The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin with Dire Straits
Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 6:16 pm    

Nice rendition of a Dire Straits song with Paul Franklin on YouTube. Very nice pedal steel solo at 5:20:

https://youtu.be/JZ8gO1aZeP4

Frank Agliata

Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 7:14 pm    

That was brilliant, classic Paul Franklin, good find Smile

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 8:06 am    

That entire live album "On the Night" by Dire Straits is mandatory listening! Paul Franklin's pedal steel work is just mind blowing! I didn't watch the YouTube video posted (at work) but "Calling Elvis" will melt your face!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 11:40 am    

In the video, Mark Knopfler describes Paul as the finest pedal steel player. Paul Franklin is an awesome player!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 12:30 pm    

That particular clip is from the "A Night In London" concert video. Was done shortly after release of Knopfler's first solo album, "Golden Heart".

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 1:35 pm     Paul Franklin effects

Hi guys, I'm doing a research on what effect Franklin used in the tour Dire Strait 90, has a very special sound that only those years there, never again I heard that sound to Paul, sometimes I wonder if it is the steel that used at the time, the red and yellow one that has the double pick up, I wonder if he gets that sound thanks to the double pick up and what effects he used as reverb, has a very special sound that I never heard again, have you ever asked Paul this ? I read the various posts but I can not find anything about it, thanks in advance Francesco Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 2:03 pm    

Be patient. Paul is a forum member who checks in frequently and may answer you himself when he has a spare minute.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 2:43 pm    

Thank you so much Fred, it would be an honor for me to receive a message directly from Paul as I am a great estimator since the 90s, I play Pedal in a tribute band Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, and I'm trying to have a sound like that had in the Tour Dire Straits 90 years, I have always wondered beyond his skill as steelere if that sound came from the 2 pick ups used together in coincidence of particular reverbs, would be a great help for me if he answered in person, I would be grateful to life. Francesco
ps: my Steel custom model... Smile

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 3:03 pm    

It's too bad the management group took down that video. It is really good.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 4:51 pm    

Yeah - I see they took it down

Well at least I got to watch it about a dozen times over the years it was on YouTube. I'm one of the biggest Knopfler fans on the planet, have seen MK live with Straits as well as his own Knopfler Band a bunch of times. And of course I'm a huge fan of Paul as well.

But wait - these things tend to turn up again almost magically in a different link after "the authorities" take them down. See if this one works for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeNUq-rf2fw

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 5:17 pm    

My favorite version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p30NV97_MFQ

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 12:04 pm    

Really great! Thanks for finding revival videos of this song performance. Paul’s solo is probably a cakewalk for him but is one of my favorites PSG solos. It just fits that song so well. Right now it is beyond my capabilities. Now to go see if I can find and buy one of these Dire Strait concert videos.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 10:31 am    

Both versions are swell. Like all band performances, there are just those magic moments. Thank technology for recordings.

These are the best of times!

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 7:10 pm    

According to a PV Monitor magazine interview with Paul during the tour he was only using delay and a Nashville 400 into another power amp into a PV 212 cabinet. Sounds awesome to me.

Tony

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 7:18 pm    

Tony

Franklin

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 8:01 am    

Those are some great memories!

The Notting Hillbillies was my metal front guitar and a PCM 41 delay through a Fender Deluxe....I used my double pickup guitar for the DS tour and the same delay through a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and 2 Peavey dual 12" speaker cabs for the tour and recordings...
Those Peavey cabs were designed for guitarists wanting a Marshall option. Hollis was only quoting what he knew I owned, which is what many interviewers will do when they know an artists gear...and since Peavey was not aware that I was using a different amp head for the DS tour the article was inaccurate towards gear used.

Paul

Tony Dingus

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 8:58 am    

Thanks for that information Paul. It sounds great. I need to fire up my Boogie Pre. Love you online instruction too.

Tony

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 12:13 pm     Paul Franklin effects

Thank you very much Paul for your answer, an honor for me to see that you have answered in place about my dommanda that I posted, you have always been my point of reference, I have heard your masterpieces since the 90s with the Notthing hill billies that with the Dire Straits, this led me to want to learn to play the pedal steel guitar thanks to you, and I am grateful to you forever, your suggestions are precious to me, I thank you again and I send you a big hello 'Italy. With great esteem Francesco Smile