The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please, please take care!!
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 10:05 am    

Not funny this message..
A guy I knew, a steeler from my early years, passed away.
A few years ago already, these days I talked to his widow.
He was someone that bought steelguitarstuff from money he ‘saved’ , keeping it silent for his wife. He had a room stuffed with a nice Sho Bud pedalsteel, two early seventies Fender Twin Amps with JBL speakers, Jeff Newmann material, Goodrich stuff and more more more.
His wife had no contacts in his steelguitarworld, it was his world….. not a clue about musical instruments.
When he was passed, she sold the stuff over a small newspaper. A guy came, saw it and bought all together for 600 euro’s.
I know the widow had no money, but this stuff was worth at least 5000 euro’s.
If she only knew, she had a little more to spend.
Have you ever thought: “What will happen to my stuff when I die? “
Please, help your family!
Make a list from what you have, ask a friend or someone from the steelcommunity to help selling the gear. Maybe promiss this person 5 % of the saleprice.
Make a little note for your wife with a name, address, mai, number, website or whatever and put that with your insurance-papers.
I case you are not there anymore, you show your steelers heart to your family, and not a gready punk gets your money instead of your family.
Take care…

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 10:26 am    

Great advice Johan.

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 3:25 pm    

A very timely post, in my opinion. I been thinking about this very thing lately: to make a list of what I got, what it may be worth for a fair sale price, and how for my wife (widow) to get rid of it. I would trust to the Steel Guitar Forum friends to help. ...Johan, very good word, since there may be quite a few of us getting older. ...Thank you Smile
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 3:34 pm    

I see people on here and elsewhere with a lot of stuff to sell and no clue what to ask. I agree making some sort of list is a good idea. Values can change over time of course so making updating it periodically might be a good idea.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 5:44 pm    

Great advice, Johan. Beginning Monday I will start getting my inventory ready to sell. I'm not getting any younger.. Shocked

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 4:00 am    

Yes,something to consider.

You could put price tags on your gear as a starting point. Use small price stickers with good adhesive quality, put them on the back of the guitar or underneath in the case of a psg.

Write legibly unless you have a printer.

Example: 1962 Fender Stratocaster $30,000.00

Making a list will mean having to go through the list and identifying the item more than likely a novice who can't tell a bass guitar from a six string.

Looking at musical instruments can be like looking at carburetors for many people.

Still does not take into consideration the market for the item and if at the time it's up for sale that the price you put on there now will be relevant.

There's the internet should the savvy to look up items for sale exist, hopefully falling onto a younger person. It would take examining the item, and then looking for any model numbers.

Wouldn't hurt to start liquidation for gear now to lighten the load.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 4:18 am    

This is one reason I recently sold my JCH SD-10. I loved it but, mindful of the headache I will leave my wife with, I've begun to consider parting with stuff that, if I'm honest, is surplus to my diminishing requirements.

Selling here on the Forum is mostly a cosy feeling; while many of us don't 'know' each other there's a familiarity among us and the 'bad eggs' are extremely few and far between.

With my six-string inventory, though (many times larger than my meagre steel collection), I may have to go the 'Reverb.com' route to reach a wider market.

I have put hang-tags on the cases already. I did this so that, in the event of a mandatory hurricane evacuation while I was out-of-town, Susie would know to grab my '53 000-21 and a couple of other gems. I think I'll expand this idea and put some more detail with each instrument. That would make her life easier.

Good idea!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2018 1:52 pm    

Great thing to do, i update my file every year on my 'Letter of instruction' that's in a known location, also letting your children know what value things have on your letter also slows down the worms when things get ugly as they generally do if stuff is left undone, it does not have to be a 'will' if you are married, but instructions of what to do and passwords etc etc are vital, to close up your loose ends by somebody else, and it can be a nightmare for them.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 7:08 am    

A few months ago I went under the knife and had my left adrenal gland removed,It was the reason for my stroke in 2011,so the night before surgery I put sticky notes on all of my stuff and who it should go to in case I didn't make it...Boy was my Ex pissed off when she came to drive me home from the hospital.Basically telling me that she was aware of who is getting what because it's all in my will.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.