The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Curly Chalker DVD
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 6:22 pm    

Heads Up Folks, Just received my DVD from Mike Perlowin from here on the forum. It is AWESOME. It is a live recording and shows Chalker at his best. It contains more than one session/recording and it is just outstanding. Curly is just so relaxed and plays brilliantly. Since I am a old country music guy I really liked the Haggard song, Silver Wings. He does it so great I have no words for it. Mike still has a lot of these to sell so contact him by PM here on the forum and get you one. You want regret it. J.R. Rose

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 3:19 am    

JR is right. Curly Chalker burns it up on this DVD. It is worth every dollar and then some.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 2:56 am    

the DVD also features the late Johnny Davis on lead guitar who was himself a formidable steel player for many years on the west coast. Also the bassman was forumite Jim Bob Sedgwick who's also a very good steelman in his own right as well as being a very good vocalist and lead guitarist... I'm glad you posted this as I'll have to get the DVD out as I haven't enjoyed it for a good while.......JH in Va.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 9:07 am    

Thanks J.R. I still have about 150 copies in my garage.

As I've said previously, in 1986, Jack Lox produced a string of steel guitar concerts,most of which featured a single player, playing all afternoon. The other players included Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, and Doug Jernigan. Jack videotaped all the concerts, but all his tapes were lost when he died.

Fortunately, Jack allowed me to make copy of this one. Now I wish I had copied them all.

I felt that I had to make this DVD. I felt that it was necessary to preserve this footage of Curly.

The first set was recorded at Scotty's Christmas party. I do not know what happened to Scotty's tape of that concert. I assume it's buried somewhere among his effects.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 10:08 am    

The portion recorded at Scotty's Christmas party was recorded by me. I gave Scotty a copy for his enjoyment only. I still don't understand how people are making copies and either giving them awsy or selling them without my consent.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 2:00 pm    

Johnny, first, I have to apologize to you for forgetting to give you credit for recording the St. Louis portion of the DVD. I assure you, this was an unintentional oversight on my part and not any kind of deliberate snub.

When Curly became disabled because of his stroke, I made and sold some videotapes of the material, and gave him all the money to help with his living and medical expenses. I did not make anything from the sale of these tapes.

As I previously mentioned, the California concert that comprises the 2nd and 3rd sets were recorded at a concert produced by the late Jack Lox. This was one of a series of steel guitar concerts Jack produced. The others featured Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day and Doug Jernigan, as well as one that featured a few local players including Red Rhodes and Jay Dee Maness.

Jack videotaped all these concerts. But all his tapes were lost when he died. Fortunately, I asked him if I could copy the Chalker tape, and he agreed. If he had said no, this footage would have also been lost.

After Jack and Curly died, I found myself sitting on this incredible document, which I felt I had to preserve.

I spent $6,000 making the DVD. I originally sold them for $30.00 till I recovered my expenses. Then I gave away a box of them to Curly's step-son, and donated a couple of boxes to a couple of steel guitar associations.

This project was about preserving this material. It was not a commercial venture. I am not in the business of making steel guitar videos. Be that as it may, at this point, I do make a few bucks every time I sell one. Basically it's burger money. I'm not getting rich off this. My reward is knowing that I saved this footage.

Johnny, before I close, I want to thank you for building my Millennium. I've playing it for over a dozen years, and it still plays perfectly.

I hope this clears up any doubts you may have about this project.