his site - even if it was only for a short time.
Mick's tabs are superb - difficult for a new/intermediate player, but worth all the effort that goes into mastering them.
I don't know if it would work, or if it breached copyright, but if we scanned the tabs we have and could post them here... would it work?
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 3:01 pm    

If anyone cares to send me the tabs I can put them on the beginners Pedal steel site. Let me know if you are interested.

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 3:21 pm    

Not sure about a "Project" but I can still send all or some of these tabs & mp3s to anyone that wants them just send me an email (so I will have your email address) and I'll get them to you asap (literally, you know, it could mean a couple weeks Wink). I have most of them but not all have the accompanying MP3s.

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 9:37 am    

Since some have requested the whole list of songs (which is fine) and I have to send in batches (I haven't figured out how many files I can attach to an email yet, but I will) Please request your 'Most Wanted' list first and I'll send along the balance, like I said, ASAP. Thanks.....

Josephus Vroomans

The Hague, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 9:53 pm    

Thank you Charles for sending me the files. Best regards from Holland!

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 11:57 pm    

Charles, many thanks for the tabs and tracks! Really appreciate your time! Smile

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 6:27 am    

Thanks a lot for the files Charles, I've got my work cut out for me.

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 6:29 am    

to all those that have requested the tabs, we owe a shout out to member Josephus Vroomans, he suggested that I use the "we transfer" file sharing site. I can now send a link to anyone in the world to access and download the files, it only takes a few minutes (and its free!).

I'll be able to catch up with requests now that I know it works. Thank You Jos !

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 11:10 am    

I always sigh when I read all these requests for tab.

If you would only dedicate yourselves to learning how to figure out songs on your own, you wouldn't need tab from others. Some notes about this:

• You never know how accurate someone's tablature is. There are some whose work I would trust, but most tab I've reviewed has minor and even serious errors in it.

• A lot of tab is very incomplete. Without timing notes and lyrics, it's quite hard to know where you are in a song arrangement. A lot of tab I've seen is lacking even chords and measure line!

• If you go to the trouble to figure it out yourself, you'll really remember it far better than when it's handed to you.

Are there reasons to use tab? Yes, and here are mine:

• If an occasional song has intricate parts that might take me forever to sort out, accurate tab can be a big help and timesaver. Most often, I learn of a neck position I hadn't considered that unlocks the whole thing. Again, I must have confidence that the transcriber generally gets it right.

• I'll resort to tab for songs that aren't of particular interest or long-term use to me, but I need for a gig, a student, etc. The song may, in my mind, not be worth the time it would take to work out a certain part. Even in that case, all parts can be recycled and used in other songs I DO like.

The key to transcribing is first getting an accurate chord chart down (I use Nashville numbers or scale degrees for both chords and melody); then working out the single note melody line; then adding harmony to that melody here and there; and finally adding other "sprinkles on top." When you've done all that, you'll truly know the song, understand how the chords work on your steel, and develop better and better ideas for your own fills, developing your own personal playing style in the process.

If you need help with this process, that's a big part of my E9 101 curriculum, contact me for more info. I'm here to help based on 47 years of playing, and 24 years of teaching E9.

All best,
John McClung aka "Professor Twang"
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 4:23 pm    

I can agree with most of what you said, but I don't get is, what makes you think someone isn't dedicated to figuring out tunes by ear or lead sheet, or even piano music because of sharing or requesting tablature? Tabulature is just another form of the written language of music and has been around since the 16th century. It's fun and can be challenging to figure out and corrected if need be. I've been in the music world since around 1963 when I started piano lessons in the 3rd grade. In my musical household, growing up, there was always some form of tabulature around..

Duane Nachbar

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 3:30 pm     File Copy...

Charles, thanks for getting the files downloaded. I really appreciate you making these files available on the download site.
RainSong 6&12 String
Peavey Nashville 112

Ken Page

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2018 7:53 pm     Mick Deacy free Tabs and MP3

To Charles Stange
Charles my name is Ken Page, good to meet you
Can u please tell me how to get to the “we transfer”
Site so that I may download the Tabs and mp3 files
of Mick Deacy ? Thanks

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 6:47 am    

Now that I can upload the files to we transfer, where they will be available for 7 days. I wait until I get a few requests then upload them. Right now I have 2 requests and will be uploading again soon, it only takes a few minutes. After you accept the website TOS you can download the files.

I know, I know,,,, somewhere "Professor Twang" is sighing, but only on this thread, not on any other tab threads......

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 12:06 pm    

I would love to have these. When They're ready let us know.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 3:18 pm    

Best way for now is to send me an email or PM with email address and I'll forward the link when available. Thanks

Charles Stange

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 11:32 am    

Here is the link to download all the Deacy Tabs & MP3s.

https://we.tl/t-fPfWJ3sYu1

The link will only work for the next seven days.

I will be traveling for the next 2 months and will not be able to attend to this during that time. If anyone wants to post these somewhere for access, please, have at it. I'm not sure when I will be able to get to these again.
Thanks,
Skip

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2018 11:54 pm    

Mr. Stange, that's very well done indeed. The link leads you to an embarrassment of riches containing lots of new things to play. I really appreciate you pushing this through and making it widely available. Yes, in a perfect world, none of us would need tab because we'd have studied up on our music theory, would have figured everything out, and memorized it all. But...well. I remember when I graduated college 20 years ago, the President of the University got up and delivered a 25-minute speech perfectly with no false moves, no stumbling pauses, no notes, no teleprompter, no nothing. I recalled the many times i had to speak in front of my classmates over the years, and knew how far i had to go.

Moral of the story: As pedal steel players, we all have our favorite players. we all know where the bar is, and we're trying to get there. (yes, the bar is in our left hand! i'm not talking about THAT bar!) But we don't all have the time and/or talent to take the training wheels off. Doesn't mean we're not working towards that in our own way and at our own speed. I love and appreciate those in this community that make tab available, just because they enjoy doing it.

thanks again Mr. Stange![/i]

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2018 12:39 pm    

Thanks for posting.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2018 12:16 pm    

Disappointed to report that this link doesn't work for me. File invalid is the report I get from Microsoft.
Shame - I love the few E9 tabs of Mick's that I got before his website was closed down.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2018 8:36 am    

Bruce E Bjork from the sunny south coast of Maine has very kindly offered to forward these files to me by email.
A very kind gesture for which I thank him and send Christmas greetings to him and his and to all who make this Forum a wonderful source of information.