The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Push pull Emmons yes or no
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 6:34 am    

Are thy really special? My answer is yes an yes! But only when they are set up by the pro push pull mechanic’s. The sound of a push pull in the right hands is top notch. But even if your not a pro they will inspire you to be a pro. They are the most stable to stay in tune when they have been set up too perfection. Like the song if I had money tell you what I would do I’d go down town an buy me a push pull or Two!!!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 6:47 am    

I fought getting a P Pull for years. Then jumped in head first about 3 years ago. A 1981, 8+4. While it was a very good player right out of the box, I brought it to TWO of the local P Pull guru's, that being Doug Palmer and Billy Knowles, not sure why I went to both but I wanted their feedback and opinions. Both made a few slight adjustments here and there and taught me some tricks.

Ok so now the Steel. This is my go to Steel for my monthly gigs. It sits in a case at home and never comes out but it goes to 3 or 4 gigs each month. Sometimes more. Each gig I may tweak the open tuning with the tuning keys but thats it. I guess all those folks who told me they were rock solid were not wrong.

I've been told I play differently on the P Pull. Perhaps, but I do hear sonic differences at points on the fret board so apparently I react differently. I can hear differences in timbre which evidently make us do things differently.

What do I practice on ? a 95 Legrande II D10 which is setup all the time.

I may reverse them in a bit but I'm too lazy to take one apart and put it in the case and then take the other one out of the case an put it together. Maybe tomorrow. Sad

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 6:56 am    

Tony thanks well put. At least you didn’t stay out of the water until you learned how to swim!!!! Congrats

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2018 8:30 am    

Yes, if properly set up.

Even the lowly student models, such as the GS-10 and the Black Rock, can't be beat.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 4:16 pm    

Most PP’s I see are 8x4. Do any of you add knee levers? Or do you leave them alone and just play them stock?

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 9:20 pm    

Johnnie King: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327552&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Tom Wolverton: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2760381#2760381

If someone has a P/P and needs a technician or has questions, PM or email me. I can put you in touch with Rick Price.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 11:04 pm    

Henry Matthews from Texarkana did all the work on my push pulls, Emmons and Promats...

also Mike Skaggs in Nashville installed new knee levers on my ‘67 Emmons ... so, there is guys out there doing some awesome job on push pulls... I only named a couple guys who worked on my guitars, but there is several more who do outstanding job as well...

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 3:44 am    

Yes - they are special guitars definitely. My black D10 push pull was initially set up by my late friend Ron Mawn. Ron put ball bearings at each end of the cross shafts. The guitar originally came as 8 + 4, but I bought a vertical knee lever kit via Billy Knowles. I lower my B's to Bb with the vertical lever. That was a straight forward job.

Since Ron passed away 2 or 3 years ago, I have done any work myself. I had a little difficulty with the second string raise and lower which was in conjunction with the first string raise. I contacted my friend Clem Schmidt who sent me clear and concise instructions complete with photos. I pretty quickly got the problem sorted (thanks Clem!) and haven't need to touch the guitar's changer since. Certainly tuning the changer first is the priority as Mike Scaggs correctly pointed out in his thread.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,