The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  changed strings / b pedal stopped working
Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 7:23 pm    

Hey all,

I changed all the strings on my steel and now my b pedal no longer bends the sixth string. can anybody help me diagnose the problem?

I've had my steel for a year. I have never changed all the strings before. I broke a string (4th i think) and figured it was a good time to change them all. I changed them mostly one at a time, but i'm pretty sure the standard tension wasn't in play the whole time.After finishing the job i realized the b pedal doesn't bend the 6th string anymore, though it does bend the third. Also the A pedal feels a bit tighter than it used to.

While it's possible, I don't think changing strings would cause a mechanical issue. My only thought is that the relative tension of the strings is somehow out of whack and causing this? Does anybody have any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks very much in advance.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 7:57 pm    

Before you get to in depth with tearing things apart, check and make sure that the “ball” end of the broken string didn’t get lodged in your changer somewhere. I’ve had this happen before on a dark stage and it wedged in the changer prohibiting the pedal travel. It might be something else but this is a common problem. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 8:04 pm    

I'm thinking you put a different gauge 6th string on than what was set up on it?? Most likely if the 6th string was working and now not....that tells me you put on a gauge that takes more pull to pull it. So it WAS set up for a plain 6th string; and you put on a wound 6th string.
That's my guess....
Do you have the papers showing string gauges you just put on??
Ricky

Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 8:47 pm    

Thanks for the help gents.

David, I think you hit the nail on the head. It wasn't the broken ball, but I didn't have one string notched properly and it was hooked on something below that notch that was locking the movement. After watching a youtube video on how to change strings, I think i'm back in the game.

As my dad says, "if you don't have time to do the job right the first time, but you'll have time to go back and do it again".

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 8:10 am    

My motto is: "If at first you don't succeed, to heck with it!". Laughing Laughing
Erv

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 9:19 pm    

Good deal Matt. Glad you got it straightened out. Now, play, play, play!