The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  the Meissner horseshoe pickups
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:29 am    

These came with some vintage pre-war Epiphone lap steels then discontinued due to Rickenbacher lawsuit. Anyone familiar with the sound of these? They were made with stronger magnets and had higher output from what I've read.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:40 am    

Epiphone actually made at least two different horseshoe pickups; the ones I've seen in their first (Electrophone) model were different from the ones I've seen in Model Ms. The output was a little below Rickenbacker, but still quite strong for the 1930s. The earlier pickups had a clearer, sharper tone, whereas the later ones were warmer and more rounded. There's not a big difference between them, or between them and a Rickenbacker horseshoe, though. Given how those magnets age, there's a fair amount of variability just due to the ravages of time.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 1:35 pm    

Just acquired this '36 Electar. Price seemed right considering the horseshoe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192635555151

Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 1:43 pm    

I have a 1930s Kay Hawaiian Deluxe with Meissner pickups. Fantastic guitar, love the pickups.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 4:03 pm    

I had my eye on those prewar Kays too. Another cool looking lap with a horseshoe.

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 11:37 pm    

I currently have a 1937 Spanish neck Electar,

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=323354&highlight=epiphone+electar

which aside from shrinking binding is in lovely condition, I did a head to head with a 40,s B6 I had earlier this year and there was little in it, the Rickenbacker had more treble.
The interesting twist with the electar is the two tone controls that gives the pickup all sorts of options.

Lee

Peter Garellick

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 12:51 pm    

The headstock of my guitar has the Kay name. I think there is a small plate or sticker on the back of the headstock that had the Meissner name on it. I don't have the guitar in front of me, I would have to look at it again.

Kay's are a little inconsistent. I have never seen another Kay like the one I have...it has the stairstep design, all heavy mahogany, very cool Art Deco look. There are some early Oahu's out there that are similar but not quite as fancy.