The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blankenship PSG History & Restoration
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 2:23 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
Hi Andy, I hope you can come to the Portland Steel Jam Sept 9th! Please bring some of your cool Steels, like this one!

Hi Pete,
I'd love to be at the steel jam. Was there a few years ago just to listen and enjoyed it very much.
I do keep my eyes open for when it will happen during one of my times in Oregon.
I'll be here in Saigon in September and not back in Oregon until December and again in March.
Not sure if another is planned for those months?
Maybe you could send a PM when they are planned?
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 2:36 pm     For Daniel & Brett

Hi Daniel & Brett,
I was surprised at how nice the pedal action was on this steel. They seem to bottom out with a solid feel and require a very light touch.
Aside from the Mullen G2 I bought last year this is the easiest pedal and knee lever action I ever played.

The drawback is only having a raise or a lower on each string. If a raise is chosen then a second raise will need to be rigged some way. I have an idea how I will do that on two of my E9th strings. (The 4th & 5th strings will each have a half tone and a full tone raise) That will need to be tuned under the steel.

As much fun as this is and as cool as these old steels are, they just can't match some of the new ones being built by so many great people and small companies out there.

This steel is a blast, but I don't see how cable guitars would be an improvement in our future. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 26 Sep 2018 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 5:54 pm    

Andy, Very nice looking guitar, I have not seen one like that. Good luck with the restoration, hope it turns out great.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 5:55 pm    

double post Sad

Last edited by Bob Muller on 28 Aug 2018 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 6:13 pm     Hi Bob

Hi Bob,
Yes I wanted to get by and show it to you when we took Dominic to the airport in Portland, but time just got away from us.
It really is a sweet little steel and should be a real nice player when I get done.
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 5:17 pm     Work In Progress, Fretboard Screws

Well while waiting for my new knee levers to arrive from the USA I've been attending to some other smaller details.

One thing I found very confusing and bothersome was the screws holding the fret boards in place. They were silver just like the position markers. Some of the position markers were also round adding to the confusion.
So having those screws at all the places where there should be no position markers was getting me landing on the wrong fret too often... The screws are at the 1st, 8th, 13th, 18th and 26th fret positions where you don't want markers.

Decided to do the easy fix and just paint the screw heads black.
Shazammm! That fixed the problem and looks way better except now I got no excuse when I end up at the wrong fret! Embarassed Laughing

One other thing is the shiny black lacquer on the fret board is also a bit distracting.

Not sure if I should leave it as it is because that's original or perhaps give it a light 600 grit sanding to take the shine off and leave a matt finish Question
Guess I'll just sleep on that for a few nights. Oh Well Laughing
Maybe I'll start to clean up the pedals while I wait for the knee levers to arrive.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 6:56 am     Lewis Junior Blankenship had no milling machine?

While waiting for some more parts to arrive I thought a good use of time is to start the tedious work of polishing the aluminum parts.

Well the more I get into this project the more I realize that Lewis Junior Blankenship had no milling machine.
So many of the parts are rough cut, drilled and filed to final shape so that no two bell crank brackets or bell cranks are the same.

Still they sanded out and polished up kind of nice with a lot of elbow grease and my trusty jar of Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish.

My guess is he had a band saw with mental cutting blades as well as a drill press and some decent wood working tools, but maybe that was it. Still he made a very good operating pedal steel with whatever he had.

One more thing I may want to replace or at least find a way to improve is the way the pedal rods just take a right angle and slip into holes.
The only thing then holding them in place is a spring loaded wire and they slip out of that very easy when pushed by accident*. On one end the wire is hooked to one of those brass cup hangers you find under cabinets in old houses and it's stretched to the limit.
*Normal playing does not cause the pedal rods to fall out, but just a little pressing and they pop out. I'm thinking of drunks in a bar room setting! Laughing

The other end of the pedal rods have a connector similar to what Bigsby and Wright steels of the day had. However they are held in place with a fat wire that is also not quite up to the task. You can see them when you see the pedals. So need some ideas about what to replace those hold downs with??? Rolling Eyes Question

See, one of the wires already broke off... Anybody with a good idea, my ears are open?

I'm saving all the original parts even if I will not re-use them;

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 1:56 pm     Do you know this metal?

Okay so at first I thought this was rough cast aluminum, but Mothers won't do a thing to it.
Do you know this metal? The same metal cast in these pedals and rack was also used for the end plates I think. On the inside of the end plates it is cleaner and has more shine than on the outside.

I hope someone on the forum with better knowledge about metals than me can respond with a good answer or best guess as to what this might be and how to get it looking it's best?
The material feels quite a bit harder than aluminum and is not seeming to be effected by buffing or polishing?
Thinking I may have to settle for just a clean up with a wire brush wheel spinning on a drill? Maybe sanding will improve the look? Shocked Whoa! I'm stumped for now! Embarassed

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2018 12:43 pm     Pedal Rack, Work In Progress

I am making progress now on the pedals and rack parts by sanding them down through various grits.
They will never look perfect because of pitting and other minor flaws in the castings, but can be made presentable again.
If they won’t shine at least a clean matt finish will be fine.
Since this photo taken yesterday I’ve now done all the parts but 3 pedals with corse grits and will start to move through the other grits today until they most acceptable result is seen.

Have run into one issue working on the pedals and rack.
They have a thin wire that comes down to hold the pedal rod onto the pedal.
A little like the way Emmons steels are done.
However one is broken off and the rest are kind of crappy.

I think they could be replaced with some from Emmons steels, but I have no idea what they are called? How much they cost? Or where to get 6 of them?
If anyone has some or knows where to get them I'd be grateful. Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 1:57 am     New Cables, Work In Progress

Well sanded out all the pedals and rack parts with 120 grit this morning until I got sick and tired of sanding and put them aside for a while.

The two new knee levers arrived mid morning from Michael at Wild Horse PSG Parts.
As usual they were first class as is everything he makes. I got the Sho Bud Teardrop as being close as anything to the style of the steel.
They won't match the old knee lever, but nothing I can think of will. As it was I moved that old knee lever 6 inches closer to the changer so it will become RKR and got it working perfect.

Decided to start rigging up the cables to get the new tuning for now.
Will be real nice to have the E9th pedals set up on the left with the ABC Standard that I've been using for over 40 years;

The bell crank for pedal; 4 was bottoming out on the deck... So for now I moved it over out of the way under the front deck where there is much more clearance.
I'll have to grind the corner off that bell crank so that it will pull as far as needed without hitting the wood. Then I can line it up better. For now it seems to work just fine where it is even at that strange angle.
I've got Pedals 5&6 each raising one high string while lowering another bass string. I like that! Very Happy

The A6th back neck will stay the same as shown, but the E9th will change when I add the new knee levers like shown in this copedent. The one above is as it is now and the one below is what will change when the knees are added. I also need to finish rigging up the second raises on the 4th and 5th strings to get the full deal, but too tired to continue today;

I got the double raise on the 4th string by tuning it to raise E to F# on the Right Knee Right at the changer and then having the E to F on the left knee lever tuned under the guitar with a stop screw when it gets only to F. Works quite well and easy to reach to adjust the tuning.
Still thinking of a way to lower that string to Eb? Maybe something through the peghead, but I'm not hot on the idea of drilling through. Trying to keep it close to original without changing more than I should because I doubt he made very many steels.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 13 Feb 2019 8:28 pm; edited 4 times in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 2:26 am     Pedals Before & Almost After, WIP

Pedals Before & Almost After, WIP
Got the heavy wire brush and sanding out of the way. Oh Well
Now gotta get down through all the grits of sand paper until time to polish.
All this was done with 120 grit and I'll need to get to 400 before polishing.
Will tackle the rest of this later. Laughing

At least now they are showing promise of being very presentable later though there is really no way to get through all the pitting in the castings without grinding too much away. Laughing
I'm happy for now and still have plenty of other work to do. Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2018 6:37 am     Knee levers ready

Been a couple of weeks since I posted progress.
Have been playing it and now the strings have been on almost two months. Still not one has broken on the E9th neck.

3 Knee levers have all arrived now from Wild Horse PSG Parts. Michael's usual very good quality. They are the Sho Bud style teardrop ones being the closest to that 50's period style.

Got lucky and with just drilling out of one of the holes in each of the three bell cranks they will now work perfectly to hold the knee levers onto the cross shafts once those are made. The adjusting allen screw lines up perfectly to get the levers in position.

Decided to go ahead and buy a small Chinese combination Milling/drilling machine.
Will use it to make the cross shafts and brackets for the knee levers as well as many other projects I have in mind.

This is a picture from the web site of the shop where I got the machine;

There is a free trade zone between here and China so the machine was a little under $600.00 which is about 1/3rd of a similar machine in the states. Best is that they delivered it to my house for that.
Have bought about 10 end mills and other tools I will need for under $100.00 but will need many more. Usually tooling ends up costing as much or more than the machines they will be used on. I've ordered some of the T shaped bolts that hold the vice to the milling table and can't proceed until I have those.

The result of all this is that I will now have almost every change on the E9th that I want except for the 4th string lower to Eb... I'll miss that.
Also I worked out a way to raise a string twice. One is the E to F on LKL and the other is the E to F# on the 3rd pedal. That will also allow the B to C# on both the 1st and 3rd pedal.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 5 Oct 2018 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 1:28 am    

Great stuff Andy - I very much wanted to buy that guitar when it was for sale, but i'm glad it ended up with you. It's in good hands! Keep up the good work, and please post a video of you playing it if you could!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 9:24 pm     Thank you Abe

Thank you Abe,
Coming from you that means a lot to me.

I'm not sure how to go about recording what I do or even if any I would play would be worth listening too. Kind of lost track of recording after the end of reel to reel tape recorders.
A very average player might well be a stretch for a description of my picking.
I am the very best pedal steel player in all of Viet Nam, but I'm also the only one here. Laughing

Will send a pm.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2018 7:12 pm     Progressing slow but sure...

Progressing slow but sure...
Yesterday I mounted the neck selector switch's and buttons.

It required re-drilling the holes to 13mm which is a tad over the 1/2" size of the buttons to allow for free movement up and down.
I didn't want to do it free hand from the top for fear of shredding the wood.
That meant I'd need to do it upside down from the inside on the drilling/milling machine.

This to be sure they would be accurate and perfectly vertical I needed to make a holding device for the steel to sit very flat and horizontal.

I put soft rubber strips along the edges where the guitar sits so it would not get marked up. Also put 4 small rubber squares on the bottom so it would not slip around.
As things turned out this is a great holding device for all the work I'm doing on this. Should have done it weeks ago.

Now quite happy with the way they came out looking. Still need to do the wiring and will have to find out the best way to do that. Electronics are not my strong thing to say the least.

Now the last thing is to get the knee levers done. Will try to do it today.
That will require milling the 10mm square shafts down to the 3/8" thickness for the fittings to work as well as putting 1/4" pins in the ends for them to rotate on.
Also will need to make some brackets.

Decided to scrap the third E9th pedal and use that for the A6th neck. Will do the E to F# 4th string on a knee as I like that best. So here is the tuning I've settled on now;

This should do everything I want except for lowering the 4th E9th string to Eb.
With this simple changer you can raise or lower a string, but can't do both.
Still trying to think of a way to get that done without changing the steel too much.

Last thing is this; The strings have now been on this for 4 months and not one has broken. Not even the high G# to A 3rd string. Now I have not played it every day, but that is still amazing for this old steel with a 25" scale and no roller nuts!
If I was gigging with it I'd sure want to have extra strings just in case.....

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 17 Dec 2018 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 8:28 am    

IMHO, seems like it deserves a logo or nameplate on the front apron. Did it ever have one?

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 1:56 pm     Name or logo

Hi Barry,
I've thought the same thing....
Only seen one other Blankenship and it had what looked like a hand painted name logo on the front. It was a Blankenship & Wheeler, his partner at the time.
A friend has offered to send me an original Blankenship decal that was for his volume pedals.
Not sure yet if I'll use it. Looks like this steel of mine never had a name on it before.
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 2 Nov 2018 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 2:23 pm     That logo

Never mind...
The fellow did not want photos posted. :oops

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 3 Nov 2018 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2018 6:10 pm     A done deal now....

A done deal now except for the wiring of the neck selector switches and volume/tone controls. I still need to buy them and some suitably vintage knobs off e-Bay. Everybody knows how that happens so no need to get into that.

So now has the 3 Sho Bud style knee levers mounted and working perfectly;

This photo was when it was almost finished....

All the pedals and knee levers have very nice easy action. Considering the cable pulling system the stops feel good and firm. Its does have a tendency to return just a little tad sharp, so I tune it a tad flat to start and then it seems to return close enough.

Not sure why these things always seem to take so much longer than I expected! Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing But well worth the effort. It sure has beautiful birds eye maple.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 10:54 pm    

Beautiful work on this one Andy! Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 11:08 pm     Thanks Bob

Thanks Bob,
Yes really happy I got it and did the work.
I need to get a case made for it now.
There are some people here who do instrument cases, but not sure they can handle this?
See you when I get back to Oregon in mid December/January.
Best wishes,
Andy

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2018 11:57 pm     A suitable volume/tone pedal

A suitable volume and tone pedal for this Blankenship steel as well as for my Clinesmith T-8 is the Bigsby.
My good friend of many many years, John Sala offered to sell me his and mailed it to me yesterday.
It's in need of some TLC and a good polishing but should be perfect with these instruments. Very Happy Shocked Whoa!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 8:46 pm     Got her a nice pair of knobs

As you can see from this older photo she had the holes for volume & tone pots but they and the knobs were not there. Someone had wired the pickups directly to the output jack. That works, but no control on the steel.

I decided that before doing all the wiring she needed a nice pair of knobs. Something with that 50's look. Checked out E-Bay but didn't really find what looked quite right and the prices for so called "Vintage" knobs was too high.
The i remembered that the Dewey Kendrick steel I bought to restore has nice looking knobs and I'm still months or a year away from restoring that one.

Well her knobs were not in very good shape and it took a while to find the right allen wrench to get em off! Turned out they were made with 3mm allen screws! Strange for an American steel from the 50's. Took a while to work them off after so many years. For some reason they have a 1/4" center circle of brass?

You can see they were tarnished, but then I discovered they were each different and hand made. No measured details the same!

Looks like they were turned from 1" aluminum stock with a brass center inserted.
On inspection it seems the grooves on the sides were done with a hack saw too.
Amazing what a guy can get done with few tools but a lot of desire.

Now after a little Mothers Aluminum polish and some elbow grease they look quite nice. I'm looking forward to putting them on the steel...
She's going to have a nice pair of knobs after all! Whoa! Shocked Laughing Embarassed Very Happy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 13 Feb 2019 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2019 10:32 pm    

Andy, those knobs are awesome. Good luck on your project(s).

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2019 3:24 am     Thanks Jack

Yes, gotta admit it can be fun polishing your old knob now and then! Laughing
And the results can be something to behold! Very Happy