The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pics of Lamar
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2014 10:35 am    

Several members requested pic,,,so here are a few. This guitar is quilted maple trimmed in rosewood. Rosewood fretboard has mother of pearl inlaid frets and fret markers. Guitar is S12 universal keyless, 25" scale, with straight pull changer and precision gauged roller nut. It has 7 pedal 6 knees (only 4 knees hooked up). It not only has return springs to balance lowers,,,also compression springs in the changer block to balance raises. Split coil pick up with tone control. Has 7 slot bell cranks with VERY convenient method of hook up, thanks to a neat little hook on the pull rod, pull rod does not interfere with access to clamp screw. Also has spring loaded pedal to pedal rod hook up,. The lacquer finish is second to none. JMO,,,Lamar's guitars are America's answer to Australia's Anapeg,,,without the $???? price tag,,,or years wait. Lamar builds CUSTOM one of a kind, lacquer guitars for under 4 grand.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2014 10:51 am     Lamar

Beautiful Brother...I can see why you wanted it back....jr

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2014 1:51 pm    

My Lamar is almost identical, but an S10. Lamar does really great work and is as nice a guy as you'll ever do biz with.

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2014 2:13 pm    

Sonny, I'm speechless, but not typeless, at least for the moment. I believe that I have finally found "the last one I'll ever need" and you have it. Congratulations, my friend. Enjoy it and play it for many, many years in great health.
Duncan

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2014 7:51 am    

Man that's nice. The only reason I don't order a Lamar is I would be worried about how Long Lamar may be building guitars. I've been there when a company goes out of business, more thatn once. It can be a pain to get or find parts.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2014 8:05 am    

bob drawbaugh wrote:
Man that's nice. The only reason I don't order a Lamar is I would be worried about how Long Lamar may be building guitars. I've been there when a company goes out of business, more thatn once. It can be a pain to get or find parts.

Although it would be expensive, any good machinist could duplicate and make parts if needed. And it's not hard to visualize what parts might need replacing at some point Get spares when you get the guitar.

Now that I am done with that, this guitar is absolutely gorgeous. Great chunk of wood. Keyless, which is my favorite. And I love the way the string attaches to the finger. Everything about this guitar is a work of art.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2014 10:46 am    

Hey guys,,thanks.
Richard, I got the wood from an outfit up in the northwest that is no longer in business. Lamar did a fantastic finish on it. Although I love this guitar,,,I'm really partial to the pivoting straight tuning fingers, like i used to make for my keyless lap steels (very similar to Kline). Don't get me wrong,,,these are GREAT!!!,,,and more visually esthetic,,

Hey guys,,,,I think Lamar told me he had one that was about half finished,,,he could finish it up for around 3500,,,,I mean,,,where can you find a lacquer guitar,,,with these cutting edge, state of the art, custom, precision features for that kind of money? I think I saw a lacquer guitar listed recently for around 6 grand!!!!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2014 4:38 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
bob drawbaugh wrote:

Although it would be expensive, any good machinist could duplicate and make parts if needed. And it's not hard to visualize what parts might need replacing at some point Get spares when you get the guitar.

Now that I am done with that, this guitar is absolutely gorgeous. Great chunk of wood. Keyless, which is my favorite. And I love the way the string attaches to the finger. Everything about this guitar is a work of art.

Richard, you do have a point. I do love the looks of the keyless Lamar. The only other new guitar I would consider at the moment is a keyless Williams. I would consider a used Kline for sure.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2014 7:38 am    

Hey Bob,,,,yes,,,as our fo'bros knows,,,,I am the worlds biggest fan of Kline,,,,however,,,,if a person is concerned about parts availability,,,,or especially the skill to do the repairs,,,,,a Kline is the LAST guitar that person would want,,,(luckily a Kline never needs repair,,,LOL,,,but it may need adjusting,,or a set up change). I'm very mechanically inclined,,,and can work on, rebuild any guitar I've ever owned,,,,except Kline. I've owned a couple of Williams,,,nice guitars. I've just come to realize the past few years how far above the bar Lamar Colvin is,,,,guess some people spend a long time being under rated,,,especially someone as humble,,,and reluctant to toot their own horn as Lamar is. Unfortunately most of us don't recognize exceptional talents of people or events on our own, until it hits us over the head. Anyway,,,thanks for the compliments on my guitar,,,wish you could see/know all the little things about this guitar,,that are not so obvious,,,,if I can answer anything or,,,,?? just let me know.[/b]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2014 10:15 am    

I had a Kline, and it did break a part. I was tuning up for a gig, and when I pressed the A & B pedals, the B pedal went to the floor and stayed there. The hook on the 3rd finger broke off. I had to attach the 3rg string rod to the lowering hook, tune the 3rg string to A and have the B pedal lower the string to G#. I played the whole gig with the 3rd string being backwards, and the 6th string being normal. I ended up taking the finger for the 9th string and switching with the 3rd string. Klines really aren't that hard to work on in my opinion.

This guitar has solid stops for the pedals whereas the Kline didn't. But, I would really like to my Kline back. Best guitar I have ever had.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 6:56 am     Lamar lock lever

Does Lamar make lock levers for a keyless U-12? I wrote him several times from China but did not hear back.

I’m lazy and don’t kike to hold the lever in with the left knee. Using the right knee is out due to several hip operations.

One of the members, Mr Miller, gave me a lock lever which I
I can not get to work on the Lamar

Thanks
Steve.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 12:43 pm    

Built 2007,Converted to ext E9 5+5 I just like the Sho-Bud fretboard better than dots.

BTW love my keyless.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 1:13 pm    

Here is a picture of mine from a few years ago.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 12:44 am     String breakage

I think I read somewhere string 3 is prone to breaking on a Lamar. Is this just a myth? Thanks, steve t

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 4:19 am     Re: String breakage

steve takacs wrote:
I think I read somewhere string 3 is prone to breaking on a Lamar. Is this just a myth? Thanks, steve t

The way the changer is made, I don't see breakage of any strings unless it's a string defect.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 6:04 am    

I never broke a 3rd string on my linear pull Lamar while playing.....putting on new strings was another animal. Until I modified the 3rd string tuner, I never installed a new string without breaking at least one, and usually more before getting one to hold. Once on there successfully, no breakage.

This problem went away after I made a simple mod to that tuner.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 7:09 am     3rd string tuner modification

Thanks muchly Ross. Is that modification the one shown in the sixth of Sonny’s photos on the third string of his former Lamar. Thanks, Steve

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 7:16 am    

Howdy Steve, I hope you're doing well. I don't see anything modded in Sonny's pic. But I posted a pic a while back here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306152&sid=e860e9baed8b49e39a2124832a49b906

Installing that little pin took some of the stress off the string right at the cinch bolt...cured. I figured this fix out based on all the testing I did with my tuner design, very much inspired by Lamar and Anapeg designs.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 6:07 pm    

Just had to point out what beautiful keyless steel Lamar built just too cool for school for
Sure!!

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 1:30 am    

Wow! That's a beautiful guitar. I toy around making things and one of the biggest challenges for me is getting a good finish. It takes patience. (I'm short of).

Can someone elaborate on the advantage of a straight string pull? It's counter intuitive to me. A straight pull changes the scale length in the opposite direction that would normally raise the pitch, ie it's like moving the bar toward the nut which lowers pitch. I realize that the increased tension swamps this affect but that pull has to be more lengthy as a result.
Perhaps this is a good thing kinda like negative feedback in analog electronics?
The result is increased accuracy.
If this has been covered, kindly direct me to the specific post.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 5:22 am    

Pitchwise, a pull is a pull. The straighter it is the less it flexes the string and fatigues it to failure.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 10:50 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I had a Kline, and it did break a part. I was tuning up for a gig, and when I pressed the A & B pedals, the B pedal went to the floor and stayed there. The hook on the 3rd finger broke off. I had to attach the 3rd string rod to the lowering hook, tune the 3rd string to A and have the B pedal lower the string to G#. I played the whole gig with the 3rd string being backwards, and the 6th string being normal. I ended up taking the finger for the 9th string and switching with the 3rd string. Klines really aren't that hard to work on in my opinion.

This guitar has solid stops for the pedals whereas the Kline didn't. But, I would really like to my Kline back. Best guitar I have ever had.

I realize your point is in regard to the guitar not being impossible to work on, but holy crap. I can’t imagine doing a gig with the B pedal having a reverse effect on string 3 tuned to A. I don’t even know what kind of mind thinks up that solution, and can’t decide whether it is brilliant or if you are from another planet, Richard!

I don’t mean to hijack the thread. That Lamar is one heckuva beauty, and I had never heard of them before, so thanks for the post.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 11:15 am    

I see it has easily adjustable pedal stops.
Do they stay put generally?

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 12:34 pm    

Man I wish I had that guitar back,,especially since Lamar has stopped building. I sold it to Steve Takacs and after Steve passed away I contacted his widow (Roz) and asked her to let me know when she got around to disposing of his estate. I have tried to contact her several times in the past few years to no avail. I also sold,,and he still had a red Kline S12 that I would like to have back. Steve had quite a collection of great instruments.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 4:14 pm    

I sold mine to a fellow in Dallas a few years ago. I don't think he was/is a Forum member...probably why I never seen or heard anything about my (ex-Lamar).