The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your Emmons student model GS-8 GS-10 Black Rock
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 12:01 pm    

I'm certain I don't stand alone as a big fan of old Emmons student model push/pull guitars. Let's see 'em, folks! Here's "Li'l Sunny," class of 1973. Purchased earlier this decade from a fellow Forumite, Sunny has been upgraded to 3x4 by Clem Schmitz and sounds like a million bucks.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 5:00 am     Gs10

Yes! I have one of the ugly bowling ball brown ones. Got it from a friend who found it at a yard estate sale for like 20$. I traded him a Squier tele for it. It was a mess, but I cleaned it up and lo and behold it played like a dream. Little thing just sings. Super sustain and life. I have used it on several recording sessions and gigs. As a matter of fact, I am about to send it to Billy Knowles for lever upgrade as soon as I save up a little more money. Meantime I am stripping it down to paint it black. Can’t take the dog poop brown finish any more. It will be the mini me to my black Emmons Legrande D10! I can’t wait to get it done. Hauling around big Emmons isn’t fun. These little push pulls are magic. I swear it just plays and sound fantastic. I should have upgraded it long ago. Nice to see love for the GS 10. Will try to post a photo once it is done.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 11:10 am    

My first steel was an Emmons GS-10. It was a wonderful steel!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Michael Endrud

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 11:21 am    

I'M WORKING ON A RED AND BLACK ONE. WOULD YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE UNDERSIDE. HAVING ISSUES WITH PEDALS THINK ONE OF THE E LOWERS IS MISSING A COLLAR. I WOULD SURE APPRECIATE IT. Mike Endrud

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 6:26 am     Emmons GS 10

Finally got my GS 10 back from Billy Knowles! Killer job. Had 2 levers added and additional pull. Its a lean mochene now! Will save me lots of trouble dragging D10 around. It was bowling ball brown. Painted it black. Plays and sounds fantastic.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 6:30 am     Emmons GS 10

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 6:32 am     Emmons GS 10

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 6:37 am     Emmons GS 10

It's a regular Emmons pedal setup with left knees lowering and raising E's and one right knee lever right that lowers 2nd string and raises 1st to G#. I used gloss black spray paint. Its now my rat rod grab and go rig! Love it. Billy Knowles set me up good.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 7:36 am    

Tom, is that a Black Rock-style "neck" on your GS-10? I just had Clem Schmitz install one on my recently acquired "bowlin' ball," and I consider it a tremendous improvement.

Mike, I'm currently on the road, but when I get home I'll snap a few pix of the underside of my sunburst if you'd like.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 8:55 am     Emmons GS 10

Its just a piece of wood I bought and painted black. Stuck it on with wood glue. Billy cleaned it up and put a proper fretboard on. I love this little thing. Cant wait to take it out.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2018 2:40 pm    

Here's couple pix of the underside of my sunburst GS-10, #161 GS. They were taken before the fourth knee lever and four new long silver handles were installed:

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2018 7:55 pm     Re: Emmons GS 10

Tom Cooper wrote:
Finally got my GS 10 back from Billy Knowles! It was [[ugly dog poop]] bowling ball brown. Painted it black. Plays and sounds fantastic.

I don't agree that the brown mica finish is THAT unattractive! But, how exactly did you go about painting yours? Did you need to remove ALL of the hardware? Or were you able to just mask it? Did you use flat-black or glossy? Was it just from a spray can or did you use more professional painting tools?

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2018 2:41 am     Emmons GS 10

I just followed YouTube video that said to sand with certain grade paper real good and spray paint. Just used cheap gloss black. Took off tuning head, and covered the rest with blue tape. Its not perfect, but you can't tell from the audience. I kinda get a kick out of the rat rod look. Couldn't take the brown anymore. I am not really a diy type, but I just had to get rid of that brown. Also my big rig is black, so its kinda cool having a black S10. But yeah, just gloss black, sandpaper, and blue tape.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2018 2:55 am     Emmons GS 10

All in all I have about 1,100$ in this thing. 200 Tele traded for it, new legs, lever upgrade. Adds up quick. But, its a push pull!

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 8:14 pm    

I recently inherited a Emmons GS-10. I know very little about Push pulls . Jack kindly got me in touch with Clem Schmitz and I ordered his book and DVD to help me understand push pulls . I think I also need a bunch of new springs . I plan on adding 3 knee levers in the future. Maybe a vertical as well . Dave

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 5:49 pm     1970’s Emmons Black Rock 3 & 4

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 6:47 pm    

Last edited by Johnie King on 4 Dec 2019 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 6:55 pm    

Johnie King wrote:

I love what you have done to that little Emmons.. Turned it into a pro level guitar.. You should consider making all those same parts available for other owners considering doing their Emmons student guitars the way yours is..bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 9:01 pm    

David LeBlanc wrote:
I recently inherited a Emmons GS-10. I know very little about Push pulls . Jack kindly got me in touch with Clem Schmitz and I ordered his book and DVD to help me understand push pulls . I think I also need a bunch of new springs . I plan on adding 3 knee levers in the future. Maybe a vertical as well.

David, I notice that your GS-10 has a neck as well (which didn't come stock out of the factory). Did you add that? I had Clem put three knee levers on my GS-10, and it's EXCELLENT. I strongly suggest you have him add your levers if you're not comfortable and experienced on push-pulls. Clem is DA MAN!!!

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 7:14 am    

Hi Steven. The neck was installed by my old buddy before he passed away. My plan is to add the 3 knee levers in the future as I really like the tone. I`m going to study the book and I know a local guy ( I`m in the middle of nowhere Canada) that has a push pull and invited me to go and he will show me how to tune and set up.I have a couple of D-10`s (not push pulls) that are heavy and when I can`t handle them in the future, have this GS ready. My other goal is to do what Johnie has done to his. Wow that`s a nice GS . Great work Johnie.
Dave

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 11:27 am    

David LeBlanc wrote:
The neck was installed by my old buddy... My plan is to add the 3 knee levers in the future...
David LeBlanc wrote:
I plan on adding 3 knee levers in the future. Maybe a vertical as well .

The raised neck is an excellent addition to a GS-10, in my opinion. Another significant upgrade is a set of pro-style adjustable legs. The additional weight adds stability to a rather lightweight instrument. Helps prevent the tendency of scooting across the floor when activating knee levers. For this reason, I'd be hesitant to add a vertical.

I don't know of anyone who has installed a vertical knee lever on an Emmons GS-10. Are there any of 'em out there?

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 12:58 pm    

Yeah I suppose I see the weight being an issue for a vertical . I`ll wait and see when I have played it more. The legs are another upgrade I plan on. Thanks, Dave

Scott Spanbauer

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 3:47 pm    

This is mine. Completely stock 1976.

Have two more levers that I got from Jim Palenscar that I'll install as soon as I get one of these

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 10:04 am    

Nice Gee Ess, Scott. You don't see all that many black ones. It undoubtedly sounds better than the far more common bowlin' balls.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 1:44 pm    

These little Emmons guitars are truly amazing regarding Push Pull tone and playability whenever properly set up. I think the bolt on changer and lightly wound Emmons single coil pickup has a lot to do with it. The Black Rock model has a few cosmetic differences...end plates, trim, small raised neck and adjustable legs but I would be pleased with either model. The heavier, adjustable legs are an easy addition. However, these guitars are all lightweight which is a plus for me. I realize that it isn’t appropriate not to to mention everyone but I would like to recognize both, Lynn Stafford on the West Coast and Billy Knowles in the East for offering their expertise and technical knowledge, work and restoration, especially regarding Emmons PP guitars. As an older player, I also appreciate those manufacturers that build fine, new, single neck, lightweight guitars. Those include and again I would like to apologize for forgetting and omitting some fine builders, not in any particular order...Mullen, Justice, BMI, Zum Stage One & Encore, GFI and Williams.