The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana
Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 12:14 pm    

Has anyone tried a different speaker? Thanks Gary
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 3:27 am     Boss Katana

I have the 100 watt head on!y version which has a 5"
practice speaker, therefore I can't offer an opinion as to how the stock speaker that comes in the combo amps sound. I have used my head with a Paul Franklin PF-350 and a Travis Toy TT-12. It sounds great with either speaker.

Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 9:33 am     Boss Katana

Thanks Gary
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 11:15 am    

I have the K50 and like it a lot but researched adding a different (better?) speaker but the only thing I could find was, you pretty much have to dismantle the amp to do it and maybe grind off part of the speaker frame to make it fit....too much bother for me. I'd try hooking it up to a different cabinet to see if it's worth the effort - I believe (but not sure) that it's an 8 ohm speaker but don't take my word for it. Kinda wish I'd bought the K100 but the 50 does just fine for my needs.

Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2018 12:25 pm     Katana

I have the 100.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2018 7:07 am     Boss Katana

Ship, that is one of the reasons I got the head only so I could use it with my speaker cabinet. Plus, I just like to have my amp on the floor next to me. The head has an effects loop, a working presence control. and a direct out. This is the on!y amp head I have ever seen that has a speaker. It is a small 5" but it works great for practice or tuning. Mine is selectable 5,50,or 100 watts. I have never had to use the 100 yet.

I used it last night with TT-12 speaker, a Wet Reverb, and a Goodrich Omni pedal. Had a killer sound.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 8:34 am    

I bought a Katana 100 from Steel Guitars of Nashville about a year ago and find the speaker works well. On one occasion I had it turned up fairly loud and noticed some distortion coming from it when I gave the volume pedal the gas....solution for me was to just turn down a bit.

I have thought about replacing with something better, but I have no idea what.

What a great little amp - saving my back for sure!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 10:17 am    

Skip Ellis wrote:
I have the K50 and like it a lot but researched adding a different (better?) speaker but the only thing I could find was, you pretty much have to dismantle the amp to do it and maybe grind off part of the speaker frame to make it fit....too much bother for me. I'd try hooking it up to a different cabinet to see if it's worth the effort - I believe (but not sure) that it's an 8 ohm speaker but don't take my word for it. Kinda wish I'd bought the K100 but the 50 does just fine for my needs.

https://www.boss.info/us/support/knowledge_base/115001797863/

Katana 50 >>> 4-ohms.

Katana 100 (Head, 1x12, 2x12, Artist) >>> 8-ohms.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 12:33 pm    

Katana on C6th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBIDqllLiE

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 12:56 pm    

Anyone tried using two Katana 100's?

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 2:12 pm    

I have a new Katana 100, the foot controller and a Morley ABC switch on the way. I can't wait. What sold me was the Acoustic guitar mode. I currently haul a Nashville 400, a Fishman acoustic amp for acoustic guitar and banjo and a Mesa Boogie guitar amp. I'm wanting to do everything with just one amp. Hoping to downsize my MSA Classic D10 to a S10 on Friday. I haul too much gear.

The sound guy will like only having to mic one amp. My verb on the Nashville is getting a little sketchy. I'm looking forward to nicer delays and verbs.

Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2018 10:15 am    

Hi Gary
There is a long thread over at the Gear Page, where players have swapped out speakers. Some like the changes, others don't.

Like previous posters, I bought the Katana head when they first came out.
I use it with a Tweaker cab 12" speaker w closed back, and a open back 15" Big Ben Emmenice speaker in a Tommy Huff cab. I play all of my instruments ( pedal and lap)
mandolin, acoustic and electric guitars through the Kat. It gets the job done.

I teach music lessons full time, and that Kat head with the 5" speaker is amazing!
Also, it works well for rehearsing at bedroom levels, especially on the acoustic setting.

Im very happy with mine. I don't use the sneaky amps or the editor. I use my effects board for what I need.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.