The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Easiest method of changing strings ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 10:28 am    

I have ALWAYS been a clutz when it comes to changing strings...some steels seem to be easier than others..(the Williams design appears to me to be the easiest, but I have never owned one). I have read thru some suggestions here but was wondering what has worked for you. My steel does not have the zert (or whatever you call it) but rather has the claw style where you insert the string...my problem has always been keeping it there while I wind from the tuner end...I have tried sticking a soft foam wedge shaped paint brush down there that sometimes helps. Sorry for such an old, trivial to many, subject, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 12:07 pm     changing

Try a slice of the pool noodles under string near picup . It will let the string wind down and give as it does.Remove before its to tight

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 12:29 pm    

no matter what type, claw or pin, they both have given me a pain in the neck when changing strings. on my bud, i used to use a rolled up cue card, but it doesn't work on my emmons. the key, for me anyhow, is to get the length right at the tuning peg and make a bend in the string. then i put it on the peg at the changer and keep tension on the string as i wind the peg with string winder. having the tension on the string to keep it on the pin seems to be the trick.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 12:53 pm    

This doesn't answer your 'claw' issue, but it sure helped me, especially the string measurement tip
https://youtu.be/qtlvEWhHvr0

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 12:56 pm    

Larry, when you get to Arizona this fall, come on by the shop and I'll show you how to change a set of ten strings in less than 10 minutes. Old ones off, new ones on.Very Happy

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 1:15 pm    

I use a "Planet Waves Drill Bit Peg Winder" that fits my power screwdriver. Less than ten bucks, and saves lots of hand-cranking.

--Al Evans

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 1:18 pm    

My only problems are with the claw on my Super Pro C6th 10th (and sometimes 9th) string; the ball of the string really doesn't want to get in there (but there's even a fix for that). At the risk of extreme overkill, and for what it's worth, here's how I approach it. (For all I know I copped this from some sticky or manufacturer's site. I know at least one bit is from the old Carter site.)

First of all take all the string off at once. The pedal steel does not have the tension issues of acoustic guitars, etc. (But if you have a Fessenden, don't turn the guitar over and mess around, as the string tension keeps the pull rods in the bell cranks. Don;t ask how I know not to do this...) On most steels I've owned, it's best to start with the first string, since there is an acute angle there and it's hard to get at if you have a fully tightened 2nd and 3rd strings already in place.

1) Hold the ball of the string roughly where it is going to end up on the finger, then measure out to two tuning-machines past the one you're aiming for (so, for the first string, out to the third string's tuner).

2) Put the tuner end of the string in first. I like to have the string going straight down through the hole in the shaft, touch the deck, and then back it off very slightly. This way you have maximum string length sticking out the other end without scraping the deck of the key-head area as you tune up the string.

3) Give the string about one and a half turns around the shaft, so that a slight amount of tension from your right hand will keep the string on there.

4) Now slide the ball end in the claw.

Here's the critical part

5) Let the string run over your thumb and under your index finger of your right hand and slightly pull the string up near near the bridge, keeping tension on both ends of the string; up with the thumb (for the keyhead end) and downward with your index finger for the changer end. Here's my drawing, for better or worse.

6) keep that tension on with your right hand while tightening the string with your left hand. (I've recently started using a small drill with a tuning machine bit which has improved my quality of life by roughly 6000%.)

7) when the string gets tight enough to start pulling your right hand downward, gradually slide your thumb out and maintain some downward pressure with your index finger until the string is securely on the key head.

Voila!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 2:03 pm    

Changing strings to me is like mowing the lawn. I do it because I have to. Now people often tell me they like mowing. I've never had anyone say that about changing strings.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 2:07 pm    

I actually like changing strings on my pedal steels! (Super Pro C6 10+9 excepted.) Dobro and six string guitar--not so much.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 3:57 pm    

I hate stopping for gas and changing strings. Like Larry, I do it because it has to be done.

I dread changing strings on my Emmons but find the 'claw'/swallow-tail idea on my Zum Encore much more 'friendly'.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 5:18 pm    

Learn from my mistake.

If you use the electric winder (I do) , if you’re not aware, you can scratch the finish on the chrome around the key heads, making little swirl marks from the drill bit winder.

Ease up on the winder so it doesn’t contact the headstock, or a piece of painters tape to protect the surface, and you’re off to the races. I’d be surprised if any builders are hand cranking.

My small pistol drill lights up when you pull the trigger, it can really help on a dark bandstand.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 5:56 pm    

Thanks guys...I really appreciate that input...I will work on Dan's idea..thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to describe that...and I will definately come by and see you Fred when I get back to Mesa in the fall...Thanks again...I know it is old hat to many of you, and should be to me, but like my dad used to say "when the ash tray gets full, its time to buy another car"...when the strings break I just buy another steel...haha..not quite that often !!

thanks again to all !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 5:49 am    

This works well for me, small wooden wedge.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 8:41 am    

Bruce
very cool...thanks !

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 1:47 pm    

Rubber wedges for tuning piano's work pretty well. I believe I got this idea from one of the fellas here on the forum.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 2:50 pm    

generally I find that winding the string around the tuning post and after a couple of winds attaching it to the finger is best. I used to hook it in the changer first and then try to wind. As already stated the Williams changer would allow for this but most will result in the string coming out before you get much tension on it. This can be extremely frustrating. I'm not a fan of pins but they work the same way, wind the string a few times and then hook on to the pin and hold it on until the string is up to a fairly high tension. Did I mention I'm not fond of changers with pins LOL. Changing strings can be quite a task at first (maybe even for a while) but there is a trick to everything. There are some good youtube videos on it now.

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 3:24 pm    

Why do a lot of you guys cut the strings? I just feel that's a unessisary step. I usually unwind the tunner and pull it off. What's the point to cut it?

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 4:20 pm    

I find it more hassle to put the string through the tuner first. Hooking it into the changer first you can simply approach the slot or pin from directly above, rather than having to bend the string down to it. Then I just maintain tension with my right hand to keep it seated while with my left hand I measure the length, cut to length (2 tuners for wound, 3 tuners for plain), put the string through the tuner, and wind it till it's tight enough for me to let go with my right hand.

On my one guitar with pegs, I use a Phillips head screwdriver to hold the ball end in place.

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 4:53 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
I find it more hassle to put the string through the tuner first. Hooking it into the changer first you can simply approach the slot or pin from directly above, rather than having to bend the string down to it. Then I just maintain tension with my right hand to keep it seated while with my left hand I measure the length, cut to length (2 tuners for wound, 3 tuners for plain), put the string through the tuner, and wind it till it's tight enough for me to let go with my right hand.

On my one guitar with pegs, I use a Phillips head screwdriver to hold the ball end in place.

Sorry. I really should of been more specific. I meant when taking strings OFF. I see a lot of people cut it in the middle, but I really don't understand why

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 9:38 pm    

Jordan Beyer wrote:
Why do a lot of you guys cut the strings? I just feel that's a unessisary step. I usually unwind the tunner and pull it off. What's the point to cut it?

If you loosen the string just enough so it won’t snap you in the face, cutting the string a couple inches from the tuning post allows you to just pull the short end off the post. There should be 3 or 4 loops around the post, if you measured your strings right when you put them on. Cutting the string saves you the time it takes to unwind with the peg winder. I always bend the end of a string so it stays in the post while I’m winding it. So when I pull the string off, there is a slight hazard of that bent end scratching the finish on its way out of the post hole, and less chance with the straight cutoff end.. If you cut all the strings the same length, they can all be rolled up and locked together in a compact loop and tossed into your metal recycling container without springing out all over the place.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2018 8:50 am    

Fred Justice wrote:
Larry, when you get to Arizona this fall, come on by the shop and I'll show you how to change a set of ten strings in less than 10 minutes. Old ones off, new ones on.Very Happy

Hi Fred,

It always takes me way longer than one minute per string to change them. I'd love to see a video of how an expert like you does that--and I'll bet others would too!

Could you post a video on YouTube or on your website (good way to attract web traffic), please?

- Dave

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2018 2:36 pm     Cheapest and easiest way

Pencil Eraser;

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 7:18 pm    

To me, the worst part about changing strings is taking the old ones off. No matter how careful I am, I always get stabbed when the string finally clears the post & snaps back into my finger. Get a chance to excersise my NYC cuss vocabulary.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2018 6:47 pm     Tuning

Pencil eraser like the above photo from Greg Lambert works for me! Wedge it in & keep on gettin up!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2018 2:04 am    

Greg Lambert,Yes!!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.