The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adding a gear down to the B pedal.on an ETS
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 4:41 pm    

One thing about Carter Guitars that I really Love is the gear down for the B pedal. (Instead of both pullers being on the same Cross rod, each puller has its own crossrod.)

In addition to my Carter I have an ETS which I really love. With aluminum legs, aluminum pedal rods and an Alumitone pickup it is the lightest guitar I have ever owned. 19 lbs out of the case. I just love this guitar.

Just this week using carter parts I added an identical gear down to the B pedal. It just gives me the sound I like. Just another example of the geniusof the legendary Bud Carter who came up with this idea.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 3:03 am     Re: Adding a gear down to the B pedal.on an ETS

Brian Henry wrote:
One thing about Carter Guitars that I really Love is the gear down for the B pedal. (Instead of both pullers being on the same Cross rod, each puller has its own crossrod.)

In addition to my Carter I have an ETS which I really love. With aluminum legs, aluminum pedal rods and an Alumitone pickup it is the lightest guitar I have ever owned. 19 lbs out of the case. I just love this guitar.

Just this week using carter parts I added an identical gear down to the B pedal. It just gives me the sound I like. Just another example of the geniusof the legendary Bud Carter who came up with this idea.

I don't understand... can you post a photo?
In your description- is "puller" the bellcrank?
And what is gear down?

BTW I have a friend with 2 ETS guitars- he loves them.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 3:50 am    

Brian Henry wrote:

I use intermediate bellcranks for "geardown" on a couple of strings on my old Dekley S10 Extended, as that was the only way to shorten the throw and pull the extended low strings in sync with the high strings on that instrument.

As the round cross-shafts on a Dekley allow for freewheeling bellcranks – cranks not tightened to the shafts, I put those "gears" on existing shafts – shafts used for other pulls – instead of installing new cross-shafts. Other than that it is the same idea, and it has worked as intended for about 3 decades now.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 3:55 am     Re: Adding a gear down to the B pedal.on an ETS

Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
I don't understand... can you post a photo?
In your description- is "puller" the bellcrank?
And what is gear down?

Geardown illustrated here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1753926#1753926

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 5:02 am    

This pic shows the original Carter gear down system as invented by Bud Carter

Y

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 6:22 am    

Is this mechanism necessary on certain brands of guitars?

For many years I played a Mullen U-12 and raised all three G#s to A on one pedal. The changes were smooth, easy, and perfectly timed...using standard gauges of strings.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 7:32 am    

I get it. But I never realized that this was a problem that needed solving.
Thanks-

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 7:38 am    

lLee, It’s not a mechanism required on any guitar. However once you have used it and see the feel on the b pedal and the extra sensitivity and assonance of both strings 3 and 6 as they raise from g# to a , you miss it if you don’t have it. That’s why I did it!

It’s not a problem Lynn with out it .......see above!

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 7:44 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Is this mechanism necessary on certain brands of guitars?
Not really necessary me thinks, but it certainly make it easier to get some changes perfectly tuned and timed on some steels – especially those with few holes/positions in bellcranks.

Lee Baucum wrote:
For many years I played a Mullen U-12 and raised all three G#s to A on one pedal. The changes were smooth, easy, and perfectly timed...using standard gauges of strings.
The geardown mechanism does not add the need for more pedals/levers. It can in fact reduce the need for more pedals/levers by making it possible to tune/time in more string-pulls on one pedal.

I use a geardown to make it possible to lower all three G# to F# with split to G with the B-pedal, as getting the extended-low G# timed with the third string G# on that lower change was near impossible on my Dekleys S10 with 5-hole belcranks. On my Dekley SD10 OTOH with 4-hole bellcranks the same change works fine without any geardown mechanism. Go figure…

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 9:22 am    

Not necessary with the wound sixth I like, but similar gear downs can also be used in reverse to smooth out a small compensator pull. I have one to nudge down the 7th string slightly from my pedal A.