The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Sho-Bud Crossover setup
Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 3:45 pm    

I'm playing Day setup with my D lever lowering 8 and 2 and my 4th pedal which is right beside my A pedal working as my F lever. I'm finding this works really well.

I bought this guitar a little over a year ago. I knew less than nothing about playing or setting up a steel guitar but after many long hours I think things are starting to come around. This guitar was gigged in the seventies and then spent pretty much over 30 years just sitting in the case. When I went to look at the guitar I saw the Sho-Bud name and that the guitar was pretty much in show room condition so I ended up buying it for a song.

I seem to play better with my cowboy hat Smile I'm using a Fender Bassman100 amp with George L cables and a Boss RV5 reverb pedal. Cheers!

PS I just had 3 pedals working in this picture. The guitar is now playing very easy and sounds like heavens bells ringing in the meadow.

[/img]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 5:20 pm    

Beautiful! You should be able to make a lot of music on that guitar. Does it have just one neck?

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 5:53 am    

Nice, Norman!

I'm just finishing up a restoration of sorts on a Crossover I bought a couple months ago. Maybe we can compare notes.

This one was a pile-o-parts (see my earlier posts if you're interested). I now have the E9 neck assembled, tuned, and playable. I'm having trouble getting accustomed to the pedal size and spacing, compared to my other guitar, and I'm not much of a player, anyway.

I need to rewind or replace the C6 pickup before I string it up. I've never even touched a C6 neck, so that'll be another science project.

Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 8:00 am    

Hi Lee. Yes I think there are plenty of notes in this guitar to shape the melody nicely and get that classic pedal steel sound. And yes it is a D10. On the C6 neck I play it without any levers. Just a little bit of the Don Helms, Hank material.

Norman Allen

Victoria, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 8:21 am    

Hi Gary. Great looking guitar. Did it come from the Sho-Bud factory two tone. That looks nice.
Yes I'd love to share notes and ideas. As for the pedals I too had problems with the wide pedals. I rerodded my guitar using the Day setup and also trimmed down the pedals. This made a huge improvement in my playing. Also I raised the guitar up an inch and extended the pedal rods with 10-32 couplers.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 9:21 am     Pedal Size

The size of the pedals can be easily modified. Or you can modify one side of the pedal or chamfer the side, that is fouling when your rock your ankle.

It's your guitar & I don't think it will kill any future sale.

Good Luck...

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 12:20 pm    

Yes, Norman, the decks are birdseye maple and the necks and front apron are Brazilian rosewood, I think. The finish was a mess, and, worse, some previous owner had covered the whole thing in some cheesy "walnut grain" contact paper. I managed to get the paper off, and used Formby's to partially remove the lacquer finish, but left enough to be wet-sanded and polished. On the rosewood, I only cleaned the surface with naphtha & steel wool, and retained the deep lacquer-check on the front apron, to keep it looking old, but cared-for, instead of abused.

I have considered lopping off some of the pedal pivots to move them close together. Is this something either of you guys have done? Did you relocate the connections on the top, or just let the pedal rods remain at a slight angle?

For what it's worth, I also use the Day setup for the ABC pedals, simply because that's how my first guitar was set up.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 10:01 pm    

Nice Bud Norman! I too am a Victoria-based Sho~Bud player.

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2018 1:58 pm    

Norman,

I like your idea for the 4th pedal, and have made that change to my own guitar for the time being. What are you doing with pedals 5 & 6?