The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dwight Harris....curious ?
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 7:44 pm    

Many years ago I had the pleasure of meeting DWIGHT HARRIS in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Indeed, we jammed together on many occasions and had a great time !
Dwight loved JB and 'almost' acquired the touch of the Master.
Suffice to say, Dwight had a fabulous touch on his bakelite Rickenbacker, however he gave it all up, (suddenly) as he was unhappy with "Jawaiian" which was all the rage at that time.

Does anyone remember DWIGHT HARRIS and where is he today ?

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 5:43 am     Dwight Harris

Very Happy Hi George, I certainly do remember Dwight. He was an excellent player. Dwight, Frank Miller and I used to hang around together whenever we were in Winchester. He was also somewhat of a comedian always making wisecracks. Did you ever see his drawings for special weird bars for special effects? Just yesterday I was looking thru my stuff and found two nice photos of Dwight..
I haven’t heard from him for years and have no idea iff he’s living or dead.
Wally Pfeifer

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 8:40 am    

Dwight, with his great sense of humour, designed, made and gave me two very special and unique steel bars. One solved forever the use of slants. He designed this bar in 'steps', each bar was 1/2" in length welded together with each covering one string only...real Einstein genius (except for the fact it didn't work!)

The other bar was another stroke of absolute high intelligence which totally eliminated full 6 or 8 string bar chords....who needs them anyway ? This bar was only 1/2" in length and designed for fast single string runs...(another flop!). I still have these wonderful creations hoping the day will come when I'll actually use them as intended ! His mind was constantly working.

I am still seeking the answer as to his whereabouts today. Like me, he is probably 90(+) years ?

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 9:38 am    

Sorry to say Dwight passed away. I met him in the 70s when he lived in Dearborn MI before relocating to Florida. I had a few cassette recordings of some live dates.

I had Dwight over to my apartment to play some music. I had my newly bought Sho~Bud Professional and a few country licks and he came with his little Rick 7 st tuned to E13 and blew me away. He was a master of touch and tome as they say.

His grandson contacted me through Facebook and I was able to send him the tapes and papers I had from that time. He didn't know Dwight so it was a joy to share the talent of his grandfather with him.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 9:52 am    

This is the news I was expecting but hopefully not so. To say I am sad is an understatement as I had no idea where Dwight was today or the fact he had passed. I have my fond memories of a very fine musician and a person whom I was so proud to know. Too bad others never heard his wonderful touch and tone....I was very fortunate in that respect.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 6:14 pm    

Me too George.

In the 70's I went and saw Dwight play at a Disco. His trio played during the breaks for Hawaiian night. Smile