The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National Special 8 (model 1010) question about tuning pegs
Mike Dilella

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 8:34 pm    

Hey guys...
I am just venturing into the ancient (as far as electrics go) and mysterious world of lap steel. I've played guitar for 30ish years, and in those years have lived many lives...Musician, FOH engineer (house and touring), roadie, guitar tech, guitar store salesman, drug addicted junkie...So many past lives...
Life now is a lot more simple...I have started rebuilding a little home studio again, and have been playing and practicing on my first love the guitar...

This site has been a great source of info, and as of about 20 minutes ago, I am your newest member! So, if this is a repeat question, be gentle...Thanks for having me!

Long story a little less long...I have a few vintage traditional electric guitars, but only JUST picked up my first lap steel. As you might have guessed from the subject line...I got a Vintage National Special 8 string (1010 model.) Assuming the serial # plate is the real deal...She was born in 1953

I got it off of ebay, and feel like I got it for a fair price...Though it's fairly obvious to me that some (or all of) the tuning machines have been replaced.
I don't really care all that much about the tuners originality since this is going to be a guitar for playing and recording...

That being said, one of the tuners is just not functional, and on a few of the tuners the string holes are drilled in the post in a place that forces the string to come in contact with the wood of the "headstock" between the nut and the tuner so those strings do not ring true...

I know that there isn't a whole lot of info out there about the specifics of the model, but maybe one of you guys might know what kind of tuners National would have been using for their 8 strings...Are they strip tuners? individual? I would LIKE to make it as close to original as possible probably with modern replacements.

I would rather not have to put extra mounting holes in the old girl, and also it would be nice to have the string holes in a proper place on the shaft of the tuner. So if anyone has any wisdom they could impart, or if anyone HAS the same model...Or probably the double neck 8, and wouldn't mind taking a photo or two it would put me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading this rambling post...Great forum guys!

Mike D

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 1:29 pm    

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new guitar. If it's the 1010 that sold on ebay 2 weeks back, I think you got a good deal. I usually gig with a Fender D8 console, otherwise I'd have been bidding against you! Here's a picture of the tuners on the '59 National D8 I used to own. I'm fairly certain they were the original Kluson Deluxes. Individual, not strip tuners. Stewmac will have a suitable replacement, I expect. You want tuners for a slotted peghead not solid. If you haven't already, be sure to check out Freddie Roulette on Youtube. The National 1010 is his favorite axe.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 1:19 pm    

I have a National ('54) D-8 with major tuner button rot, so I bought Kluson type tuners with metal buttons so some future owner won't have to deal with the same issue. Maybe the plastic is better now? I believe I got my tuners from Stew Mac as well. I had to buy three sets of 6 for 16 strings. I haven't installed them yet. It's on my list of projects for the next couple of weeks.

Have you not disassembled your guitar to see what's there?

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 10:11 am    

You are right about the tuners as shown in Bills pics. Individual but had a long cover over them. I not long renovated one of my Nationals and had the same problem. Still got the originals but put metal button kluson lookalikes on for the time being.

I will also bet that its the low string tuner that is binding. Its the ones closer to the nut. I freed mine a little by putting a drill bit through thus removing any paint from inside the hole especially the holes on the centre section where the ends of the tuning posts are. Does not completely cure the problem but the metal tuner buttons help by being able to put a bit more pressure on when tuning.