The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is building custom steels?
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 1:45 pm    

Not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but I might in the next 6 months.

If I wanted to commission a custom 14 string pedal steel with a non custom tuning and copedant, who would I contact?

Specifically I'm looking to have a steel that matches Robert Schaefer's 14 string Sierra with an extended alkire eharp tuning and copedent he developed.

If that is not possible, how difficult would it be to take a current 14 string sierra and convert it to this tuning and copedent:

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 2:13 pm    

There are only two "current" 14-string Sierras, and the owner isn't looking to sell them. You could order a new one. The price would definitely be in the 5-figure range (a stock S-10 costs $10,000). www.sierrasteels.com

There were a number of 14-string Sierra Crown and Session models made. They are easy to work on. It wouldn't be hard to change the copedent to the one you describe.

I have seen a Williams 14-string pedal steel. Bill can probably be talked into making another. www.williamsguitarcompany.com

I think Jerry Fessenden built a 14-string for Robert Randolph.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 2:44 pm    

I've seen at lease two of the old 14 String Sierras for sale. Not sure if they were the Crown or session models. That might be the way to go. 5 figures is definitely out. If I remember correctly, Jerry Fessenden is in the northeast, so that is a possibility.

thanks b0b

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 4:18 pm     14 string steel

Bill, I think BMI has and is currently building 14 string steels, the Julian Thorpe model. Dan Burnham plays one and I think Terry Wood is having one built. Call Don Friche at BMI and talk to him

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 4:40 pm    

Thanks Lyle

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 4:56 pm    

I would talk to all the builders. I am pretty sure Williams, Fessenden and Mullen made 13s for Robert Randolph. I THINK Excel will make you one. I wonder if MSA would. I doubt Justice, Show Pro or Desert Rose are in the position.
Rather than ask us, ask them!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:12 pm    

Ha. Lane: I didn't even know who to ask, hence the question. I don't play pedals and don't know the manufacturers.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 6:58 pm    

My bad, my apologies.
Here's a pretty exhaustive list on the forum:
https://b0b.com/wp/?page_id=121

Of this list:
I don't think Ben-Rom would do it: he's not even made a 12 (yet). If you wanted a 10, his stuff is amazingly pretty and well-made.
I don't think Desert Rose would.
I know Show Pro won't; they're not making 12s.
Infinity has either stopped making or at least closed the list. I'm unaware of him making more than 10.
Stage One doesn't make anything but S-10s.
Simmons are pull-release, and I don't know whether he'd do a 14. Pull-release has amazing tone, but you can't have split tunings. He also doesn't do much email; give him a phone call.
All of the rest are worth an email or a call.
The Schild and WBS, being German and Swiss, feature the kind of engineering and machining you'd expect. But they're not cheap.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 5:57 pm    

In the past I've seen 1 or 2 GFI 14 string models. I haven't heard of them making anything more than a 12 in recent years though. As already stated BMI offers a 14 string model so checking with them is probably a good idea. I would say with any other builder it would have to be a custom order and likely quite costly. Best of luck in your search though. That is a very interesting tuning you have written out.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 6:16 pm    

Spoke to one of the builders recommended and they agreed finding an old Sierra 14 string is the way to go.

Someone warned me that some of the 14 stringers: some could not change the highest and lowest strings as they came without raise/lower systems for 1 and 14. Anyone know which models to avoid or anything else about this issue?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 7:11 pm    

Hi Bill Dan Burnham has two very nice 14 string BMI steels he might consider selling one of those. One is one he had Don at BMI build for him new. BMI can also build you a new14 string.

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 3:06 pm     14 String Sierra

Marc Mc Clure in the Southern California area has / had one that he wanted to sell a while back. Don't know if he ever sold it. Do a search on this forum and I think you will find the listing. If not, call Jim Palenscar and he will know how to find Marc.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 3:34 pm    

Thanks John. Looks like that listing was 10 years ago and the last time he posted. I'll assume he has sold it by now Smile