The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wired Mouse is skipping/jumping
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 11:50 am    

I have windows 7 and my wired mouse most of the time is skipping/jumping back--2 screens or pages. An example is when I'm on, say Electronics here on the forum, and I click on a post on that category, then when I click on the BACK ARROW--it skips Electronics and goes to the forum home page. It's doing screwy things when I'm in Paint, too--like it won't CROP properly or capture and move things around.

Last January, my computer was in for repair and it was skipping/jumping then, too. I brought the wired mouse in for them to check, which was about 5 years old, and they said there was nothing wrong with it. But, there was plenty wrong with my computer--major malware extraction and the hard drive was replaced. When I got the computer home, it was still skipping/jumping. I remembered that I still had the first wired mouse that was for my first computer--about 10 years ago, so I changed the mouse with the older one, and it worked perfectly up until about a month ago. Now, it's doing the same thing--skipping/jumping.

I went out on the internet and found suggestions about just blowing or cleaning on the red light sensor underneath the mouse--which I did, but no change. Can it be taken apart to do some thorough cleaning or are they considered disposable, and you just buy a new one? Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 2:08 pm    

Its a "throwaway" device. Mice are cheap, get a new one.

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 6:25 pm    

Wired mouses are famous for bad switches. The contacts are small and wear quickly which causes double inouts. As Jack said, "Mouses are cheap, buy a wireless mouse."

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 7:39 am    

I really like my cordless mouse. Very Happy
Erv

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 10:24 am    

Well, I've had 2 computers with their wired mouse(mouse's or mice? ha ha) for the last 10 years--guess I did great on that! Right?

Anyway, I bought a brand new wired mouse, and it's like I've got a brand new computer!!! Works great. The wired mouse is just something I never really thought too much about--I do now, though! Learned something new to me again! Thanks.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2018 1:35 am    

Hey butch, i thought that's the kinda stuff that happens only to me. Butch, ever heard of that book "Computer For Dummies"? My puter skills are so bad, that book was written in my honor. I had even thought of going on a book signing tour at one time..... Laughing

As a side note butch. Three of my dearest sweet lady friends (ladies are so much more intelligent then males) a short while back bought me a brand new HP 17" Windows 10 laptop. It's gold finished with raised gold cresents on it. A powerful beast, lightning quick. I have a situation right now where an update is "stuck" and won't finish updating. I tried the repair tool and the whole bit. I'm scared to death to touch it again. I'm using my phone....

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2018 11:07 am    

Yea, George, I know what you mean! I'm just an average computer operator, and I'm happy with that! I think there's a web site I've come across that's similiar to that "Computer for Dummies" book you're talking about--I've seen it as I've looked to solve various problems I've had with my computer.

Hey, I could use some gift-giving lady friends like you're talking about--what's your secret on that?

As far as, the trouble you're having with your computer--the computer repair people have various diagnostic tests that they can run on that. I've also used some of the testing provided by windows/microsoft, but if that's not helping, start looking for a good reputable computer repair place.