The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stewart MacDonald stringed instrument kits
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 9:05 am    

Has anyone built one of the StewMac ukulele or guitar kits? I'm wondering what your impressions might be as to the quality of the materials, the instructions, and to the overall quality and sound of the finished instrument.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 11:03 am    

Jack, as a somewone who learnt to build guitars in Phoenix in the early eighies, I've built about eight acoustics, the last one sounded best, btw. I have to say those guitar kits seem to be quite expensive.
From my experience a mold is also required for gluing the body's sides to the top and the back. On the other hand it should be a good starting point to know how to build an instrument. Get a bandsaw and a bending iron an you're on your way to build your totally own.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 3:27 pm    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Jack, as a somewone who learnt to build guitars in Phoenix in the early eighies, I've built about eight acoustics, the last one sounded best, btw. I have to say those guitar kits seem to be quite expensive.
From my experience a mold is also required for gluing the body's sides to the top and the back. On the other hand it should be a good starting point to know how to build an instrument. Get a bandsaw and a bending iron an you're on your way to build your totally own.

That's interesting, Joachim, and thanks for your response. I also learned to build guitars in the eighties -- not in Phoenix but rather in Red Wing, which is notably smaller and much cooler than Phoenix.

I agree that the StewMac kits do seem rather expensive, but the prices of tonewood have definitely skyrocketed in the last thirty-some years.

I also agree that using a mold is preferable to the die-cut corrugated cardboard inserts provided in the guitar kits. Fortunately, I still have all my jigs, which include four or five different body molds.

I have invested in some inexpensive imported power tools in the last year or so, and I already have a bending iron, etc. I don't have access to a thickness sander, and I sold my jointer plane, so the kit has some appeal with it's pre-joined and thicknessed soundboard and back plate.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2018 6:56 pm    

Jack, a few observations to add to what you and Joachim have already said. About four years back my girlfriend and I built a couple of Dulcimers from the StewMac kits. At the time, that seemed to be the cheapest way to get the bulk of the parts. Tops in those kits are Walnut and I wanted Spruce, so that was an additional expense. Also there was no Lining or Position Marker Dots included, so I had to get those as well. I did have some Dots on hand, but not enough. I also made a couple of assembly jigs because I thought that their suggested methods were not very professional. I found the instructions overall not very good, but a moot point as I am experienced fixing Stringed Instruments and built a couple of Dulcimers from scratch in my youth.

As you say, good wood is expensive these days, so if you have tools, forms and experience already, the kit might be a good way to get started on an Instrument. There will probably be some more expenses on the way. IIRC, in no case are finishing materials included either.

HTH. Good Luck however you go. Cool

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 7:39 am    

Very interesting Jack and five molds that's a lot! I only have two. Because of my bandsaw isn't very strong I had to make layers and glue them together for the right height, it's boring work. Never had a thickness sander and it's so nice. Was yours expensive an why did you sell it? Well with the right tools I would do it again...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 6:01 am    

Joachim,

I made molds for 14-fret O and OM guitars, 12-fret OMI Dobro, plus Kamaka tenor and a generic soprano ukulele while attending Red Wing in the mid-eighties. I also inherited a dreadnaught mold from a fellow student who had no desire of keeping it. The school's bandsaw was a huge industrial unit and I took full advantage of it when I was there. The little $128.85 WEN 9" bandsaw I have now barely will cut 3/4" plywood. It would never cut enough sandwiched layers to make a guitar mold.

I should have been more clear in my original post; I've never had a thickness sander. It's possible there is not one within the entire San Luis Valley; I've been inquiring around since I moved here 2-1/2 years ago, and have yet to find anyone who owns one. What I sold a few years ago was my beautiful 24" Primus jointer plane, which I used to true up the edges of the soundboard and backplate before gluing.

Michael,

I share your sentiments on a couple of things. The instructions from StewMac are generally pretty good, but are lacking in other respects and have numerous errors that may be problematic for the novice builder. Since I've built a few guitars and ukes from scratch in the past, it has not been a huge issue for me. I also agree that the kits are a good way to acquire the necessary parts, and are far less costly than purchasing them separately.

This past summer I purchased and built StewMac soprano and concert uke kits, and built them in lockstep to their instruction book. They turned out looking pretty nice, but, in comparison to my Kamakas, they sound like crap. I guess that's to be expected for $80.00 - $90.00 kits.

I also have purchased and am presently building their recently introduced OM kit, as they had 'em on sale for $100.00 off. It was still rather spendy, and the wood seems okay, but definitely not exceptional. The nicely produced booklet also has errors that I would not have expected. I have been progressing rather nicely on the OM, but the project has ground to a temporary halt now that my seasonal job hauling potatoes is underway.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 7:27 am    

No Jack, you expressed correctly as you said I had no access. The cheapest thickness sanders with at least 40 centimeters width are still to expensive for me.
Btw copying a J-200 would be a great goal.

Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 7:55 am    

I just completed a stew-mac concert uke kit.A very enjoyable experience you don't need any special tools or molds. very clear instructions are included. A little pricey but what isn't. Go for it. oh ya Stew-mac people are very helpful if you have ?.
Tom Sosbe