The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 2000, year introduced
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2005 10:38 pm    

We all are familiar with the Fender 400 and the 1000 but I don't find much about the 2000 and when it hit the market. The most notable player that used one is Curly Chalker in the 60s. I believe he started using his in about '64 or '65.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 4:35 am    

As I recall, the "official" introduction of the 800 and 2000 was at the N.A.M.M. trade show, in the summer of '64.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 10:03 pm    

Donny, thanks so much for the answer. I thought Chalker started playing one when they first came out. I had heard a live recording made in '64 and he was playing a D-10. That's about when he switched from the D-8 to D-10, or from the 1000 to the 2000. You have tied up some loose ends in my mind.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 3:45 am    

Once again Donny hits the nail. Yes they were introduced in 64 at the Namm Show in Chicago and that coming January of 65 Fender was sold
and as fast as they could, CBS started to try to phase out the pedal steel guitar production but it lasted a while. Thanks for your help Donny.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 8:51 am    

Going back through my Fender literature, I found the first reference to the 10-string Fender steels. It was in "Fender Facts" #7, published in April of '64. That's the same issue they announced their new "Mustang" guitar. (Hmmm...wonder where they got that name? )

The "Fender Facts" brochures were mailed to dealers and regular customers to let them know about new product releases and other goings-on at the Fender company. Being a first-order "pack rat", I kept all of these, in addition to the regular catalogs from Fender, Emmons, Sho-Bud, Kline, ZB, Sierra, Carvin, etc.. That old stuff has come in handy more than once!