The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho bud Pro 1 two over one changer
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 4:35 pm    

What can y’all tell me about this Pro 1 Sho Bud two over one changer? I know it plays very well An has a killer Sho Bud sound. Thanks In advance

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 5:05 pm    

Johnie, can you post photos of the changer showing if the strings attach to a pin or a claw?

And can you post photos of the mechanism underneath the guitar?

As a Sho-Bud fan, that's what I'd like to see.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 6:04 pm    

For some reason the knee leaver an pedal action is real short an easy to push looks like it may have helper springs on changer.

Last edited by Johnie King on 23 Aug 2018 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 6:20 pm    

String ball hooks in slot

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 7:16 pm    

WEll that is the first series of "pot metal finger tops" as that was the first new casting of the Pot metal top fixed to horizontal raise and lowering mechanism that was still from the single/single times; so the cage the fingers ran in and out of and adjustable return spring bracket was the same. Any Sho~bud finger that has the string attach into a slot; is Pot metal and hooking on to the Pin was the great sounding aluminum top...through the years of the Professional and barrel tuning Pro II... so this Pro I was the first year of Pot metal finger top.
Also you mentioned for some reason the pedal action was real short...and it is NOT because of raise springs. You have pics of the underneath in the buy and sell and I saw how the first 3 pedals have the raises in the brass rollers in the normal Lowering part of the puller(except 6th string raise is in proper raise roller of puller)...so it moves REAL quick to pull the raise from there.
What is the serial number on that?? So this was made during the first series of "The Pro~II Custom"..and featured the first narrow series of pedals with slick tops. But still round crossbar, two hole pullers....and gumby headstock; but first square front bodies.
Ricky

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 11:58 pm    

Rick the serial number is 10397 thanks for info.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 7:56 am    

Quote:
Any Sho~bud finger that has the string attach into a slot; is Pot metal and hooking on to the Pin was the great sounding aluminum top...through the years of the Professional and barrel tuning Pro II... so this Pro I was the first year of Pot metal finger top.

Ergonomics aside, honestly, has anyone here perceived any significant difference in tone between the two and if so, is there any (metallurgical) evidence to validate this notion?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 8:22 am    

Cool Johnie; that serial number puts that Pro I at March 1976.
Hey Barry since you quoted me; I can respond.
I certainly perceived a difference in tone between the Aluminum finger top and the Pot metal finger top.
"Significant"??...I don't believe that word exists in an explanation of the opinion in what a Person believes they hear.> so validating evidence in "what we are hearing" is impossible>In my opinion.
Ricky

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 8:52 am    

OK, I get it. Sort of a "Beauty is in the, etc...." thing.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 10:43 am    

Quote:
OK, I get it. Sort of a "Beauty is in the, etc...." thing.

Exactly Barry.
And that's another thing that always bothered me is folks trying to "measure" music?? ha..like award shows and this person sings better than this person....>Sure you can see who can "Run" faster...they start from here and run to that line there and the person that gets there faster wins the award for being a faster runner......But BETTER singer; Best sounding Guitar/amp/recording....etc.....NO MEASUREMENTS to come to any of those conclusions> ONLY OPINIONS.....and that's all they are.
So why don't they freakin name it what it really is>
"Country Musics Award Opinions Show"...ha.
Ricky

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 3:48 pm    

Ricky what Year ShoBud would be your all time favorite? Thanks in advance

Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 4:42 pm    

Ricky, are you saying you should put your barrels for the raises in the hole nearest the body? I always thought that you would use the two different holes on the puller to try and balance the raises across the two strings. Talking A and B pedals. I’m curious as I’m about to pull out my pro 1 for the first time in a few years and have a tinker with the underside.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 5:23 pm    

Johnie My Favorite Year is 1973 when my ldg was built as the second Lloyd Green model made, here's a pic of it. And yes it's single single barrel tuning.

Benjamin certainly you can raise the smaller string quicker than the bigger string on the same pedal or knee lever crossbar by using different pool selections, but I never did that. I get my strings pulling closer together by certain gauges and spring tensions as I never liked a string to move that fast but everyone has their own likings you should set Yours up the way you like it to play and I don't use a plane six string by the way I use a wound 6 string you can see my string gauges with your design for 24in ShoBud through Jagwire strings.

Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2018 6:06 pm    

Thanks Ricky!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 5:01 am    

Ricky thanks I think loyds steel is a special steel his scale length is 24.5 inch I wonder if that’s a plus for sound.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 9:36 am    

Yes Johnie; Lloyd's LDG was modified to his liking; as that shorter Keyhead fixed some flaws that he heard and made the scale longer. Also the two fingers that raise twice(4th & 5th) had a raise hole added(welded) to go with a nylon tuning system.
Mine was the first Production LDG to be sent out as all the LDG's made that first year(May 1973- May 1974) were the Single/Single Barrel tuning, just like the Pro~II that was being built at that time. Then that year of '74 is when they started welding on the two raise holes to fingers then started making double/single fingers('75-'76) which led to the nylon tuning system; like the one you have here.
Ricky

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 12:08 pm    

Wow Ricky thanks for the Sho Bud history lesson very cool. I visit with Harry an David from time to time an they can tell some funny stories about the Sho Bud Days.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 12:11 pm    

Wow Ricky thanks for the Sho Bud history lesson very cool. I visit with Harry an David from time to time an they can tell some funny stories about the Sho Bud Days.