The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ethos Clean II
Chuck Johnson

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 2:29 pm    

Hello. Wondering if anyone here has experience using the Ethos Clean II pedal as a preamp for PSG. I find I have a similar issue with it as I do the Sansamp Blonde, which is that it's hard to get a lot of clean gain out of it before it breaks up. The breaking up sounds phenomenal on six string, BTW.
Thanks

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 8:38 am    

I just got one. so far I play it into Furlong split cab for power amp. all my guitars have single coil pick ups in the 14-18K impedance range. on the clean (non clipping) setting I can generally get it to sound pretty clean up until gain > 1-2 PM. My preferred clean has a little hair on top so it's not peavey SS clean but very musical to my ears.

what i've noticed is that it likes my passive/POT volume pedal a lot more than the active one which makes it distort significantly more so I think that impedance/buffering and gain staging before the Ethos has a lot of impact.

FWIW, this pre-amp is GREAT. I really enjoy it, it really does feel like a great 40W BF fender in a box with a bunch of other sounds available as well. also in theory provides a DI and distortion solution as well. huge thumbs up from me.