The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can I ask for a ballparl value of this nice Shobud pro 1?
Ronald Larson

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 9:58 am    

I am looking at this nice Shobud pro 1 to buy. What would be a value on this instrument? Any guesses on what year it was made? Thinaks for any input, Ron.

[/img]

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 4:49 pm    

That is a beautiful Sho~Bud. Even if it does not have 4 knee levers, it is atill a good buy, whatever the price is.

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 5:01 pm    

Check out the green one for sale on the forum here. It’s a real beauty, and has the awesome dustcatcher fretboards. I can’t see the changer on it, but I know the red one you’re looking at (eBay, right?) has the 3/2 changer, so it might be easier for changing the copedent. By the looks of it, I’d guess the red one is from the early 80’s but without a serial number it’s a shot in the dark. The green one is a ‘76 according to the ad.

As for value, I’m not the guy to ask, but I think they are both priced reasonably.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 7:29 pm    

Super Pro bottom side? $1500.00? Could be early 80's.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 8:17 am    

Depends on how many levers.. personally, i wouldn't even consider it at any more than $1500 if it doesn't have 4 levers.. Levers with pull parts are about $150 a pop not to mention the labor involved..

Buds have gone up, but if its a pot metal/Super Pro undercarriage[ which it looks like it is] its not all that desirable.. Nice playing guitars, nice looking as well, but very prone to wear issues... the good news is parts are readily available, but too many of them need a LOT of parts, and parts are not cheap.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Philip Ward

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 1:49 pm     sho Bud Pro 1

That was a very nice 1979 like new 6148, Pro 1, and sold quickly.....

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 9:02 pm    

That’s an 84 model, same as mine. Lively colour. I think I paid 1700 for mine (in 2006)

This model guitar is more compact (although heavier) than my S12 Williams and also smaller and lighter than my S10 Anapeg. It has the “pot metal” undercarriage which some people dis, but I don’t have (or ever have had) a problem with it

Love my Pro-1
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 9:17 pm    

No Grovers? Schaller's?
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 8:48 pm    

John, Sperzels

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 12:15 am    

Ronald Larson wrote:
I am looking at this nice Shobud pro 1 to buy. What would be a value on this instrument? Any guesses on what year it was made? Thinaks for any input, Ron.

First of all you have to want a Shobud as your primary motive. These are not made anymore and certainly these are vintage instruments.

The style (single or double, universal) is your second (or maybe it's your first?) motive. And that you show this model single E9 appears that this is what attracts you.

What Bob C mentions is true. The price has gone up because everything has gone up actually. As Ronnie Boettcher said that's a good buy "whatever the price is" as buying these is catch as catch can.

How bad do you want it?

And if this is a basic 3/2 then upgrading to more levers is easy. The parts (new aftermarket machined) are available and since these parts are one-off machined for a niche market you pay for the labor and expertise. And the cost to install them. Keep in mind that a handful if not even that make these parts and the adage get while the getting is good figures into this, then word to the wise.

Granted pot or "monkey metal" is not as sturdy as billet aluminum or stainless but that's not to say that a classic Shobud sound does not incorporate the cheap metal parts. Many musical instruments were made this way and are all over many recordings.

I went through the same route you are contemplating.

Here's my 1981 The Pro I with 5 levers. Bought the guitar for $1400 as a 3/2 set up for C6 (Mad Hank at the helm) back in 2012 and spent another $700 having three more levers installed and returned back to E9.

I'm a beginner and the Bud has enough inspiration for me to wrangle a few bar drags and solos for recordings.

I like that it is vintage wood, has a wood neck and is red. The parts are in good condition as the previous owner is a luthier himself and a wild and crazy guy on stage but respects the instrument.

I don't imagine I would be pushing this guitar until it breaks parts. But if it does, then that's par for a 40 year old guitar.

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 6:45 am    

Its a fine Steel , one of the latest versions if not the last . 5 hole pullers with the spring clips. 2 up 2 down changer. I sold my faded green 83 / 3+4 last year for I think $1800, it took a while . Definitely Sperzels which can give you some grief, hard to turn sometimes .

These are nice guitars, play well, sound good. Michael Yahl ( PSG parts) has parts if you need them.

good luck

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website