The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper with Michael Britt profiles
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2015 7:53 pm    

I played a show this weekend using my Kemper Profiler using Michael Britt's Session 400 profile. It sounded great! I used two small powered floor monitors, one to each side for monitoring stereo and sent a stereo pair to the house.. I built a U bracket mount for the Kemper that attaches to a mic stand.. This to me is the ultimate rig. If you haven't check out the Kemper Profiler, I recommend you do.. http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/199/do/The_Kemper_Profiler.html

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2015 6:51 am    

Not trying to start anything, but I recalled you felt similar about the LW setup? I thought it would be an interesting topic because I've recently heard the amp modeling with our lead players acquisition of a Fender Mustang 3, just doesn't seem right , he is a very accomplished lead player(which is part of it ) but the tone he gets out of this amp is pretty amazing. I have a lot of high end tube stuff that I'm extremely satisfied with. But.. The lure of a light stage set up is still appealing to me if the tone is there. I believe that this modeling technology is getting better and better. I am using equipment and two bolt ons that I can be buried with, but this modeling technology I think could become a player as I've experienced the result

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2015 7:25 am    

George,

Your right, and I do still love the LW80… The Kemper is a whole different thing… The appeal for me is the flexibility of the Kemper with its ability to profile an endless number of amps. Its totally different than most modeling amps.. It also has tons of great effects and a great delay/reverb section. I'v had the Kemper in my studio for over a year and never really considered using it out live until recently. I also play guitar and lap steel so having many different amps at my disposal is a huge benefit…In addition to the LW 80 I also own two Nashville 112s a Fender Deluxe and a Vox AC30 all great amps for their intended use but the Kemper is all of that and much more.. At my age its nice to carry a small light weight head and a couple small powered monitors than to carry two or three amps plus a bunch of pedals… For a straight steel gig I would just grab the LW a couple of pedals and go with it.. Jeff at Show Pro is building me and my son Jeremy a Russ Pahl guitar with all the extra electronics. I started down this trail thinking I would use the Kemper instead of a bunch of pedals. I think it will work great.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdtvenGLWHw Its an exciting time in the audio and musical instrument business, lots of cool stuff out there… Just don't want to be left behind..

Wally

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2015 7:55 am    

Hello Wally
I just looked at your link to the electronic steel. Woah! But the music world I'm playing in I have close to zero interest in that direction. I know technology is never standing still and to a certain degree you migh have to keep up. I'll think I'll pass, really Smile I have one more week of the stage show "Love Always, Patsy Cline" the tone I get out of my old Emmons is as good as I'll ever need, to me. I think the modeling stuff will make more advances as time goes and may eventually have the ability to replace the heavier tube stuff and superb boutique pedals and processors. Anyways thanks for the reply Wally !

John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2015 7:32 pm    

The Kemper is incredible! It is a profiler not a modeling amp like a Line 6.
Its easy to use and does have it down as far as any amp sound you could ever want. Next on my list!!!

http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/199/do/The_Kemper_Profiler.html

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2015 10:54 am     Kemper PROFILER

The Kemper is not for the "faint of tech" person in that there is so much deep programming it may leave some scratching their heads. The sound is fantastic
as they say any amp you can name .. it can re create .. i have the rack model with the built in amp .. its my main amp now for steel .. I've written my own hybrid amp program i use for clean .. the blackface and marshall tones are great for rock and distorted sounds .. Kemper .. works for me

Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 2:43 pm    

Wally, I've only had my Kemper for a couple weeks now and still learning its secretes! It has certainly lived up to the hype. I have a couple questions and perhaps you could help me...
Where did you get the Britt profiles, I'd like to try them...
How does the Kemper react to lower line voltages and heat (like you might find in outdoor gigs)?
When you turn off the cab sim for the speaker out from the 600 watt amp, does that turn off the cab sim from the stereo lines out as well?
I have the rack version w/ amp but have only used it on one quiet, indoor gig so far and found I like the tones thru a single 12 speaker in an open back better than thru my 15 and closed back that I use when playing with my Dr. Z amp...... Thanks, Gerry

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2016 9:40 am    

Hey Wally .im wondering if you considered profiling the LW? Also wondering if anyone has profiled other steel amps...ie: Evans FET-500, Nashville 400, et al? Imassuming if a Twin was profiled you could add a 15" speaker cab to the profile as well as "modify the slope resister" to cut 500k

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 10:52 am    

I use the Kemper out with Easton Corbin on the Carrie Underwood tour as we not allowed not amps or cabs on stage. I profiled my LW 89 and it sounds virtually identical....

www.georgettejones.net

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 11:09 am    

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear Jamie. I'm kicking around getting the rack with 600w. I's like to know if anyone has profiled some other amps for steel...ie: Nashville 400, Session, Evans, etc. Seems like one could have the whole arsenal Smile I know I'd love to have my old Evans back, but a profiled version would be better....ditto the Profile you created.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 3:18 pm    

Wally had his Kemper in Dallas and it is really impressive. Initially intimidating, but actually pretty intuitive to operate if you go step by step. It may be more than some of us need, but with all the amp, cabinet and effect profiles it has instantly available, for a pro working in a variety of situations in studios and live it's priced reasonably and can replace a lot of gear.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 6:52 am    

What Peter said...
Probably the coolest thing I saw in Dallas.

Sean Spearman

Detroit,Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 7:00 pm     Kemper

I think the Kemper Profiler is the next level of excellence for the Pedal guitar industry. Can't wait to get mine. What is the best amp cabinet match for the 600 watts?

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 7:44 pm    

This looks awesome, hope to hear one sometime.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 4:12 pm    

How does the KPA work with a Reso? I have the Fishman JD rig and it would be great if I could run that signal through the KPA for live set ups when I am also playing steel and guitar. Just less to haul around

Thoughts?

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 8:23 am    

Tim Harr wrote:
How does the KPA work with a Reso? I have the Fishman JD rig and it would be great if I could run that signal through the KPA for live set ups when I am also playing steel and guitar. Just less to haul around

Thoughts?

Works great. I don't have the Fishman JD, but I do have the Fishman Aura that I use for dobro and fiddle. I profiled that and now run my fiddle through the profile live. I use a Radial JX-42 to swap between steel, guitar and fiddle fwiw. You could always run into the JD and then into the Kemper as well (if you didn't want to profile it).

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 6:59 pm    

Hey Wally, what powered monitors are you using?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 4:43 am    

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Kemper for a while now, for several intended purposes. One being to profile some of my dinosaur amps before they bite the dust 😳.

Wally, maybe the next time I’m in your area we could arrange a visit? I’m a big fan of yours and would like to shake your paw anyhoo....

Jamie, do you find the profiling process to be pretty straightforward?

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Rick Kreuziger

Merrillan, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 3:41 pm    

I picked a Profiler up a couple months ago. I've spent considerable time trying to get an acceptable tone for live use. (I used a XiTone Michael Britt powered FRFR cabinet.)
After a couple less than impressive live attempts I've been using it for recording other instruments, which I've been happy with.
I'm sure it's a different animal with in-ears.

Any suggestions and/or profiles would be awesome. Smile

Josh Braun

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 11:43 am    

Rick Kreuziger wrote:
I picked a Profiler up a couple months ago. I've spent considerable time trying to get an acceptable tone for live use. (I used a XiTone Michael Britt powered FRFR cabinet.)
After a couple less than impressive live attempts I've been using it for recording other instruments, which I've been happy with.
I'm sure it's a different animal with in-ears.

Any suggestions and/or profiles would be awesome. Smile

Hi Rick.

Lots of folks really like the Little Walter profile mbritt put together. However, as it turns out, that profile really didn't do it for me.

What is working stupendously great is the commercial Surgical Steel profile from Dr. Z amps. That one is the one I use, and I highly recommend it.

Two notes on that one though:

1) roll back the gain on the profile to get the pure cleans.
2) Try swapping the cab. I use the cab from Bert Meulendijk's Dual Showman profile (the clean version is free on the rig exchange, though if you buy his pack I think there are a few different Showman profiles)

If there's one big "gotcha" i've realized with the Kemper stuff, it's that a lot of profiles are done by guitarists who like cabs/speakers that aren't suitable for steel. Even the Surgical Steel profile - AFAIK - was done into a cab with Celestions

Btw, thought I'd mention: I go all in-ears, no stage monitor or FRFR. That may or may not be relevant to your use case.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 4:17 pm    

I have been using it for about 4 months now. It's awesome.

I have a "rig" for in-ears, and another for running it to a speaker cabinet (I have the 600 watt Kemper Power Rack).

I figured out how to get a feed from the monitor console, for my in-ears, BUT, I have my "rig" added, much like a "More Me" box. IT works great. No DI's, no Wireless receivers, etc. I can send a custom steel mix, totally different than what's in my ears, to FOH. The setup at a gig is simple... XLR from the board, XLR to the board.. MY ears plug into the unit.

I mainly use a modified Nashville profile (Britt) with a Fender Vibrosonic cabinet. Add in the built in effects: studio eq, Delay, Reverb, etc.. I also stacked some octaves like a EH Pog, added in Leslie, which make a decent sounding B3, at the push of a button, spinning up & down.

I haven't begun to learn the potential of this unit, but what I've learned so far, as well as the great information from Wally, it's a great tool... Wally has a ton of knowledge on this thing. I love it

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2018 5:28 pm    

So Danny are you saying you bring the monitor Aux from the console into an input on the Kemper? Is there a separate input level on the Kemper for that? Sounds cool...

Josh Braun

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 2:34 pm    

Dyke Corson wrote:
So Danny are you saying you bring the monitor Aux from the console into an input on the Kemper? Is there a separate input level on the Kemper for that? Sounds cool...

I'm not Danny, but I imagine he does it the same way I do it: get a monitor feed from FOH and throw that into the auxiliary input (just as you suspected). The Kemper has a control for adjusting the aux input's level you can you to balance it out.

I run the monitor signal into a compressor/limiter before it hits my Kemper, which has the added benefit of giving me a volume control for it right on my rack.

One nice thing about this setup is that you can get FOH to _not_ send you your own signal, and then get a stereo mix from the kemper headphones out that include the rest of the band (mind you, the stereo mix is just your instruments through the kemper - the monitor mix will be mono).

Works really well imho.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 11:21 am    

Thanks Josh. Controlling the monitor mix in is no problem since we are using a Yamaha app on my iPad. Josh are you (or anyone else) using multiple instruments through the Kemper? I would need to run a strat and maybe an acoustic - or I could just use different processors for these and bring them in the IEMs through the Yamaha app mixer? I'm only seeing one instrument input so I'm guessing it would require an a/b of some sort?

Josh Braun

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 3:31 pm    

Yeah, you'll need some kind of switcher. I run my steel (main instrument), electric guitar and fiddle through a Radial JX-42, and then from there into the Kemper.