The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Haddock (Olivia N.C.) (Jacksonville Florida)
Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 11:13 am    

What a friendship & musical loss for anyone that didn't know my friend, buddy, 2nd Dad, & musical extraordinaire, Mr. Larry Haddock (Olivia N.C.). Larry also lived many years in (Jacksonville Florida) and had many musical friends there as well. He taught me steel guitar, traveled to conventions together (St. Louis & Texas were the highlight ones together), spent endless nights sometimes just teaching me one song. We were so much alike it was scary sometimes, neither of us camped, hunted, played golf, or spent the early hours of morning in a tree stand. But just let one of us mention "hey wanna pick some", it was on then until we were worn out. Larry played with many well known artist, such as Tammy Wynette, & Mel Tillis, but as I always heard him say, I want to play it like I want to play it, he didn't want anyone telling him how to play his music, and trust me he didn't need anyone to tell him how to play---there was no better on the guitar than Larry Haddock. I will miss my friend dearly and could never find anyone to take his place, but I smile knowing that he was right with our God in heaven and I will see and be with him again one day to say "hey wanna pick some"--Rest my weary friend, and I will always cherish the time and years we spent together till we meet again..............

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 6:40 pm     Larry Haddock

So very sorry to hear this, and will keep His family in our thoughts and prayers. I was fortunate to have known Larry for many years and picked with Him often here in Jacksonville. I refinished a single neck fender that belonged to Larry back in the early eighties, before I actually met Him. Such a great musician. If you played with Larry, you better play it right! RIP old friend.

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 3:24 am    

I am so sad to learn of Larry's passing he was a dear friend and incredible musical genius.
I cherish the time playing music and talking about steel guitars. Larry was a real gentleman that will never be forgotten. Rest in peace

Jerry