The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Rodding Chart from the Sierra Manual
Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2018 10:59 am    

Can anybody corroborate this information. The picture was very small & super hard to read.

I will also do one for the other side of the aisle, too.

This is all the info that was on the rodding information, on page 15 of the Sierra manual.

This is a JPEG of the M/S Word Document I developed. I can easily send it to anyone who wants a copy, then you can modify away...

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 12:52 pm    

Hi Charley,

I'm not sure in you're interested, but I'm in the process of creating an excel program that will generate the optimal rodding configurations for any steel, with any copedent and any string gauge.

If a certain lever travel length is desired, the program can generate the best rod positions to balance all the string changes to start and end at the same time. This isn't hard to figure out for one lever by moving the rods to certain changer/bell crank positions. But things start getting confusing when balancing this among all the levers in a setup. At some point, rods start needing to cross one another and
sacrifices have to be made.

This balancing issue especially comes about when someone needs to change the original rodding configuration due to a change in string gauges, a change in copedent, a desire to shorten or lengthen travel for a certain lever, etc.

I've tested the derived formulas for the program and it seems to work well. Should be finished with it in a few weeks.

Last edited by Dave Stroud on 17 Sep 2018 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2018 1:05 pm     Rodding Chart

Hi Dave & thanks for the offer. I've seen this chart before & without help & a little knowledge, this chart was unreadable (?). So I made a Word document that can be used to record anyone's Copedent & Rodding Chart.

I am going to do another, because my guitar has always been a Jimmy Day Mod-copedent

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 2:21 pm     Hi Dave

Yes Dave, I would be more than happy to see what you have accomplished. My Rodding Chart will just be a copy of something I see, which isn't a benchmark, but may be all I have to go on.

I will be most happy, to assist you in any manner. I'm an Old man now, I'm 81 & counting