The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  no topic
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 11:47 am    

close

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 19 Aug 2018 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 12:29 pm    

Some simple rules:
1: Never connect a "shielded guitar cable" to a power-amp's output. Such cables cannot handle much power, and most certainly not what is needed to drive a speaker.
2: Use as thick a cable as you can praktically add connectors to when hooking up a speaker to a power-amp. There is no such thing as "too thick a speaker-cable", and for longer cables size really matters if you want good sound.
3: Whatever it is called – "speaker cable" or "mains extension cable" – it will do fine as long as its conductors are thick enough.
4: Make sure the connectors you put on it cannot be confused with anything else but its use as a speaker cable. You would for instance not want your speaker(s), or amp, connected to mains by accident.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 12:43 pm     gone

by by

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 19 Aug 2018 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 1:35 pm    

Would be nice to get info about setups' types/models/available connections in the Original Post, as lack of such info limits responders to supplying general information and/or pure guesswork.

Anyway, a powered speaker cabinet is "just another amp". No speaker cable needed, shielded guitar/line cables will do fine since there won't be any power drawn through it. OTOH, speaker cables won't create any problems when used as line-cables, so you have choices.

If your 2000 amp has a "Line Out", use it as output. And if the powered extension cab has a "Line In", use it as input.
Otherwise, provide more information about the units you are about to hook up to each other, so we can give more accurate advices.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 3:27 pm     ?

???

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 19 Aug 2018 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 3:53 pm    

Very Happy
Session 2000 I got, but not that the extension speaker was powered.
55 years in electronics – audio and otherwise – gives me an advantage when questions come up, but I'm afraid it hasn't turned me psychic Laughing

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 3:56 pm     jjjjjjjj

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 19 Aug 2018 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 3:07 pm    

The original post and question were clear (seemingly).
Georg's first answer was also very clear and to the point. I believe that he understood the original question as worder at face value very well.
Then......

We find out that the extension speaker is not an extension speaker, but rather a POWERED extension speaker. And, we don't know the model, so we don't know what connections are available.
At this point, the "to the point" specific advice that Georg gave in his first post to help out is basically null and void.

Also: ".....or doe,s it plug into thepower input on back of the amp?"
I assume that you meant power AMP input. I equate "power input" to being the 120 VAC wall voltage.

This a very simple problem/question/answer, but without the correct information, or complete information, all bets are off.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 9:05 pm     eoeoe

eeeeeeee

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 19 Aug 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 1:15 pm    

Quote:
b0b, please close, thanks jack

Why do you want it closed?

FWIW It's not a good idea to close threads on information forums. This board is a continuous information resource, and someone looking for the same information in the future can find it using the "search" function.

Threads are normally deleted only if foul language, spam, trolls or other bizarre content f ills every post - otherwise, on most forums, only offensive posts are deleted.

I often spend time just perusing threads on the forum if I see subjects that interest me. Very often I find useful info. IMO deleting a thread like this defeats the purpose of the forum.

None of these threads are for the OP only. It's the same on every other forum. By losing the thread you'd be preventing others from finding the same information.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 5:49 pm    

What Georg said.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2018 6:36 pm    

What Georg and Jim said. Jack, with all due respect, you posted a question and Georg was generous enough to share his extensive knowledge as he has many times in the past not clearly understanding your question. It clearly said "extension speaker" rather than powered cabinet. You assumed everyone should've known what you were asking for but obviously Georg didn't as answered what he read.

Your response to him trying to help was less than appreciative. No one is required to lend their advice here but they try to help, anyway. Jim, who also frequently shares his wisdom, also raised a valid point in that the info provided could help someone else.

Lighten up a little. He was just trying to help and answered your specific question for the extension speaker as opposed to powered cabinet. Had he known exactly what you meant, he would have answered differently as in his next post. Most everyone here is always offering to help. Maybe appreciation and a better explanation of what you needed would go further than sarcasm.
Winking

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2018 8:20 am    

Give me 5 minutes, I'll tell you everything I know. Whoa!
Erv