The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Multi-contact Jacks
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 3:30 pm    

Use De-Oxit and Pro-Gold, not alcohol...big difference. If you do this you probably won’t notice a difference with the new jacks.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 6:10 pm    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
....G&H plugs are well made but feature a copper center on the tip for conductivity purposes.

Just exactly WHERE does that "copper center" contact the jack? Doesn't look to me like it contacts ANYWHERE and thus cannot make any difference!

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 9:36 am    

A design like this looks mechanically sturdier than most…

… but at electron-level the improvement in surface contact may be minimal to non-existent. At this level it is more about surface material and contact pressure at small areas, than about number of contact lips.

Basically:
- Hard surface against hard surface most often result in minimal contact.
- Soft surface against soft surface result in improved contact at electron-level.
- Hard surface against soft surface will most often result in the best contact at electron-level.

So, without knowing the surface material(s), and how surface pollution and plug-in/plug-out wear get handled, there's no way to know if this design is any better than others – especially over time.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2018 11:42 am    

Steven Paris wrote:
Godfrey Arthur wrote:
....G&H plugs are well made but feature a copper center on the tip for conductivity purposes.

Just exactly WHERE does that "copper center" contact the jack? Doesn't look to me like it contacts ANYWHERE and thus cannot make any difference!

Good question. Thought the same myself. But the copper center carries the signal through the plug tip even if the copper does not touch the jack, it still carries the signal through the plug rather than leaving it to the steel part of the plug alone. It's current reinforcement. The copper "electrode" is fed from the nickle edge of the tip and feeds the positive wire. My guess is it's like using a quad cable of four wires with two each twisted together as pairs for positive and neutral in addition to the ground braid. Using quad cable like Canare wire and using the 4 conductors this way is supposed to increase the sound stage by being more than one carrier of the signal. There is a whole school of thought that certain frequencies travel along a wire's edge and not just through the wire.

When we have science discovering (admitting) things like the sun is not a burning ball of fire but electrical in nature, it sure changes one's ideas of the universe we live in.

All this said, any plug will sound different, brass ones vs nickle, etc., brands. So looking at different cables/plugs is like looking at picks. They all make different tones. Just think how the hits we liked listening to were serendipitous combinations of this cable and that plug chained together. Some pre thought, some happenstance. Hence having more than one brand/type cable/plug/jack is like colors on a palette. Not always a bad thing.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 15 Nov 2019 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2018 3:01 pm    

OK, I received the multi-contact jacks and put one in my TELE as that was handy. There is a positive “click”when you plug a cable in. Sound difference? Not anything noticeable to my ears. I’ll install one in my Williams later in the week.